Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 11:41 AM

5 posts, read 25,948 times

Advertisements

I'll be in San Antonio for a couple weeks and was planning to bring my fishing pole. Are there any lakes/rivers around the area? Also, how far away is the ocean?

It's snowing in Northeast Ohio. Hopefully the weather in TX will be a bit more cooperative. I've never been to San Antonio....looking forward to it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2009, 11:45 AM

68 posts, read 233,979 times
Several lakes within 30-60 minutes. Everyone has their opinion on which one you should go to.
Corpus Christi beach is 2 hours away. But it's not much for a "beach atmosphere". Padre island is worth the extra 30 minute drive.

Old 01-06-2009, 12:11 PM

5 posts, read 25,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAFTW View Post
Several lakes within 30-60 minutes. Everyone has their opinion on which one you should go to.
Corpus Christi beach is 2 hours away. But it's not much for a "beach atmosphere". Padre island is worth the extra 30 minute drive.
Wow. Thanks for the quick come-back. I'll bring some stuff for Bass and for ocean fishing. I don't think there are too many trout in your area.

Thans again!

Old 01-06-2009, 12:58 PM

3,060 posts, read 7,422,182 times
We should have a fishing meet and greet....maybe make it coincide with our camping M&G's???

Old 01-06-2009, 01:04 PM

12,114 posts, read 14,995,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwrober View Post
We should have a fishing meet and greet....maybe make it coincide with our camping M&G's???
yeah, like thats ever going to happen!! ha ha

Old 01-06-2009, 02:00 PM

1,227 posts, read 3,011,534 times
I haven't had the chance to do much fishing here in the San Antonio area. Im originaly from East Texas where the lakes are plentyfull in fish, but are shallow, and somewhat swampy with many creeks, and coves. I've noticed that the lakes here such as Canyon, Medina, etc... are all very deep. That may help some in what kind of gear to bring. Also im not sure if it's all true, but I heard that the Guadalupe River in many areas is stocked and has some pretty decient fly fishing.

Old 01-06-2009, 02:16 PM

3,111 posts, read 9,205,935 times
I'm not telling where my good fishing holes are

j/k

Old 01-06-2009, 02:54 PM

178 posts, read 788,145 times
You also have Braunig and Calaveras lakes on the southside of town. Lake Amistad in Del Rio about 2 1/2 hrs away has some good fishing as well.

Old 01-06-2009, 03:07 PM

3,060 posts, read 7,422,182 times
Guadalupe River is good. Choke Canyon and Goose Island are my favs. Calaveras is great for a short drive & fish...

Old 01-07-2009, 11:38 AM

6 posts, read 22,016 times
Smile Plenty of places to fish

There are rivers around the SA area that are ideal for fishing.

I would recommend the Guadalupe River just a short 30 min drive north off of 281 North. Just another 15 - 30 minutes and you can be at the Blanco River or the Pedernales (the falls are very picturesque). We do have a trout stocking program that you can learn about at the Texas Parks and Wildlife website: Rainbow Trout Stocking Schedule

To the West of San Antonio, you have the Nueces and Frio rivers. If you have a day to camp, I recommend Garner State park, make your reservations since the cabins go quickly but campsites should be available if you want to "rough" it in a tent.

Most of the rivers I've mentioned you can wade in, they're not too cold but I would recommend waders. Light tackle is all you need and those panfish are real fighters! I've caught and released many larger than my hand and weighing over a lb. You'll also find information on the TPWD website on what species are available and license fees and regulations.

Please practice catch and release!

You'll notice I didn't mention the SA river, stay away from it within the city but you may find access a few miles south of town but it is not really accessible unless you know where to look.

Have a great time while in San Antonio!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio