Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 12:21 AM

1 posts, read 776 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsfan16 View Post
Imagine this. You wake up at 5:30-6 a.m. in San Antonio or Brownsville, going to work each day. Instead of going in a crowded car to spend an hour driving 20 miles, you commute 250 miles, into downtown San Antonio, or you commute into the Corpus Christi or Brownsville area.

Imagine out-of-town fans going to the Alamo Dome for a Final Four game or for the Alamo Bowl (which is tonight), and vacationers could inject money into the economy, as a monorail will be built from the airport directly into the train station next to the dome.

People going to events from Corpus Christi and the Rio Grande Valley in SA would have a very short ride on the maglev (30 minutes or so from Robstown/Corpus Christi), allowing crowds to boost.

Maglev is a train that is run by electricity, with controlled magnets on each side pulling the train. It can travel up to 350 mph, as lines would connect Brownsville/Harlingen to McAllen and Brownsville/Harlingen to San Antonio (in just one hour).

My Google map, showing my maglev system, which would eventually plan to expand out to Fiesta Texas and the International Airport (both via monorail), and eventually Austin. This would boost tourism, and bring hundreds of millions of dollars into the city.

It would be huge for all of Texas, connecting areas not connected by our airlines.

Please e-mail or call Texas Governor Rick Perry, San Antonio Mayor Phil Hardberger, the Texas Department of Transportation, or your local congressman, as this is much cheaper than the Trans-Texas Corridor, and would directly help the economy of three different metro areas (especially San Antonio)

Thank you Brownsville Talk for mentioning this, way back in 2005, and inspiring my map.

[URL="http://brownsvilletx.blogspot.com/2005/08/maglev-connecting-rgv-san-antonio.html"]http://brownsvilletx.blogspot.com/2005/08/maglev-connecting-rgv-san-antonio.html[/URL]

My map, showing stations, and a local train system between San Antonio and the Rio Grande Valley, is here. Look up Southwest Commuter/High Speed Rail on Google maps, or use this link. Please join my Facebook group San Antonio Maglev, for more info.

<[URL="http://www.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&msa=0&msid=101105438019380415266.000001 12f97516fb5cb8c&z=6"]http://www.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&msa=0&msid=101105438019380415266.000001 12f97516fb5cb8c&z=6[/URL]>

What do you think about this?
Well I'll be damned! Never thought I would inspire anyone about my idea of connecting the RGV to the SA and beyond.

Thanks for your nice comments. I just ran into this forum today and couldn't believe that my blog was posted here, though I haven't really updated much on my blog in a while.

Quote:
wouldn't this attract a lot of illegals to the interior of the State?
You gatta be kdding me?!! whether you are driving or flying, there are check points along HW 77 & 281 and CBP at the airport. A maglev in our area would surely have CBP there as well. Even the buses get checked at the check posts.

It would be nearly impossible at the airport since CBP and Border Patrol is there for illegals to get through. It probably easier to get through the check posts on the HW since many illegals get out of the vehicle before the post and walk around and meet up further up north, if the heat don't kill them.

Anyways, someone's got too much time thinking about illegals instead of trains.

This idea may be a "pipe dream" today but no so far-fetched some 25 - 50 years from now when our HWs are jammed and population doubled. Flying is going to get worse with increased flight delays and cancellations. Maglevs can travel very fast, safe, and you would be able to avoid the traffic jams.

Till then, I will keep on dream'in
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2010, 02:21 PM

846 posts, read 1,805,761 times
I have finished my line, and built a branch commuter line to Corpus Christi from Robstown. This line, slower than the Maglev line, would still provide three-hour or less service from the Corpus Christi area to Houston.

Here is the link to it (use Southwest Commuter/High-Speed Rail):

Google Maps

The Facebook group for it:

San Antonio Maglev | Facebook

Old 05-02-2010, 04:23 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,928,301 times
Oh please , Cheaper Maglev Tech is at least 10 years out , hench why the Govt is funding anymore Maglev Studies. Regular Rail is still the cheapest and easiest to build....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio