Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 06:47 AM

13 posts, read 40,145 times

Advertisements

I wondered if anyone else noticed that most of the cars on their lots seem like no care was taken at all to clean them up? I met with very nice helpful salespeople, so I don't mean to offend. But the cars I looked at were nasty, sticky and needed attention. (Camry's, Hondas, Chevy's, etc.) Heck, one car still had someone's sunglasses in the little cubbie for them. I bought a car from them about 6 yrs ago and remember being impressed with how clean their inventory was. Not so now.

It's just me, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2009, 06:50 AM

2,982 posts, read 9,836,992 times
Business is slow, detail when they get an order for them. not as they used to, in advance.

Old 05-22-2009, 06:56 AM

I had a nice chat with the guy helping me at the location at I-10 and he seemed embarrassed by the condition of a few cars in particular. He said the same that they detail the car until the customer is satisfied after you decide to buy. Still, was gross to sit in some of them and I'm a guy. I figure the ladies would really be put off by what I saw. I know business is slow but....

Old 05-22-2009, 07:06 AM

3,111 posts, read 9,209,594 times
Oh no, I think that is a bad idea. I wouldn't buy a car if it still had someone else's funk on it .
I am trying to sell a truck (maybe) and my dh wanted to take it to work to show a guy. I would not let him take it until I cleaned it and all it really needed was vacuuming. It wasn't even that dirty at all.

I think that is going to be bad for business, IMO.

Old 05-22-2009, 07:10 AM

yeah, exactly! I think Carmax is a good company, fantastic concept. Heck, i'm a repeat customer. I just wondered if I'm getting picky as i get older.

Old 05-22-2009, 07:31 AM

2,982 posts, read 9,836,992 times
Yeah, they need to do a minimal clean, I agree, full detail isn't necessary, but to leave the previous owner's nic nacs and trash around ain't gonna help. Easier to make excuses than to make a sale tho.

Old 05-22-2009, 08:24 AM

81 posts, read 232,456 times
I have purchased 3 vehicles from carmax my daughters car, my truck and my wife's minivan.

we have always found the vehicles clean that we looked at, although when we were looking for a minivan for my wife we had one transfered from Austin Carmax and that one looked like crap. I even told the saleperson, "you can tell this did not come from the SA Carmax" we purchased another minivan that was already on the lot.

My daughter also likes carmax she went back and purchased her minivan from there also.

we love their warranty on the vehicles

Old 05-22-2009, 09:01 AM

1,086 posts, read 3,360,993 times
I wouldn't buy a car from a place that wouldn't let me haggle. I did however sell a couple of vehicles to CarMax.

Old 05-23-2009, 10:22 AM

4,263 posts, read 10,825,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eger View Post
I wouldn't buy a car from a place that wouldn't let me haggle. I did however sell a couple of vehicles to CarMax.
What if the price was already better than your best haggling could get you?
I wouldn't rule it out then.

Old 05-23-2009, 11:02 AM

4,330 posts, read 7,237,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by civilguy View Post
I wondered if anyone else noticed that most of the cars on their lots seem like no care was taken at all to clean them up? I met with very nice helpful salespeople, so I don't mean to offend. But the cars I looked at were nasty, sticky and needed attention. (Camry's, Hondas, Chevy's, etc.) Heck, one car still had someone's sunglasses in the little cubbie for them. I bought a car from them about 6 yrs ago and remember being impressed with how clean their inventory was. Not so now.

It's just me, right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by civilguy View Post
I had a nice chat with the guy helping me at the location at I-10 and he seemed embarrassed by the condition of a few cars in particular. He said the same that they detail the car until the customer is satisfied after you decide to buy. Still, was gross to sit in some of them and I'm a guy. I figure the ladies would really be put off by what I saw. I know business is slow but....
You know, I can remember looking at new cars years ago that were in inventory at dealers, and they looked like nobody had touched them since the transporter dropped them off. No hub caps or wheel covers installed, seats wrapped with clear plastic, generally dirty exteriors and windows, etc. And if you wanted to test-drive one of them, there was a good chance the battery was already dead, so you would have to settle for a substitute that would start.

But in a complete turnabout, the last couple of times I purchased a new vehicle, everything on the lot had already been prepped, including application of the Texas Inspection Sticker & dealer add-ons/accessories. Once the purchase agreement was signed, it was simply a matter of running it through the wash one final time, and mounting the paper tags. They had it ready by the time all the paperwork was finalized. I guess they want to get the customer in the vehicle and out of there before they get cold feet and change their mind!

I don't expect a new or used vehicle to be ready to be driven off the lot immediately upon purchase, but I do expect it to be presentable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio