Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 01:29 PM

284 posts, read 759,276 times

Advertisements

Where will you be working? I have a one-bedroom in a good part of town, Alamo Heights, but the place isn't well-run. The cost is around $700/month. Not a dump, but it has run downhill considerably in the seven years I've been here. I have found Moderator cut: apartment site, request via DM to be very accurate, actually.

You are welcomed to direct-message me, and I can give you the low-down on several places that might work. I won't go into detail in here.

Last edited by Bo; 11-04-2008 at 07:07 AM.. Reason: This recommendation was provided in your first post. We don't allow members with fewer than 10 posts to make a recommendation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2008, 10:46 PM

107 posts, read 412,780 times
I have a feeling you're definition of safe is pretty limiting. I live right by downtown, in a beautiful old apartment, for under $700, and would feel just fine walking at midnight. I can't give you a name of my apartment, because it's just a fourplex amongst hundreds in the area around Monte Vista. They won't be listed on many apartment finder websites, but there are many available. Just drive around for a few hours.

Old 10-10-2008, 10:55 PM

3,060 posts, read 7,423,949 times
Try these:

Texas Research Park - Pawel Village Residences (http://www.trpf.com/TRP_PawelVillage.html - broken link)

Efficiencies start at $350!

Old 10-10-2008, 11:37 PM

6,848 posts, read 11,802,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1212 View Post
I'm looking for a one bedroom apartment for under 750. It has to be in a SAFE area and within a 45 minute drive from San Antonio. Where can I find such a place?

Also, not a dump......can be simple but has to be clean.
Mark1212,

You're going to have to help us help you... a 45-minute drive to any location in San Antonio encompasses wayyy too much area and gillions of apartment complexes... this is Texas, afterall!

Where will you be working or going to school, what do you need to be close to, etc... you must give us some reference for a starting point.

You also have to understand that it's possible to be 45+ miles away from the San Antonio city limits on any side in 45 minutes... is that really what you want/meant?

Per ToS:
Quote:
When asking questions about a location, give as much detail as you can, so we can zero in on the info you need. If house hunting, what is your price level or rental amount. How many BR's, Baths, square feet, lot size, etc, do you need? Pets? SFH, TH, Condo, mobile home? In-town, rural, college town, military town, mountains? Schools for children? Gated community, golf course community, active senior community? Do you need to stable a horse? Is there an RV or boat trailer to consider? The more you tell us, the sooner our regular posters can reply with specificity. Same for any other criteria you have. Please avoid open-ended requests like "I'm moving to your city, tell me EVERYTHING I need to know."
There are some great helpful people here in the San Antonio forum, but you've got to do your own due diligence first for any one of them to be able to advise you.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 10-11-2008 at 02:01 PM..

Old 10-11-2008, 07:17 PM

27 posts, read 74,658 times
sorry for not being more specific. Well, it has to be one bedroom, within 45 minute drive to the center of San Antonio....the closer the better or course, in a safe area but also not in the middle of nowhere like Texas Research Park - Pawel Village Residences (http://www.trpf.com/TRP_PawelVillage.html - broken link). Preferably something in a condominium like setting with a pool / gym, ect, but if its a private appartment, that will work too. I'm not sure where I'll be working yet, so I can't give you the exact location, but the closer this apartment is to downtown, the better, and of course, the cheaper the better ....but in a SAFE location.

also, I'm 27, so it would be nice to live in an place where most residents are under 40.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 10-11-2008 at 10:25 PM..

Old 10-12-2008, 09:54 PM

616 posts, read 2,083,858 times
You might like the Medical Center. It is full of apartment complexes at all price ranges, it's safe, and it's full of students and younger people. It's about twenty minutes from downtown. Traffic can be bad, but mostly at the obvious times. You might live there for six months or a year until you figure out what you really want out of living in San Antonio.

I have some friends who lived at The Abbey at Medical Center complex. They recently moved, but only because they had a baby and found a house to rent. Rent for a one bedroom was 600-650, depending on floor plan, and there is a pool and a gym. Population is mostly students and people who work at the hospitals.

There are also a lot of apartments around the Blanco/NW Military area. That would also be a safe, pleasant part of town in your price range, and would also be 15-20 minutes from downtown.

If you want to be very close to downtown, you need to look inside the loop; another friend recently moved to the Contour Place apartments on McCullough inside 410. It's literally 500 feet across the railroad tracks from Olmos Park, which is a VERY nice, safe part of town, and it is ten minutes from downtown and two minutes from the Quarry shopping megalopolis. I don't know about a gym but it does have a pool.

Even closer to downtown, you don't get complexes, you get small apartment buildings that are privately owned and don't advertise much beyond the paper or Craig's List; you would have to drive around one afternoon and write down addresses and numbers and see if the neighborhoods meet your safety threshold.

Hope this helps a bit!

Old 10-12-2008, 10:15 PM

Only in Alamo Heights, Terrell Hills, Olmos Park, Monticello, King William, Monte Vista, etc will you find quaint places - the rest are the huge complexes. Plus, these older neighborhoods are close to downtown. You will find younger people in Loopland, but I sure as hell wouldn't live outside 410 - it's mainly urban sprawl. 45 minutes out, would put you in smaller towns...this isn't LA. I live over near Austin Hwy in Alamo Heights, but can get to the Medical Center area in 20 minutes, using the right roads, during rush hour.

Old 10-12-2008, 10:18 PM

I do NOT recommend those Contour Place Apts - not in the best part of Olmos Park.

Old 10-13-2008, 06:58 AM

616 posts, read 2,083,858 times
A)They aren't in Olmos Park. They're in Olmos Park Terrace. Anything north of the railroad tracks, or more than a block west of McCullough is outside the Olmos Park city limits.

B)I'm curious why you say to avoid them - several of my friends live there and it's quite nice for the price range. They just spent something in the range of five or six million dollars renovating the whole place and it's much more modern now. Olmos Park Terrace has also gone through a renaissance and is now clean and safe, with a very active homeowner's association.

Old 10-13-2008, 09:53 AM

247 posts, read 844,116 times
I like Don's Apartments.com. He has photos, reviews and details of apartments in all areas of San Antonio.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio