Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 07:46 PM

1,131 posts, read 1,779,133 times

Advertisements

Ok, so a while back on this forum, I believe, someone made a throwaway comment about turning the quarry that now houses Six Flags into a big lake.

Well, that got me thinking, with all the quarries in and around SA, that would be a great idea, not the Six Flags quarry but another quarry, one that's inside 1604.

With how good San Antonio is in redeveloping abandoned quarries ( the Zoo, Sunken Gardens, Japanese Tea Gardens, Quarry Market, Quarry Village, Quarry Golf course, Six Flags, The Rim, NEISD Sports complex, special needs park, etc) I thought maybe a water filled quarry could work. It's worked in other places, so why not.

Anyway, I was looking around and I found one, between DeZavala and Huebner on the north side that would be pretty big.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=...8&z=15&iwloc=A

Not only could it be a recreational lake but also a water reservoir for the aquifer.

Does anyone have any information on the current status of this quarry?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2009, 09:39 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,979,962 times
From that image, that quarry still looks very active! Zoom in and you will see vehicles all over the NW side of it.

As for filling a quarry full of water, I think that would take a tremendous amount of water and for what purpose? There are already two large lakes, both man-made and fed by river systems; whereas a quarry would have no natural source. Also, we had several water-filled quarries near where we lived in southern Belgium, and they have almost no recreational value as the design of the quarry itself doesn't present much of one (high walls and limited access to the water). I honestly don't know why the quarries in Belgium held water, but considering the greater volume of rain that area gets compared to San Antonio, I would almost suspect it was just a matter of them being filled naturally.

So what purpose would you propose for this quarry lake? If it is for recreation, there would be no boating, sailing or skiing as the small size would be prohibitive, plus there is already Medina and Canyon lakes. If it is for diving, then there is no financial incentive as the customer base would be rather small. Plus, I don't think there would be much of interest under the waterline. I really can't think of any motivation to fill an old quarry with water...

Old 04-30-2009, 09:46 PM

1,131 posts, read 1,779,133 times
Recreation in terms of a park, walk/jog track, swimming, etc

Water could be piped in via the aquifer.

Old 04-30-2009, 10:20 PM

I think the dangers and cost of a water-filled quarry would prohibit any development.

And filling it would put an great strain on the already depleted Edwards Aquifer. I don't think there would be much support for the filling of an ex-quarry when water restrictions are being enforced.

Don't get me wrong, I wish there were more lakes and rivers in the area; but this proposal just doesn't seem feasible.

But at least they are paving the greenbelt from OP Schnabel up past Prue and southward towards where Leon Creek crosses under Bandera Road! Once completed that will be a nice area to walk/job/bike, and I am happy to see that the mountain bike trails on the opposite side of the creek are still standing!

Cheers! M2

Old 05-01-2009, 05:16 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,787,321 times
Limestone is porous - that water isn't gonna stick around in the quarry for too long.

Old 05-01-2009, 08:10 AM

905 posts, read 2,958,421 times
That quarry is most definitely still active. Trucks routinely come and go all day long, even to the point of having an officer to direct traffic. I believe it is owned/operated by Vulcan Materials Co.

Old 05-01-2009, 08:21 AM

12,114 posts, read 14,991,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonfresh View Post
Recreation in terms of a park, walk/jog track, swimming, etc

Water could be piped in via the aquifer.
It could be like Borne City park. Gone out there a few times with the kayaks. Nice thought.

Old 05-01-2009, 09:14 AM

1,893 posts, read 5,585,752 times
I agree with M-3. It's a totally ridiculous idea.

Old 05-01-2009, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper1 View Post
It could be like Borne City park. Gone out there a few times with the kayaks. Nice thought.
I think you meant City Lake in Boerne, which was created by the damming of Cibolo Creek and creating a reservoir to aid in flood control...(full story here (http://www.ci.boerne.tx.us/Facilities/BoerneCityLakePark/tabid/394/Default.aspx - broken link)). That was a completely different situation than filling up an ex-quarry. It is more along the lines of why and how Medina and Canyon lakes were formed.

Boerne City Park is off Hwy 46 East, and a different location. It borders Cibolo Creek as well, but if you've kayaked it, I would be impressed as there was very little water when we hiked there!

Just didn't want people going to City Park looking for a place to kayak. The 100 acres of water at City Lake is a much better venue for doing that!

Cheers! M2

Old 05-01-2009, 12:10 PM

12,114 posts, read 14,991,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
I think you meant City Lake in Boerne, which was created by the damming of Cibolo Creek and creating a reservoir to aid in flood control...(full story here (http://www.ci.boerne.tx.us/Facilities/BoerneCityLakePark/tabid/394/Default.aspx - broken link)). That was a completely different situation than filling up an ex-quarry. It is more along the lines of why and how Medina and Canyon lakes were formed.

Boerne City Park is off Hwy 46 East, and a different location. It borders Cibolo Creek as well, but if you've kayaked it, I would be impressed as there was very little water when we hiked there!

Just didn't want people going to City Park looking for a place to kayak. The 100 acres of water at City Lake is a much better venue for doing that!

Cheers! M2
Didn't realize I spelled Boerne wrong!

It's been a few years since I was there but I know it was in Boerne. Wherever the alligator was. There were other people there with their kayaks, paddle boats and canoes. People were even swimming. We had a great time bbqing (sp??).

I think it would be great to have more places like this around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio