Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2008, 12:26 AM

321 posts, read 1,069,323 times

Advertisements

Back in the 70s when I was a young boy living in Laredo, I was browsing the Sunday newspaper comics one Christmas morning when I came across a particularly poignant cartoon. I remember that most of that day's comics had scenes of presents being thrashed open, but one cowboy-themed daily, which I usually skipped over as being boring, had a distinctly different scene. It depicted a lone cowboy riding a horse at dusk through a desolate snow covered forest. Each ensuing panel depicted the same lone rider on some unknown destination, till the last one showed the rider stopped atop a hilltop overlooking a valley with a bright star shining above the horizon and he simply said "Happy birthday Boss".
It struck a chord about what was to me a forgotten view of Christmas as I glanced at the aftermath of my own present opening spree that morning.

I remember it every Christmas since then and have been trying to find the name of that comic strip to see if I could somehow get a copy of that particular Christmas Sunday's print.

I looked up an online calendar and found that Christmas fell on a Sunday in 1977 so I must have been eight and I remember that particular cowboy strip had been running for years around that time. Perhaps that comic strip might also have been running in San Antonio during that era so does anyone remember the name of this strip?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2008, 07:04 AM

14,637 posts, read 35,025,045 times
Is this it?
Contents for Stan Lynde's Old Montana (http://www.oldmontana.com/prints.html - broken link)

Old 12-26-2008, 11:01 AM

321 posts, read 1,069,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
Is this it?
Contents for Stan Lynde's Old Montana (http://www.oldmontana.com/prints.html - broken link)

Wow thanks, thats the one, although my memory of that scene was off. I was only 4 in 1973 so I must have read it when it got reprinted at other times throughout the 70s.
I'll have to check if I can find that particular cartoon in a less expensive book. $150 is a little too much, even for closure on a 30 year old memory.
Thanks a lot Sapphire!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio