Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 10:02 PM

3,770 posts, read 8,289,143 times

Advertisements

On the southside would be awesome!!! I agree about SE Military/37 area. They have a lot of shopping and restaurants in the area, very busy place and also very nice. BTW I would buy so many books especially if you happen to include a children's section/area - we would probably be there every week!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2009, 10:16 PM

592 posts, read 2,024,359 times
why low rent area

Old 07-06-2009, 10:29 PM

324 posts, read 1,308,317 times
It won't work unless you are willing to lose a lot of money at first.

I looked into it recently, and you would need at least $25k to start it up easy, not counting books, employees, etc. If you do food/drinks add in more for insurance & city permits. That was only having a shop that was 1500 sqft as well - much smaller than your plans call for & in a low-rent portion of town.

Running a used bookstore is a dream of mine, but unfortunately it is not very profitable.

Old 07-06-2009, 10:38 PM

262 posts, read 910,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perticusrex View Post
On the southside would be awesome!!! I agree about SE Military/37 area. They have a lot of shopping and restaurants in the area, very busy place and also very nice. BTW I would buy so many books especially if you happen to include a children's section/area - we would probably be there every week!
Books for the entire family. Kids reading area with little people furniture.

Today I came across 22 volumes of the Cornerstones of Freedom books. Great American reading for young people.

One Cornerstone book is titled The Spirit of St. Louis, 31 pages, hardcover. Easy read and great graphics. I just had to read it. Tells of Charles Lindbergh's 1927, 33 hour flight across the Atlantic.

We basically like all areas of town suggested, but just have to find the right price and space.

Old 07-06-2009, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adtobias View Post
why low rent area
Need a low rent area to keep the book prices at a dollar or less.

Old 07-06-2009, 11:15 PM

469 posts, read 1,155,400 times
I agree the Southside would be great! Check WhoShouldGoHere.com - Community Survey for Commercial Properties it's the former Fair Oaks Shopping Center (at the bottom of the page has some possible contact info) the location is where the old HEB near 37 and S New Braunfels It's going to be renovated and is looking for businesses to fill the spots. I know there are some spaces in the shopping plaza across from Brooks City base too. Also where the new HEB Plus on S New Braunfels has some empty spaces.

Good luck getting your business off the ground.

Old 07-06-2009, 11:17 PM

There is actually a Waldenbooks in South Park Mall that I think has been open for a year or so, and it's actually still there though I think they are expensive, apparently someone is buying books there. If you were to seriously look into the SS, I think it would also be beneficial to add a Spanish book section. Books in the Barrios advocated a bookstore opening on the SS. I dont know all the details, but I believe that was the group that was most involved.

Old 07-06-2009, 11:20 PM

469 posts, read 1,155,400 times
Have a Spanish section...yes

Have it be half the store...NO! LOL

That Waldens has too many Spanish books (I agree it also over priced!) Not everyone on the southside reads or speaks spanish. It's fine to carry it but don't go too crazy with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by perticusrex View Post
There is actually a Waldenbooks in South Park Mall that I think has been open for a year or so, and it's actually still there though I think they are expensive, apparently someone is buying books there. If you were to seriously look into the SS, I think it would also be beneficial to add a Spanish book section. Books in the Barrios advocated a bookstore opening on the SS. I dont know all the details, but I believe that was the group that was most involved.

Old 07-06-2009, 11:24 PM

I think they went "crazy" with the Spanish section because they got so much positive feedback when they initially opened. But I agree, half the store shouldn't be Spanish literature,they can offer a balance of both.

Old 07-07-2009, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakotamidnight View Post
It won't work unless you are willing to lose a lot of money at first.

I looked into it recently, and you would need at least $25k to start it up easy, not counting books, employees, etc. If you do food/drinks add in more for insurance & city permits. That was only having a shop that was 1500 sqft as well - much smaller than your plans call for & in a low-rent portion of town.

Running a used bookstore is a dream of mine, but unfortunately it is not very profitable.
Our startup figures are at $30,000. Books are already in abundance and we keep on doing book buy outs in the southwest.

Having a small refreshment island is figured in. It would not be a full fledged restaurant therefore the costs are down. No need for a grease trap, etc.

Insurance city permits, health cards etc have been factored in.

Square footage would at least have to be 3,000 sq ft. Thats why it would have to be low rent district.

We looked at a building on Flores & Guadalupe street, nice old brick building, it was one of the first Piggly Wigglys in SA. Unfortunately it was too small & only street parking.

We will keep on searching.

As for your dream... hope you keep it alive, we are doing our best to realize our dream.

Here is a quote from Sonny Melendrez' blog at mysa.com.... "You can make today happen.

Perhaps you have an idea that you've always talked about beginning with the word, "someday" and always believed that the time will come when you can bring it to life. That time will never come if you don't act. Moreover, no matter how good the idea, you must put in the work necessary to research it's true potential.

There is no substitute for hard work and if getting started is a problem, consider this:If you can find the fire within your dream, the work becomes joy." http://voices.mysanantonio.com/sonny_melendrez/

I chose Sonny's words for he has been an inspiration to me all my life.

Live your dream!

Last edited by Nix54; 07-07-2009 at 12:49 AM.. Reason: Forgot the website.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio