Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 04:14 PM

42 posts, read 185,716 times

Advertisements

I'm from the Kansas City area and considering a move to SA. I've been to Dallas and didn't like the area - too much traffic and too many people. I'm under the impression that San Antonio is not as big as Dallas. Am I way off? Anyone care to make a comparison of SA and Dallas for me, or SA and the greater KC area? I am a small town girl at heart and the LBJ Freeway in Dallas about did me in!
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2009, 04:28 PM

9,851 posts, read 13,698,680 times
If I had to be in Dallas more then three months it would kill me too. Depending on where you live in San Antonio traffic can be "bad" in San Antonio terms. But unless there is a huge accident or you're on 281 close to 1604 or near 10/1604 during rush hour AND there's an accident you'll never come to a dead stop.

Don't get me wrong, there is congestion, and it gets frustrating, but not driving during our 1 hour peak rush hour is the way to avoid it.

I'm not familiar with KC traffic though, so I cannot compare SA to Kansas City, but I did live in Dallas for a summer and it can be painful in more spots then San Antonio can be.

The best way to see would be to come here to see, though.

Old 03-13-2009, 04:32 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,286,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KansasDB View Post
I'm from the Kansas City area and considering a move to SA. I've been to Dallas and didn't like the area - too much traffic and too many people. I'm under the impression that San Antonio is not as big as Dallas. Am I way off? Anyone care to make a comparison of SA and Dallas for me, or SA and the greater KC area? I am a small town girl at heart and the LBJ Freeway in Dallas about did me in!
Thanks!
I just sent you a message

Old 03-13-2009, 06:24 PM

874 posts, read 2,894,008 times
In general, traffic in San Antonio is nowhere near the level of the Dallas area. As mentioned above, there are areas that are typically congested, but there is not the overall amount of traffic as there can be in Dallas. There is rush hour here as you would expect in any major city plus some areas that seem to be always busy no matter what and areas that are busier on the weekends or busy only during peak times... There is another thread currently going about left lane hogs v. those who know left lane is for passing only. One traffic peeve of mine here is that people slam on their breaks or drive at about 2 m.p.h. to check out an accident scene or even just sometimes when a police officer has pulled someone over. There also always seems to be construction, but that again is typical of any city.

We lived in Omaha and traveled often to KC for work, weekend trips, and to watch family members in various athletic events. We never really encountered horrid traffic there. The only comparison I can really make is that traffic in the Stone Oak/281/1604 area here might be likened to Christmas shopping traffic around the Overland Park/Leawood-ish areas - but the Stone Oak/281/1604 traffic can be like that every day.

Old 03-13-2009, 06:33 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,286,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffy888 View Post
The only comparison I can really make is that traffic in the Stone Oak/281/1604 area here might be likened to Christmas shopping traffic around the Overland Park/Leawood-ish areas - but the Stone Oak/281/1604 traffic can be like that every day.
Two words:
Olathe Southbound (in KC)

Old 03-13-2009, 08:06 PM

140 posts, read 493,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KansasDB View Post
I'm under the impression that San Antonio is not as big as Dallas. Am I way off? Anyone care to make a comparison of SA and Dallas for me, or SA and the greater KC area?!
Well San Antonio has a metro populaton of about 2 million, and the Dallas metro is about 6.1 million people, so simple answer is there is no comparison. Dallas traffic is much worse.

Old 03-14-2009, 06:52 AM

42 posts, read 185,716 times
Thanks to all for the helpful replies I can handle average traffic (like I-35 southbound in Olathe)! I was intimidated by LBJ Freeway in Dallas (and wow the number of big trucks). I'm 55 and this will be a big change for me. Hopeful that San Antonio will prove to be friendly and based on the posts on this forum, it appears to be a happy and friendly place. I know SA was very good to my KU Jayhawks last year in the Final Four!
Rock Chalk
Thanks again!

Old 03-16-2009, 10:16 AM

1,314 posts, read 3,178,320 times
I can summarize it quite simply for you:

Overall (and that's the key word), traffic in SA is better than Dallas, but worse than KC (but closer to KC than to Dallas). Also be aware that many of the freeways here are wider than what you typically are used to in Greater KC.

Old 03-16-2009, 08:01 PM

190 posts, read 524,278 times
We just moved here from KC last August, and let me tell you... San Antonio's traffic is HORRIBLE compared to KC! I have to say though, I love San Antonio, so I'll put up w/ the traffic. I have to say the drivers are worse than KC too.... they all tailgate horrible.

If you do move here, choose a place that will be close to where you will either be working, or mostly frequenting. We live in the northern part of SA, and it's right in the middle to where I can get to either 281, 1604, 410 or 10 easily.... depending on traffic. Good luck!

Old 03-16-2009, 09:20 PM

4,147 posts, read 8,002,235 times
I'm not sure why anyone would say the traffic here is horrible. You can get anywhere in thirty minutes during rush or not unless you are on 281 north of 1604! The only other exceptions are the 1604 area where their are lights are if their is some bad accident.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio