Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2009, 01:12 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,403,213 times

Advertisements

Is this a good area? I have heard that Boone Elementary is terrific, especially for special needs kids (we have a 4 year old daughter with autism). The subdivision seems to be established, and well-maintained...but being from Houston, you just never know about the immediate area!

If you have any input, I'd appreciate it. Hubby may be working at Lackland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2009, 02:02 PM

9,850 posts, read 13,692,217 times
I know for a fact that people will try to steer you towards the 1604/Potranco or 1604/Culebra area if your husband is going to be working at Lackland, but just from firsthand experience this area has already gone through its growing pains and is amazing.

Boone is a great school (although I don't know about its special needs program...if you go a bit farther down De Zavala in to the Locke Hill area I can 1000% recomend their special needs teachers). Those neighborhoods include the Woods of Shavano, Shavano Ridge and Shavano Heights. Their all within the same price range as Woodridge.

There are a few Woodridge subdivsions. I cannot remember the names of them but one is gated and one is not. All the neighborhoods in this area (De Zavala to the Huebner area) are well established and great family neighborhoods. You'll have no problems finding kids or other families to get to know. Grocery stores, shopping, churches, etc are all very very close. I'd recommend it if you want something well established.

Although, I don't know specifically how good/bad of a drive to Lackland that would be. Probably like a 30 minute drive? If you're looking for growth and newness (and the same good school district then take a look at the Potranco/Culebra 1604 area)

Old 07-10-2009, 02:14 PM

2,260 posts, read 5,615,743 times
I don't know anything about schools, so I can't help you there.

But my best friend just bought a house in October '08 in the ungated Woordridge subdivision off Prue, between Fred and Babcock. She LOVES it. It's a great neighborhood - very neighborly.

Old 07-10-2009, 02:39 PM

2,027 posts, read 7,024,503 times
Great neighborhood. My drug dealer lives over there. j/k it really is a decent area.

Old 07-10-2009, 02:47 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,025,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
Is this a good area? I have heard that Boone Elementary is terrific, especially for special needs kids (we have a 4 year old daughter with autism). The subdivision seems to be established, and well-maintained...but being from Houston, you just never know about the immediate area!

If you have any input, I'd appreciate it. Hubby may be working at Lackland.
It's NISD, and their special needs programs are excellent. Your daughter should not have any problems at all. The area is all of the things you mentioned. Lackland is not too terribly far of a trip, so I think that would be a nice area for you.

Old 07-10-2009, 04:20 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,403,213 times
Awesome! Thanks everyone. I just spoke with my hubby, who is on his way back from SA right now. Looks like we might be there very soon--at least, I hope! We'll know for sure Monday or Tuesday!

I think I have been in Woods of Shavano and really liked it. It reminded me of a neighborhood here, with the alleys in the back instead of driveways in the front. Big lots, if I recall, as well.

I'm not sure what part of Woodridge...I just know it is directly off of Prue, just east of Babcock. This is all very interesting, as we've been waiting quite patiently for something like this, so I don't want to get too excited.

A 30 minute commute is a cakewalk for us. We live on the west side of Houston, in West Memorial, and my DH works in the Med Center. It takes him an hour or more to get there most days due to the traffic. It will be so nice to have him home in even just a few minutes' less time.

Old 07-11-2009, 09:33 AM

475 posts, read 1,093,903 times
Know people who live in the area. They love it for good schools, relatively reasonable home prices and good access to I-10.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio