Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2012, 01:54 PM

4 posts, read 14,777 times

Advertisements

Hello, Does anyone here have any old maps, information on the old Cold War Fallout Shelters? I grew up in Corpus Christi and I still have my parent's old Civil Defense maps and information packs.

Since many of those places are being sealed up or destroyed by local authorities, I would like to create a pictorial documentation of these and their history if that is still possible.

Does anyone have any information about such things and the underground world that may be in the sub-basements of local schools or churches.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2012, 03:29 PM

258 posts, read 323,836 times
Nope but how about some underground caves!

Old 07-10-2012, 08:55 PM

894 posts, read 1,547,261 times
Most of the fallout shelters in San Antonio (or any major city for that matter) were in the basements of tall buildings and they aren't being sealed up, but just not maintained as shelters. The ones I remember in San Antonio were downstairs at Joskes, some banks. Very few still have the signs, though you occasionally still see them. I recall as a child seeing them in the basement of Hancock Center in Austin next door to Sears. The shortcoming was that they were for fallout protection only. If you were anywhere near the blast, the over pressure would have rendered your fallout shelter pretty much useless. San Antonio being a heavy concentration of military installations probably was (is?) pretty high on the enemy hit parade.
Ahh, the Cold War. How I miss the clarity of knowing exactly who your enemy was, where they were, and what they could do. Back in the day I had a Flash-to-Bang Calculator that I was a whiz at in Cold War Germany. Survive the flash, start counting, stop when you hear the bang of the pressure wave, eyeball and estimate the size of the fireball and poof...you knew how big a hit you had endured and how far away it was. I hope they saved Reagan's DNA somewhere.

Old 07-10-2012, 11:22 PM

254 posts, read 548,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustybolt View Post
I hope they saved Reagan's DNA somewhere.
I hear it's next to Warhol's

Old 07-25-2012, 08:55 AM

4 posts, read 14,777 times
Thanks all! I was afraid of that. I used to do work for the city's emergency management bunker and that was no bunker nor was it a fallout shelter. It seemed more like a renovated storage room.

I found some places while I was working at Ft. Sam but good luck getting a camera into them.

Oh well...it was worth a try. I'll look for another project.

And I'm sorry...I can't do caves. Something to do with my claustrophobia which I can control but caves bug me. There are some filled in cave openings near my house in McAlister Park I've found. There is no telling where those things may have run but I can see where kids would go in and get lost in there.

Thanks all!

Old 07-26-2012, 06:22 PM

89 posts, read 148,210 times
i work for a goverment office downtown, all the buildings have basements and the cleaning staff tells me there a A TON of basements and underground tunnels that even pre date the cold war. ill see what i can dig up

Old 08-02-2012, 05:21 PM

10 posts, read 28,371 times
This may be a long shot but Paula Allen writes a column for the S.A. Express-News that often focuses on historical places in S.A. You might try emailing her. She will often write an entire Sunday column around one reader's question and include pictures she found and ask for others to give input.

Old 07-16-2016, 06:50 AM

1 posts, read 3,242 times
Default Underground

We lived at 117 Cardinal Avenue in the '50s. There was a bomb shelter across the street. I recall talk of Mr. Prassel's castle but don't remember if it was referring to his house or the shelter. It's something to check out.

Old 04-25-2022, 05:07 PM

1 posts, read 1,267 times
W. B Ray High School is one of them, also there is a huge stone structure down by the water to the right side of cole park when you walk down to the water, its a sealed off bomb shelter, im looking for a list of all bomb shelters in Corpus Christi Texas, sealed off or not.
So if anyone has information please
[Mod edit: contact per DM]
Im also putting together a scrapbook of places and maps that are important

Last edited by elnina; 04-28-2022 at 04:03 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio