Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2009, 10:43 AM

165 posts, read 516,481 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My family (wife + 10 and 8 yr old) have lived in Tampa for the last few years. A variety of conditions (including FL's economy, schools, etc.) has us thinking about relocating. One of the places my wife has always wanted to live in is TX and she has heard from various people that the SA area is a great place to be. I was hoping people who have either lived in both or know a lot about the subject could provide some comparison feedback.

Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2009, 10:46 AM

4,263 posts, read 10,825,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongedaddy View Post
Hi,

My family (wife + 10 and 8 yr old) have lived in Tampa for the last few years. A variety of conditions (including FL's economy, schools, etc.) has us thinking about relocating. One of the places my wife has always wanted to live in is TX and she has heard from various people that the SA area is a great place to be. I was hoping people who have either lived in both or know a lot about the subject could provide some comparison feedback.

Thank you in advance.
Here you go:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/san-a...index-san.html

Also..a one word search "Tampa" revealed this..easy huh?

http://www.city-data.com/forum/san-a...a-florida.html

Good luck.

Old 07-06-2009, 07:56 AM
jdk

18 posts, read 87,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
Every time I visit Tampa, I can never figure out why the place is popular. OK, maybe if you are a brainless teenager who thinks life is one long Spring Break; but for the most part I find it to be a very tacky place much like many other Florida cities (i.e. Daytona Beach).

Cheers! M2

Coming from a long time Tampa resident, the above post pretty well surmises the situation. If the above quote fits you in any way there is nothing wrong with that and you might love Tampa.

Old 07-06-2009, 07:58 AM

30 posts, read 95,351 times
I grew up in Tampa and still have family there. Although it's been years since I've lived there my brother is really suffering and has repeatedly said that he wishes he was in San Antonio. Florida is being hit rather hard by the economic downturn while San Antonio is somewhat unscathed. My brother really struggled to find an awful job in Tampa and I think he'd do much better here.

Old 07-06-2009, 08:04 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,395,601 times
nice, where did that MMM quote come from? Now he just needs to take down all that tacky gator crap in the office

Old 07-06-2009, 08:17 AM
jdk

18 posts, read 87,557 times
It's from the thread firstclassflyer referenced

http://www.city-data.com/forum/7109892-post12.html

Although in the thread referenced I believe someone from NYC was choosing between San Antonio and Tampa, and the gentleman in the OP was looking to move from Tampa to San Antonio.

Old 07-06-2009, 09:26 AM

778 posts, read 2,503,869 times
I'm from Brandon which is just outside of Tampa. I think Tampa has a lot to offer in terms of recreation - very close to beaches, Disney, lots to see in Ybor City etc., but I'll pass on the crappy traffic and poor economy for San Antonio's crappy drivers and lower home prices.

I don't see Tampa as the Spring Break haven that M2 refers to, (Maybe Clearwater or St Wrinklesburg), but not Tampa.

I still find it a great place to visit every few years but just can't see myself ever living there again.

Old 07-06-2009, 09:28 AM

4,263 posts, read 10,825,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverCreek78250 View Post
I'm from Brandon which is just outside of Tampa. I think Tampa has a lot to offer in terms of recreation - very close to beaches, Disney, lots to see in Ybor City etc., but I'll pass on the crappy traffic and poor economy for San Antonio's crappy drivers and lower home prices.

I don't see Tampa as the Spring Break haven that M2 refers to, (Maybe Clearwater or St Wrinklesburg), but not Tampa.

I still find it a great place to visit every few years but just can't see myself ever living there again.
Brandon has been exploding development-wise for a few years now..so much different than when I first started traveling there.

Old 07-06-2009, 09:45 AM

778 posts, read 2,503,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstclassflyer View Post
Brandon has been exploding development-wise for a few years now..so much different than when I first started traveling there.
Yea. When we moved there it was a rural area with lots of cows and one high school, and it took 10 or 15 minutes to get into Tampa.. Now, Brandon has actually connected to Tampa and they have 4 high schools and non-stop traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio