Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 03:14 PM

2,649 posts, read 7,441,550 times

Advertisements

So why is towing even enforced? It's private property, wachovia is having the cars towed, the towing company is not just out towing cars for the heck of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2008, 05:00 PM

5,615 posts, read 14,794,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smuboy86 View Post
So why is towing even enforced? It's private property, wachovia is having the cars towed, the towing company is not just out towing cars for the heck of it.
Usually those strip centers are owned by who or whatever corporation leases the space to individual businesses. Sometimes a certain number of spaces reserved for particular businesses are included in the deal - it depends, and if the bank is farther out in the lot it may be owned by a separate entity from the strip center. But in any case, a lot of the time they'll contract with a towing company to make sure that spaces are used by businesses sharing the parking lot. Customers vs. people that park there and go elsewhere. I'm not used to the deal with the towing company really costing either the business or tow truck operator anything. The business gets parking spaces used by customers (vs. people that just leave) and the towing operator gets to keep their trucks busy during times outside of rush hour.

The only time the deal gets shady is when the towing company hides around the corner and waits for someone to park and walk off, then they immediately tow. Usually there are regulations for how much time has to pass before they can haul the car off.

Old 07-28-2008, 05:38 PM

348 posts, read 1,223,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba steve View Post
Usually those strip centers are owned by who or whatever corporation leases the space to individual businesses. Sometimes a certain number of spaces reserved for particular businesses are included in the deal - it depends, and if the bank is farther out in the lot it may be owned by a separate entity from the strip center. But in any case, a lot of the time they'll contract with a towing company to make sure that spaces are used by businesses sharing the parking lot. Customers vs. people that park there and go elsewhere. I'm not used to the deal with the towing company really costing either the business or tow truck operator anything. The business gets parking spaces used by customers (vs. people that just leave) and the towing operator gets to keep their trucks busy during times outside of rush hour.

The only time the deal gets shady is when the towing company hides around the corner and waits for someone to park and walk off, then they immediately tow. Usually there are regulations for how much time has to pass before they can haul the car off.

Based upon previous experience, you cannot use the words "tow truck" without mentioning "shady."

For example, if you ever have an issue with the tow driver and ask to speak to his/her boss...good luck! Chances are it's a family member and customer service is not in their mission statement!

They drive me batty! and I don't like that Starbucks location anyway.

Old 07-28-2008, 09:25 PM

The only time I've had a positive dealing with a tow truck operator was when I called one up to haul home a non-running project car I bought.

But yeah, since I'm a car guy I've been the one friends call up when they get towed and need someone to fix the damage to the inner workings of their door the shady towing company did when they break in to release the parking brake and take the car out of gear. The one I couldn't fix was the rear wheel drive Bronco II the tow truck guy hauled with the rear wheels on the ground and the transmission left in park. At least they had to pay damages on that one...

Old 07-28-2008, 09:28 PM

4,147 posts, read 8,003,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
yeah, that's what i thought too. but i honestly haven't seen much evidence of that in the 2 1/2 years that i have going frequently to starbucks. i think that the bank or a bank employee is just trying to make some extra $$$, a "cut" of the towing fees. it's too bad that our banking system has come to that low level.
That whole strip center area has that problem. My other half worked at that Walgreen and half their park lot on the hospital side would be full and the store empty. They put up those 30 minute parking signs but they still park their anyways.

Old 07-28-2008, 10:46 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,369,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryneone View Post
That whole strip center area has that problem. My other half worked at that Walgreen and half their park lot on the hospital side would be full and the store empty. They put up those 30 minute parking signs but they still park their anyways.
I think the people shopping a Walgreens have to park at University because all the University parking is overflowing to Walgreens!

Seriously....parking is BAD at the hospital....and lots of families of patients can park for free at Walgreens or Starbucks or Wachovia.....and still walk about the same distance!

Old 07-29-2008, 12:39 AM

11,431 posts, read 19,003,195 times
Quote:

well, that's exactly what happened to me. i was in line for less than 5 minutes when another customer hollered out that they were towing a car. when i spoke with the tow truck operator, he said that i walked into starbucks and that he could tow me. he had to have been waiting there or VERY quick. i feel scammed by the whole experience. the bank was had and usually has ample spaces for its customers. they were too nasty about it.

Old 07-29-2008, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
well, that's exactly what happened to me. i was in line for less than 5 minutes when another customer hollered out that they were towing a car. when i spoke with the tow truck operator, he said that i walked into starbucks and that he could tow me. he had to have been waiting there or VERY quick. i feel scammed by the whole experience. the bank was had and usually has ample spaces for its customers. they were too nasty about it.
You probably were scammed. I could swear that 20 minutes had to pass before they could tow anyone away... a company in the town my parents live got busted for having a truck hidden around a corner, just waiting for people to walk out the strip center. It took years before they were caught doing it. That might just be the ordinance for where they live though, and I also think that towing companies are one of the lowest forms of life out there.

Old 07-29-2008, 10:49 AM

11,431 posts, read 19,003,195 times
Quote:
You probably were scammed. I could swear that 20 minutes had to pass before they could tow anyone away... a company in the town my parents live got busted for having a truck hidden around a corner, just waiting for people to walk out the strip center. It took years before they were caught doing it. That might just be the ordinance for where they live though, and I also think that towing companies are one of the lowest forms of life out there.
i phoned the texas dept of towing in austin to ask them about this. unfortunately, it is a myth (at least in texas). all they need is permission from owner of the property in order to tow the car. the tow truck can "troll" all it wants to, with no time requirement to warn the car owner. i googled the rules for washington state. apparently, there were some cases where some municipalities were contesting the legality of those tows. but not here.

Old 07-29-2008, 06:40 PM

2,982 posts, read 9,836,992 times
The only Legal thing is, they have to have an agreement with the owner of the parking lot for towing, and, there has to be signs posted. Period, no time limit. 1 second is too long. The sign is the warning, if you park in Wachovia's parking lot, do banking, then walk over to Starbucks and get coffee, the tow driver can still say, he saw you only go into Starbucks. Any private owner of a parking lot makes arrangements with a tow company, then the tow company finds out which times are the most lucrative to get quick cash. They can pick up a couple thousand on a good morning while people are enjoying their lattes. They also know if you can afford Starbucks, you can afford to get your car back quick. So those agreements with those places are the ones most sought after. There may be some payback to the strip center owner, but I doubt that Wachovia owns the land, they lease that property too, check to see who really owns the property, they are the ones that are probably setting up the tow company agreements.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio