Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2009, 03:25 PM

2,046 posts, read 5,593,278 times

Advertisements

Not even sure if that is what they are called but what I refer to are the people being paid to advertise a business by holding up a sign? They stand outside the Ceasars Pizza holding a sign advertising the price, or outside the Emergency Loan business holding a sign advertising their loans. Does this make a difference to you? Does the sign really help promote this business?

San Antonio is way too hot IMHO for anyone to be out in this heat holding a sign advertising for a company... What are your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2009, 03:46 PM

8,399 posts, read 23,014,072 times
I see these people all the time and I give them credit for what they are doing, as you stated it is very hot to be working like this but it is low-effort compared to those doing construction or road work.

Obviously, it has to be a minimum wage level job as it requires no real skill and a lot of the time I see the sign holder talking on their cell phones while doing their job. But a few of them put some effort into catching your attention, especially during tax season when you see them dressed up as Uncle Sam or the Statue of Liberty. There are also a few who "spin" such as these guys...

but I haven't seen many folks with that skill level around here!

So what do I think? I think it is better than putting those annoying little signs at every intersection, or ailing signs to phone poles. I am sure they draw a few people into a business by bringing attention to it. I don't see anything wrong with it.

Cheers! M2

Old 07-05-2009, 03:52 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,067,455 times
You wouldn't catch me out there dressed as a mattress, but if someone else wants to do it, it's OK by me. There is a guy at Bandera and 410 (not dressed up) that really gets into it--he's funny to watch.

It doesn't make or break a deal with me, though.

Old 07-05-2009, 04:37 PM

81 posts, read 188,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
You wouldn't catch me out there dressed as a mattress, but if someone else wants to do it, it's OK by me. There is a guy at Bandera and 410 (not dressed up) that really gets into it--he's funny to watch.

It doesn't make or break a deal with me, though.
I see him daily he is funny and I'm all for it, I rather see them earning their money rather than begging or worst stealing.

Old 07-05-2009, 06:08 PM

1,642 posts, read 4,098,949 times
I've actually given this some thought before. There are 2 types of sign holders, regular employees of a business who have to do it from time to time (I would quit first), and people (mostly "bums") hired just to hold the signs. I don't think it is very effective and it gives me bad feelings about the business in general and seems very desperate. Now, in our current heat, I think it is cruel to do to someone just trying to make a buck for themselves. And in the case of the "bums", why would you want one representing your business, no matter what kind of sale you are having?

I remember one guy who was dressed in a full body crayfish outfit, with his filthy, sunburned bearded face looking out with one of the most miserable expressions I have ever seen. I think that image will stick with me for a long time.

The only time a signholder "worked" on me was an oil change emp with a "bay open, no waiting" sign. I didn't need an oil change that day, but it did make me consider it.

Old 07-05-2009, 06:50 PM

1,671 posts, read 3,845,722 times
I would die in this heat especially if I were a Human Mattress.

I too have seen the less fortunate advertising for businesses. Its better for them to earn money that way instead of wandering through traffic.

I have seen Store Owners /Managers who hire the same less fortunate to pick up trash, butts, etc. in front of their businesses. That does not make me want to stay away from that paticular business.

It's something that the less fortunate are willing to earn a few dollars due to the fortunate lazy people that litter.

Old 07-05-2009, 07:02 PM

2,046 posts, read 5,593,278 times
Amazying how someone elses point of view helps put things in perspective.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio