Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 09:03 AM

1,606 posts, read 3,412,421 times

Advertisements

I was looking on the SA main page and saw that the SAFD was going to start accepting applications from June 1-30. I am planning on applying based on the outcome of my Border Patrol hiring process, (which I have a bad feeling may be terminated after how the polygraph went ).

Ok so I was thinking this may be a perfect opportunity if the Border Patrol thing doesn't work out, because it has a really good starting pay (for a fire dept.), and all you need is a high school diploma.

But there is a problem. I was looking at the minimum requirements. You have to be 19 years of age by the time of the written entrance exam. I am only 18 years old, but I turn 19 on July 25th. Applications are being accepted until the end of June.

So my question is; How long after I apply will it take for the written entrance exam to take place?

I am hoping that if I apply in the latter part of June, that the exam wont be until July 25th or after.

Should I call the FD?

Oh ya, and while I am at it, I live in Corpus Christi. Will living in CC affect ability to apply for a city job in SA?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2009, 09:13 AM

14,637 posts, read 35,036,574 times
You do know there is a polygraph required in the application process with the SAFD also, right?

http://www.sanantonio.gov/safd/Recruit.asp

Last edited by sapphire; 03-30-2009 at 09:14 AM.. Reason: added link

Old 03-30-2009, 09:17 AM

2,517 posts, read 11,053,741 times
don't choose a career just because it pays well. You need to really love it and want it in order for you to be good at it and enjoy it. Money means little if you are not happy. You will be weeded out in 1-2 years by the real firefighters if you get in their with the wrong intentions.

Old 03-30-2009, 09:31 AM

1,606 posts, read 3,412,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
You do know there is a polygraph required in the application process with the SAFD also, right?

http://www.sanantonio.gov/safd/Recruit.asp
I sure do. The only reason I didn't do good was because I moved a lot. The pressure thing they wrap around your arm hurts after cutting off your circulation for 5 minutes. My arm swelled up like a balloon and was purple and icy cold! It wouldn't stop twitching. Plus I was pretty nervous. I am only 18 years old. It is kind of nerve-racking being strapped up with cords all over your body not knowing what to expect.

But its not like I lied about anything. That is one thing I wouldn't do during a hiring process.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heydade View Post
don't choose a career just because it pays well. You need to really love it and want it in order for you to be good at it and enjoy it. Money means little if you are not happy. You will be weeded out in 1-2 years by the real firefighters if you get in their with the wrong intentions.
Exactly why I am applying. I have always wanted to be a fire fighter since I was a young kid but decided not to take college classes for it because the pay was low. Thats why I am doing criminal justice now. My family revolves around public service. My dad and uncle are cops. My great uncle is a fire chief i believe for Pharr, and I have a couple of family members who are dispachers. I would never do anything I wouldn't enjoy! But SA offers a really great pay. I think being in dangerous situations and putting myself in harms way is fun exciting. And going on ride alongs with my dad is exciting! Especially going 130 miles an hour down the freeway with the sirens wailing! What an adrenaline rush! I also love playing with fire .

But anyways, would anyone happen to know how long after the exams are from when you apply? Or should I call the FD for that? Also: Will living in CC interfere with applying for a city job in SA?

Old 03-30-2009, 11:22 AM

1,366 posts, read 4,488,647 times
yes, i would definately call the FD to answer your question so that you get the actual, correct answer...

if it is anything like the PD test you put in your application and they give you a test date which is apx 2 weeks after they stop accepting applications...

also, being in CC should not have any impact on your chances of getting on ... but they will expect you to be at the testing center and if passed at any other locations needed on time, obviously, so you will have to make sure you leave with plenty of time from CC to make it to SA on time

good luck!!!

Old 03-30-2009, 08:45 PM

288 posts, read 926,673 times
Generally, the written examination is at the end of July or beginning of August. Don't take for granted that just because the fire department is hiring that you have a good chance. I don't know you from Adam so don't take that personally, it just goes with the process. When you take the written exam you will be sitting aside anywhere from 2,500 to 4,000 other people. The official rankings will be posted approx. six weeks after taking the exam. The entire hiring process is based off of the ranking list. Actually being hired can take anywhere from 12-18 months. For my hubby, it was 18 months. If you truly care about being hired, the process will be the most stressful period of your life. You will begin with the written exam, followed by the CPAT, personal history statement, and BPAD. From there you will move onto the medical exam, polygraph, and psychological exam. I may have missed some steps in there, but it is all stressful. Throughout the process your initial ranking is what is continually used. If you pass a step and the guy ranked before you also passes, you don't move on until he does. You must be very through on the personal history statement. They can and will find out anything about your present or past life. If you have a fiance they will interview her, and possibly if you have a girlfriend. They will talk to your neighbors, friends, family members, employers, etc. Just be prepared for it all. I know for a man who had already been a firefighter for six years it was tough, I can't imagine the toll it will take on a younger guy. Oh, and to answer your question, living in CC will make no difference. Guys and girls are hired from all over the country. Like I said before, if you place high on the written exam and continue passing each step, then you'll stay ahead of others. Ultimately, it depends on that and how many people they want to hire.

Old 05-18-2009, 11:47 AM

3 posts, read 14,919 times
is there any other good study material for the san antonio fire exam besides whats on their website.

Old 05-18-2009, 04:04 PM

288 posts, read 926,673 times
My husband used Barron's and his experience from taking the test 8 years before getting in Honestly, you don't need to have any knowledge about firefighting to take the test. You need to be a good test taker and have a good memory. If you served in the military you get five extra points.

Old 05-19-2009, 08:02 AM

23 posts, read 82,446 times
If you read the PDF that is on the site, it states the exam is on August 14th.

It has other important information, so I would suggest you start there.

Old 05-19-2009, 08:06 AM

23 posts, read 82,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcloud View Post
is there any other good study material for the san antonio fire exam besides whats on their website.
You can go to College Bookstores and ask a clerk to direct you to the FireFighter exam booklets. They should have at least two different ones. Each with exercises and practice exams.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio