Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 10:22 AM

22 posts, read 43,943 times

Advertisements

I just want to ask for your opinions please. I am thinking of moving to SA. I have no job lined up but my boss is willing to let me be on unemployment from Massachusetts which will (after all tax deduction) be about $1300 monthly if I stay till August to finish year end book closing. This should covers all my basic payments that I need to make. I can collect unemployment for about 6-9 months. Do you think I can secure a job in that amount of time? I really want to move to SA. I do not have to worry about a place to live. I can live with family members for free for as long as I want but I must be able to find a job in this time to continue paying my student loans and others things. I am an accountant with a 4year college degree and 4 years of experience (1.5 in public and 2.5 in private). Is this realistic. Please be honest. Thanks in advance for any thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2009, 11:07 AM

278 posts, read 693,560 times
i wouldnt move to any city without a job unless youre open to the possibility of working as a waiter/waitress for 6 months.

Old 04-30-2009, 12:06 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,036,574 times
Sure, why not? Leaps of faith make you a stronger, better person. You don't mention kids or anything, so now's the best time to do things like that.

Old 04-30-2009, 12:08 PM

190 posts, read 524,346 times
Personally, I wouldn't. Are you able to collect unemployment if you quit your job? I thought those who were let go were the only ones entitled to employment.

Whatever you do, I wish you good luck!

Old 04-30-2009, 12:15 PM

2,260 posts, read 5,618,137 times
Before doing so, I would verify the unemployment deal - make sure that that's set in stone. I'd also verify living arrangements - make sure none of those family members will drive you out of your gourd while you live with them.

And finally, there are no guarantees. No one has any way of knowing whether or not they'll even have their own job in 6 months, much less what will be available.

Old 04-30-2009, 12:25 PM

790 posts, read 1,881,391 times
If you have an accounting degree and experience, I think you'll be fine. I say go for it. I moved to DC in the middle of a recession (during the 90s). Had no job and even sold my car before leaving Texas. I also moved back to San Antonio in 2004 with no job and found one with little trouble. Crappy pay, however.

If your boss / company in MA will allow you to file for unemployment -- that's the only wrinkle. When the paperwork is filed, they have to accept / sign off on that.

Good luck!

Old 04-30-2009, 12:27 PM

2,982 posts, read 9,836,992 times
And accounting/bookkeeping jobs in San Antonio are not easy to come by. Do you have any accounting software skills, if so, which ones. Most of the jobs that are out there require software skills and usability. I know at least 10 different ones and they still give me tests for skills before I get the interview. I've had my degree and experience for many years, but, it also depends on what kind of hourly wage you are expecting. Coming from Mass to SA, TX, you are going to be shocked at the wage difference for an "accountant" here as there.
Unless you have a Masters or CPA.
also as a previous poster, lindagrace noted, UE benefits aren't guaranteed until you start getting them, that last minute hiccup with the ex-employer may change everything and you never know.

Old 04-30-2009, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amybeccaz View Post
Personally, I wouldn't. Are you able to collect unemployment if you quit your job? I thought those who were let go were the only ones entitled to employment.

Whatever you do, I wish you good luck!

Thanks so much. I will have a little while to decide.

Old 04-30-2009, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
Sure, why not? Leaps of faith make you a stronger, better person. You don't mention kids or anything, so now's the best time to do things like that.

That was what I was told by the people I know. I had been through so much this year (sad story) that i figure a change will be good for me.

Old 04-30-2009, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinsativ View Post
And accounting/bookkeeping jobs in San Antonio are not easy to come by. Do you have any accounting software skills, if so, which ones. Most of the jobs that are out there require software skills and usability. I know at least 10 different ones and they still give me tests for skills before I get the interview. I've had my degree and experience for many years, but, it also depends on what kind of hourly wage you are expecting. Coming from Mass to SA, TX, you are going to be shocked at the wage difference for an "accountant" here as there.
Unless you have a Masters or CPA.
also as a previous poster, lindagrace noted, UE benefits aren't guaranteed until you start getting them, that last minute hiccup with the ex-employer may change everything and you never know.
What can I realistically expect? I know that with lower cost of living will also come lower wages. I just want to be able to find something to at least pay my bills and live. I don't need an extravagant lifestyle. Just want a peaceful life with good neighbors. I always realized that pay isn't everything. I took my current job for less pay than my previous one. I do like my job and love the people I work with but this place just have too many painful memories for me now. I just want to move somewhere. I have visited SA twice and like it very much. Thanks for your reply.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio