Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 07:55 AM

213 posts, read 568,373 times

Advertisements

Nix 54 maybe this will help you... SAN ANTONIO COMMERCIAL REAL ESTATE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2009, 08:00 AM

4,307 posts, read 9,559,150 times
Love the idea.

My vote is for Southtown, although I'm not sure how low-rent it is these days. it's a perfect location: lots of foot traffic. (see Doing Business in Southtown, San Antonio, TX (http://www.southtown.net/about/business.html - broken link)) If I had some disposable income, my fantasy has been to open a bookstore/cafe in one of the old houses along S. Presa St. Cafe/garden out back, fill the house with books and comfy chairs. Alas, no cash. And I'm not willing to part with all my own books

Good luck, wherever you decide to put it!

Old 07-07-2009, 08:00 AM

14,637 posts, read 35,042,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nix54 View Post
How low are the rents? any specific location I could call? Thanks.
I'll try to remember to get a number for you today. I don't know what rents are in this area.....further down towards 1604 I think they get higher....There is a used text bookstore near Culebra and Les Harrison....but it was listed on craigslist as being for sale....not sure if it will last or not.

Old 07-07-2009, 08:07 AM

262 posts, read 911,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper1 View Post
yes...but this area is so hungry for a good clean used book store. I think it would be a huge hit. But it would have to stay open late. No 9-5 stuff.

How could we have a Moonlight Sale before 5 pm? Special events would be in the evenings and weekends.

Store would be clean, especially bathrooms. I am a stickler for clean bathrooms.

No shoddy merchandise. All books are in Good to Like New Condition. 95% of the softovers & paperbacks have no spine creases. I am a picky buyer when it comes to books.

Old 07-07-2009, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsawomanthing View Post
Oh please anywheres and I would be happy, as an avid reader at least 2 books a week, you would save my budget. Please make sure sci fi/fantasy is well stocked!
I Have you down for $2 a week plus tax! Its a start.

Since we do book buyouts and I have a regular supplier out of town, sci fi and all subjects will be featured. Just nothing adult oriented.

Old 07-07-2009, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsawomanthing View Post
Nix 54 maybe this will help you... SAN ANTONIO COMMERCIAL REAL ESTATE
Thank you, I will look at it today.

Old 07-07-2009, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
Love the idea.

My vote is for Southtown, although I'm not sure how low-rent it is these days. it's a perfect location: lots of foot traffic. (see Doing Business in Southtown, San Antonio, TX (http://www.southtown.net/about/business.html - broken link)) If I had some disposable income, my fantasy has been to open a bookstore/cafe in one of the old houses along S. Presa St. Cafe/garden out back, fill the house with books and comfy chairs. Alas, no cash. And I'm not willing to part with all my own books

Good luck, wherever you decide to put it!
Chaka, a roomy old home that could be economically refurbished in Southtown would be wonderful. Or even an old gas station.

I had been eyeing the old Humble Oil Gas Station. Its as if time just left it alone and is there fighting the elements. The station is located just south of downtown.

Now that place would make for a nice bookstore. It has offstreet & plenty of onstreet parking. But you would have to add an addition to expand.

I am very interested in that property and at the same time preserving some of San Antonio's past.

Here is a link to the building's history...
Old Humble gas station in San Antonio Texas.

Great architecture, an old tin roof, blue tiled, even has a front wall indentation where a old water fountain used to be.

If anyone loves San Antonio history as much I do, I suggest the book, San Antonio Uncovered by Louis Rybczyk.

Old 07-07-2009, 08:33 AM

4,307 posts, read 9,559,150 times
Quote:
Chaka, a roomy old home that could be economically refurbished in Southtown would be wonderful. Or even an old gas station.

I had been eyeing the old Humble Oil Gas Station. Its as if time just left it alone and is there fighting the elements. The station is located just south of downtown.

Now that place would make for a nice bookstore. It has offstreet & plenty of onstreet parking. But you would have to add an addition to expand.

I am very interested in that property and at the same time preserving some of San Antonio's past.

Here is a link to the building's history...
Old Humble gas station in San Antonio Texas.

Great architecture, an old tin roof, blue tiled, even has a front wall indentation where a old water fountain used to be.

If anyone loves San Antonio history as much I do, I suggest the book, San Antonio Uncovered by Louis Rybczyk.
Great building!
There's an old station (also used to be a dry cleaner) on the intersection of S. St Mary's and King William (or one of the streets leading into KW, maybe a different name) that's now a pizza place.

There are a number of old buildings in the area looking for new occupants. Some need some sprucing up.

I am biased, but I'm less inclined to frequent a place in the middle of a strip mall where I have to drive and park in a large ugly parking lot. I like the idea of a used bookstore blending into the fabric of its surroundings, attracting pedestrian traffic. The good thing about Southtown is that there is also lots of parking available. The downside is that because it's becoming more popular, rents are increasing.

Old 07-07-2009, 08:43 AM

12,114 posts, read 15,011,257 times
Quote:
How could we have a Moonlight Sale before 5 pm? Special events would be in the evenings and weekends.

Store would be clean, especially bathrooms. I am a stickler for clean bathrooms.

No shoddy merchandise. All books are in Good to Like New Condition. 95% of the softovers & paperbacks have no spine creases. I am a picky buyer when it comes to books.
Duh! I must have missed that part...

Old 07-07-2009, 08:44 AM

12,114 posts, read 15,011,257 times
Quote:
I Have you down for $2 a week plus tax! Its a start.

Since we do book buyouts and I have a regular supplier out of town, sci fi and all subjects will be featured. Just nothing adult oriented.
Put me down for at least $4-5 a week for the sci fi/fantasy.Thats what both of mine read.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio