Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2009, 09:37 AM

3,770 posts, read 8,292,219 times

Advertisements

SA Current - NEWS+FEATURES: NOTES FROM THE UNDERGROUND ECONOMY

I really enjoyed this piece and found it pretty interesting to read about how people are making it and hustling these days in SA. Really good read!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2009, 09:46 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,111,983 times
Looks like all of what's described in the article is underground because it's illegal. Let's not turn this thread into a debate for whether it should be illegal. It would be a lively debate, I'm sure, but it's off-topic in this forum. Feel free to start a thread in the Politics and Other Controversies forum to debate it and post the link here.

Old 05-22-2009, 11:19 AM

18,130 posts, read 25,286,567 times
I didn't read the whole thing,
but that's exactly what you see in 3rd World Countries, at least in Latin-America (I believe some people want to push us toward that economic model)
Where you have a huge percentage of the population being force to break the law by stealing or work in the "underground" economy to be able to feed their families.

Go to any 3rd World country and you'll see plenty of that.
At least they are trying to make a living without stealing something from somebody else.

Old 05-22-2009, 11:59 AM

944 posts, read 2,041,215 times
This sort of stuff is true pretty much everywhere, certainly in every decent-sized city. The story totally ignores much more prevalent legal things that happen on Craigslist and other consumer to consumer mediums. I bought a microwave and some furniture off Craigslist, I got good prices and no taxes and I doubt the cash I paid in either case got reported on anyone's tax return. The higher income and sales taxes get the more prevalent this will be.

Old 05-22-2009, 12:49 PM

791 posts, read 3,960,300 times
While it makes for more titillating reading to hear about some folks' illegal activities, I suspect it's far more typical that the people "hustling" to make rent these days are simply working harder/longer and taking on extra jobs. I took on a teaching job at a local university to make sure I had a little extra cushion during uncertain times. My nephew took on a second part-time job to cover school expenses. Many people are working more these days, but it's just not that exciting to read about.

Old 05-22-2009, 01:01 PM

1,086 posts, read 3,360,600 times
Knock on wood, but in this struggling economy I was lucky enough to keep my job when I moved from Fl as a consultant, and work my current job in SA to make ends meat. Unfortunately wifey has been out of work for a while so one salary covers her missing salary. But in the past, I did other things similar to the people mentioned in the article to make a little extra. With the way the economy is, I expect illegal activity to increase. Fortunately, my field is in Fraud Prevention and detection so my job outlook is good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio