Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2008, 11:44 AM

5 posts, read 9,202 times

Advertisements

How successful have transplants here been making friends (close, casual, whatever)? Visited south Texas a few times for work and want to know if friendly attitude goes beyond saying hi on the street. Grew up in Chicago where folks can be real polite, but don't socialize with anyone they didn't go to high school with. Not ripping on the Midwest, just want something different.

...and before you say it, I know it's what I make of it and I need to get out and involved in activities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2008, 01:57 PM

269 posts, read 745,839 times
Very easy, we did have friends here when we arrived and one recently moved back, since then we have been blessed with new and wonderful friends also. And, have CD to thank for a few of them

Old 12-13-2008, 03:04 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,557,307 times
It's what you make of it

Like anywhere, it'll depend on the environment you're in where you do meet people. I didn't know a soul when I moved here, and over time, made a large circle of casual friends and from there, multiple close friendships including a marriage (to someone also not from here).

I think at first it can seem really hard because this is a place without a lot of transplants, or rather, many people don't leave and don't have a sense of what it's like to be from somewhere else. They already have their social circle. However, I was coming from environments where virtually everyone was from somewhere else (expats) to an environment where almost no-one was from somewhere else. So it took some adapting. That said, the city as a whole has definitely increased its number of transplants, so you won't be alone.

Old 12-13-2008, 03:07 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,036,574 times
Since this is a military city, we have lots of people moving in and out. There should not be any problems making friends, unless you're a turd.

And I can't seem to go anywhere in this town without running into someone I know--at least casually. Even clear across town. Granted, I've been here almost 24 years, but still--nearly every time I go out I run into someone I've known either through work, my kids, or play. It's nice.

Old 12-13-2008, 03:21 PM

4,263 posts, read 10,825,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
Since this is a military city, we have lots of people moving in and out. There should not be any problems making friends, unless you're a turd.

And I can't seem to go anywhere in this town without running into someone I know--at least casually. Even clear across town. Granted, I've been here almost 24 years, but still--nearly every time I go out I run into someone I've known either through work, my kids, or play. It's nice.
Ha...and there are indeed quite a few "turds" floating around here. Pun intended.

Old 12-13-2008, 03:32 PM

1,227 posts, read 3,012,977 times
I've been back and forth to San Antonio since 97' in college, and finnaly here for good after 4 years total in and out. I'd have to say it is very easy to meet people. I have been fortunate enough to build a very nice group of close friends, and many aquaintances. I am very much less active in the community social scene than in past years, but still manage to meet people through church, work, social sports events etc... Good luck, and im sure you will find this community as friendly as I have.

Old 12-13-2008, 03:55 PM

1,051 posts, read 2,542,271 times
I am pretty much a homebody and pretty quiet (until I get to know ya) and I have already made several good friends here. Lots of people I have met have been very welcoming! It does help to get out amongst the masses!

Old 12-13-2008, 04:28 PM

1,720 posts, read 4,506,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post

You called me a turd!!!

I have lots of problems making friends my age, they always want to come over and want me to cook for them, they never bring beer or other miscelaneous items. Dam cheapskates and I'll be honest I'm no fool so I end up kicking them out.

I usually hang out with a few married couples(dont think wrong) and my neighboor to the left because the old man on the right doesnt like me lol

Old 12-13-2008, 04:29 PM

1,720 posts, read 4,506,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckygreeniii View Post
I am pretty much a homebody and pretty quiet (until I get to know ya) and I have already made several good friends here. Lots of people I have met have been very welcoming! It does help to get out amongst the masses!
thats me too. at first glance you might think im madd, but I am somewhat shy but once I get to know people watch out because I love to fool around. Im the life of the party lol

Old 12-13-2008, 05:53 PM

394 posts, read 1,506,573 times
I think that's one of the hardest aspects of relocating. We had tons of great friends (and a handful of REALLY close friends) in KY. We moved here in March of this year and still don't have what we would call "close" friends, but we've met several people (a lot through CD) that we've socialized with a little bit. Have met a few neighbors and some people at my work (DH works in an office of "one"...himself LOL). It's certainly not that people aren't open to being friends, it just takes some time and certainly effort to get out and meet people. I wouldn't expect to have what I call close friends in a matter of a few months - it takes some time to make those relationships.

For those people who have children at home it might be a little "easier" cause you have school and kid activities that helps to meet people. We're empty nesters, so don't have that outlet to meet people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio