Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2008, 11:40 AM

504 posts, read 1,457,604 times

Advertisements

networking with the principals and superintendents is definitely worthwhile.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2008, 11:47 AM

874 posts, read 2,894,268 times
Yep. (And pretty much a fan of everything Joss has put out, including Dr. Horrible.)

Old 08-02-2008, 12:42 PM

3,216 posts, read 8,557,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quest51210 View Post
networking with the principals and superintendents is definitely worthwhile.

Worthwhile if it were possible. Your best way to network with principals is to be in the school...student teaching, volunteering, etc.

Old 08-02-2008, 07:02 PM

111 posts, read 714,736 times
I do not graduate until October, therefore cannot teach until then. I accepted a teachers aide job to get my foot in the door at NISD. I hope that helps me when I graduate. That or subbing is my suggestion....

Old 08-03-2008, 08:06 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,878,910 times
frankly networking while being an alt-cert student is not likely to happen

most student teachers/volunteers/subs dont' get close to the principal of a high school or middle school unless they have gotten into trouble--there might be more opportunities in elem school because they are smaller but don't count on it...
and the only people who get close to superintendants are those who either have business dealings with the ISD or know people on the board or have a personal relationship outside work --like church or family--with the super...

there are some principals who don't like to hire subs--they think once you have been a sub that is only what you are capable of doing

definitely be more aggressive--walk your resume/cover letter INTO the schools--even if it costs you gas money--this is the time of year when there are unexpected vacancies and once registration is over there could even be jobs to be filled during the first week of school---
principals will hire people that are fresh in their memory that they know are LOOKING for a job--it is not helpful to go to job apps from March-May since many of those people could be under contract...

finding someone who is caught between a rock and hard place is how many people get jobs now...

Old 08-03-2008, 08:07 PM
SA5

60 posts, read 136,097 times
I have to disagree...at least in my case. I'm a principal at an elementary school and I do not prefer applicants to walk in. In our district (not NISD or NEISD) teacher candidates are required to be screened by Human Resources before we can consider them for a vacancy. I'm pretty sure it's the same in those districts as well. Someone coming in off the street -especially at this time of year when we are getting school ready for the teachers and kids is not better off if I have to check to see if they're screened. The real best way is to make a connection during the year as has been stated before on this thread. Sub, volunteer, make friends with the teachers on staff. I am much more likely to consider someone that I know or one of my teachers know rather than a "stranger". If you are EC-4 certified, it's even more important to do this. There are tons of teachers certified in that area, not so many in 4-8.
A music teacher is a whole different thing. There are not that many of those positions available, BUT there are not many truly qualified teachers out there either. I encourage you to troll the websites of all the districts in the area and look for postings in that field. Also, when you get an interview in one of the other districts, please try to communicate to them that you are interested in them...not using them to get into a "better" district. Yes, this has been stated to me in interviews past so that's why I say it!
Best of luck to you!

Old 08-03-2008, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SA5 View Post
I have to disagree...at least in my case. I'm a principal at an elementary school and I do not prefer applicants to walk in. In our district (not NISD or NEISD) teacher candidates are required to be screened by Human Resources before we can consider them for a vacancy.

Yes, I was assuming that the OP had already filled out an application with HR/Central Office, and submitted all of his/her paperwork.

And for someone to say that they are using you as a "stepping stone" is just ridiculous!! While another district may be your long term goal, you bloom where you are planted !

Old 08-04-2008, 12:58 AM

355 posts, read 1,375,317 times
This may sound naive but why dont people want to teach in SAISD? If I was a teacher I think id like to teach in the poorest schools I could find. Im assuming they dotn pay as well?

Old 08-04-2008, 08:55 AM

841 posts, read 1,747,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalfish View Post
This may sound naive but why dont people want to teach in SAISD? If I was a teacher I think id like to teach in the poorest schools I could find. Im assuming they dotn pay as well?
The working conditions in SAISD are not as good as the northside (no caps) schools. For example:

1. Pay is lower (call your State Rep. and tell them to fix the system).
2. Technology is lacking (a function of older schools).
3. Social Security is taken from paycheck (SAISD can fix this item).
4. Lesson Plan freedom is reduced (according to my wife’s friends in SAISD).

That said, sometimes the satisfaction can overcome the working conditions. My wife and many other good teachers prefer to teach in the “inner city” schools. After all, teaching is not about the money… unfortunately for their spouses.

Oh, and my wife got her job by student teaching and subbing in the district. Thank you SA5, for your response.

By the way, I agree with Pobre’s comment about the “stepping stone” statement, but one must consider that it was not made by a teacher.

Last edited by Montirob; 08-04-2008 at 09:22 AM..

Old 08-04-2008, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montirob View Post
]By the way, I agree with Pobre’s comment about the “stepping stone” statement, but one must consider that it was not made by a teacher. [/font]
Actually, I am a teacher
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio