Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2008, 04:14 PM

323 posts, read 829,339 times

Advertisements

We are thinking about building a house in Cibolo. The foyer and family room are open to the second story. Will this adversely effect the electricity usage as far as cooling the house? Common sense tells me it would, but I don't know for sure. I've also heard that it degrades the structural integrity of the house. Any validity in that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2008, 04:27 PM

64 posts, read 280,845 times
I am so happy you are looking into this. I personally would have never thought of this! I would think so also, but will it really make the difference if you buy or not?

Old 08-24-2008, 05:12 PM

3,216 posts, read 8,553,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklin9150 View Post
We are thinking about building a house in Cibolo. The foyer and family room are open to the second story. Will this adversely effect the electricity usage as far as cooling the house? Common sense tells me it would, but I don't know for sure. I've also heard that it degrades the structural integrity of the house. Any validity in that?
Actually, since heat rises, those rooms could be cooler. You would have the opposite issue in winter, when you want the heat to stay in those rooms. Most likely, there will be a ceiling fan for the family room. Many, many floor plans have at least one area that is open, usually the foyer.

Old 08-24-2008, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR Newbie View Post
I am so happy you are looking into this. I personally would have never thought of this! I would think so also, but will it really make the difference if you buy or not?
Honestly, it probably won't make a difference, as we are quite impressed with the floorplan and neighborhood. Now, if the electric bill would be say double, that would probably be a factor to buy or not.

Old 08-24-2008, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pobre View Post
Actually, since heat rises, those rooms could be cooler. You would have the opposite issue in winter, when you want the heat to stay in those rooms. Most likely, there will be a ceiling fan for the family room. Many, many floor plans have at least one area that is open, usually the foyer.
I was thinking that a little, but just wasn't sure. The builder we are looking into does the ceiling fans standard in the family area. I didn't like the open to below idea at first, as it takes away from 2nd floor sq footage. After looking at many homes with this, it is growing on me.

Old 08-24-2008, 07:59 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,021,548 times
We have this in our house but it's 30 years old. The "formal" living room and the foyer have a cathedral ceiling and the 2nd floor is only on the back half of the house. Unfortunately, we only have one A/C unit, so it does get hotter upstairs, but we're never up there anyway. Just at night, and it's cool enough.

We "only" have 1867 sq ft, but honestly I'd be fine with half that. When we're here, we pretty much migrate to the den, which also happens to be the coolest room in the house. If I could get a "do-over" I'd stick with a one-story, but bigger families would probably disagree.

Old 08-24-2008, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
We have this in our house but it's 30 years old. The "formal" living room and the foyer have a cathedral ceiling and the 2nd floor is only on the back half of the house. Unfortunately, we only have one A/C unit, so it does get hotter upstairs, but we're never up there anyway. Just at night, and it's cool enough.

We "only" have 1867 sq ft, but honestly I'd be fine with half that. When we're here, we pretty much migrate to the den, which also happens to be the coolest room in the house. If I could get a "do-over" I'd stick with a one-story, but bigger families would probably disagree.
I actually agree with you, less can be more. The only thing for us is we are expecting our family to grow by at least two more, which would make 6 total in the household. We'll see.

Old 08-24-2008, 09:12 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,021,548 times
Yes, if I had 6 in the house that would be totally different. As it is, my oldest will be moving out soon so then I'll have a spare room upstairs that I just don't need. Our "offices" are wireless laptops, so there is just not a need to be up there all alone. Which is good, because as I mentioned, it does get warm up there during the daytime. If you have 2 units installed when the house is built, you wouldn't have any issues with the heat of the summer.

Who does the laundry? That's when I curse the 2nd story the most.

Old 08-25-2008, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
Yes, if I had 6 in the house that would be totally different. As it is, my oldest will be moving out soon so then I'll have a spare room upstairs that I just don't need. Our "offices" are wireless laptops, so there is just not a need to be up there all alone. Which is good, because as I mentioned, it does get warm up there during the daytime. If you have 2 units installed when the house is built, you wouldn't have any issues with the heat of the summer.

Who does the laundry? That's when I curse the 2nd story the most.
Our "offices" are desktops, so we have them set up in the loft now. New house would have a separate office area.

Wife does the laundry, but the w/d is upstairs with the bedrooms, another plus if we decide to build. Our current house has the w/d in the garage...HOT!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio