Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2009, 06:42 PM

1 posts, read 1,781 times

Advertisements

Hello all!

I want people's opinion of why San Antonio is a better choice to attend college.

I was accepted to UTSA and also University of Texas- Pan American down in the Rio Grande Valley... However, I am undecided on where to go!

I know UTSA is a lot larger....but why would I be better off in San Antonio?

I really would like some opinions on why I would be better off in San Antonio, maybe it's a little dumb posting it in the San Antonio forum, lol, who would argue that it's not better, but why!?

Thank you!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2009, 07:28 PM

1,227 posts, read 3,013,811 times
Do you currenty reside in Edinburg? If so I'd stick to UTPA. They are both the UT system plain and simple. As for San Antonio it's your personal preferance. I don't think San Antonio, or Edinburg qualify as the great "college experience". If your looking for a great experience like that and want to stay in the UT system, but for some reason the Austin campus isn't in the mix then I'd suggest UTEP. It's smaller in the sence of enrollment numbers, but not as far as the campus size. El Paso is a large city with much to do like Austin, or San Antonio, but UTEP has the "college life" feel unlike UTSA or UTEP in my opinion. You might want to look into what you are going to study also in order to help you choose the right campus.

Old 01-05-2009, 07:38 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,373,103 times
I understand TXAg's point, but since you asked about two specific schools, I respond to that. SA would by far be a better experience because it IS a bigger city. UT Austin is barely an hour away for the Austin vibe/scene, more cultural advantages to a bigger city.....more diversity, easier/quicker travel to other areas either by highway or the airport. And, UTSA has acquired an excellent academic reputation as one of the stronger schools in the UT system than most of the newer sister campuses.

TXAG is correct that SA is not known as a "college" town like some other cities, but there are two UTSA campuses, several other Universities and numerous colleges. There is plenty to do here in this "no so college oriented" town.....that is, other than study!

Old 01-05-2009, 07:44 PM

2,982 posts, read 9,839,184 times
It also depends on you, what you want to study. what your career goal is. where you want to end up, and where your family is. what kind of person you are. the info you have given here is no way enough for anyone to even begin to help you. what are you wanting out of life?

Old 01-05-2009, 07:52 PM

1,227 posts, read 3,013,811 times
wCat is on the money when it comes to the 2 schools in question. There are a ton of other factors too though.....

1. Where do you currently live? If you live in the Edinburg area, and can stand staying put for a while it may be economically worth your while.

2. Are you looking to transfer into UT-Austin? If so your not really going to have a leg up at either school if that is a concern. You will get the same treatment depending on your GPA coming out of either University.

3. Are you entering your Freshman year? If so although I personally like UTSA more than UTPA I would advise you to stay put for at least the first year. Focus on your studies, and get a feel for college before making the journey anywhere.....just my opinion.

4. What is your major? This is a HUGE factor in where you would want to go to school. If you are simply taking pre requsites, and entry level courses I would STRONGLY suggest dual enrollment in a CC, and one of the Universities in order to save money, and ease into the University scene.

Anyway, hope some of this will help. If you have any questions about UTSA ask away.... I attended one year there back in 97', and im sure there a tons of people in this forum who also have. Btw...I am not assuming you are an entry level student, and if your not, and you have had the time to learn to discipline yourself while at the same time have fun and your set on either UTSA, or UTPA I'd suggest UTSA. If that is the case, and you do come to UTSA there are many college students in the New Braunfels area who share rent around the River. It still isn't your typical "college life feel", but it's a blast out there for college students if you schedule right, and carpool into campus...just a little fyi.

Old 01-05-2009, 10:11 PM

592 posts, read 2,025,576 times
utsa over utpa. More things to do

Old 01-06-2009, 04:58 PM

3,216 posts, read 8,559,893 times
I have attended both schools. Attended UTPA for graduate business courses way back when it was new to the UT system (we were living in McAllen, and there was no other choice).

I also attended UTSA about 1-2 years after that for graduate business courses. I would recommend UTSA...the caliber and (work)experience of students far outranked that of UTPA. While both universities have improved dramatically in the last few years, I would still give the edge to UTSA. UTPA is what UTSA was 20 years ago.

Old 01-07-2009, 05:00 PM

693 posts, read 1,502,946 times
I just graduated from UTSA in December. It is a pretty good college. Do you have a major or degree in mind? Make sure you check out which college has that major or degree you want. UTSA is a really big college with over 28,000 students. Do you want a big college or a small college? Good luck on picking a college.

Old 01-08-2009, 09:53 AM

38 posts, read 87,240 times
Well I am partial to UTSA mostly because I graduated from there myself. I am a firm believer that it depends on what your major is and what you are doing after graduation. Reason I say is because sometimes where you go makes a difference as to the chances you will have of finding a job in your field of study. My suggestions is that although UTSA is a big school, the Dowtown campus offers more of a relaxed atmosphere, not too many people there. Another thing, if you are coming straight out of high school, be sure and get involved in the school scene a great organization to join is CAB (Campus Activities Board,) this will ensure you will never be bored always have something to do which can sometimes be a bad or a good thing depending on how your study habits are. UTSA has a gym, with raquetball, rockclimbing, etc...and also is set to open a pool soon. Well that is all I can say....the decision is up to you...whereever you go make sure you enjoy the experience and take lots of photos...lol....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio