Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 03:51 PM

5,476 posts, read 12,245,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
I would say no to everyone except someone moving from florida. That is one of the few states I would actually prefer San Antonio over.
So you have lived in every state and therefore deem yourself qualified to make such a statement?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2009, 05:21 PM

422 posts, read 756,998 times
Yah it's nice there until a hurricane blows your house down, not to mention home insurance costs YIKESSSssss

Old 07-21-2009, 05:33 PM

4,263 posts, read 10,824,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tejano2828 View Post
Yah it's nice there until a hurricane blows your house down, not to mention home insurance costs YIKESSSssss
That doesn't happen everywhere in Florida. Plenty of inland homes.

Old 07-21-2009, 05:44 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,392,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolt View Post
So you have lived in every state and therefore deem yourself qualified to make such a statement?
I've lived in Florida and Texas, which are the only two applicable ones here.. and I have been to somewhere around 43 or 44 of the states, so I think I'm pretty well rounded there too. Thanks for asking

Old 07-21-2009, 07:13 PM

4,263 posts, read 10,824,748 times
I think he's qualified too.

Old 07-22-2009, 09:55 AM

5,476 posts, read 12,245,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
I've lived in Florida and Texas, which are the only two applicable ones here.. and I have been to somewhere around 43 or 44 of the states, so I think I'm pretty well rounded there too. Thanks for asking
YOu said you would say no to everyone except someone from Florida, which suggests you know other states well enough to make that judgement. I don't mean visit other states. I mean LIVED there. I've lived in about 15 states, and I wouldn't think myself qualified to make such a blanket judgement.

Old 07-22-2009, 11:08 AM

40 posts, read 155,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs. Fowler View Post
I currently live in Tampa, Fl and the cost of living here is rediculous! My rent is $950 for my shack, my electric bill is $475 a month, my water bill is $100 a month and my cable, internet and phone through verizon is $260. I know I just put all my business out there but I don't care. I want to leave this place that is making me more poor by the month. I have three children that I am trying to raise and we can't afford to do anything extra. I have been looking at houses and see that I can find a nice one pretty cheap but I want to know what the household bills average like the electric, cable, internet, car insurance all that stuff. My bills are not including my car insurance and food so I need to make a move but it needs to be smart and affordable. Please help!
Well...to be completely honest...that is about what my bills run (and that doesn't even count the taxes which are CRAZY EXPENSIVE here). However, you can turn off the A/C and suffocate in your house and save a lot of money here but I just ain't doing it. Also, like somebody else said, those other bills are a luxury...you can live w/o cable...I can't say, though, I have lived in Tampa but I have traveled there extensively and I love it in Tampa, as I love it here. I used to live in Charleston, SC and it was nice having the beach at my disposal, whereas here you have to drive 2 to 3 hours.

But back to the cost of living, it sounds like the cost of living in Tampa is similar to what it is here in San Antonio so I would definitely stay where you are unless a very good opportunity arises. Good luck

Old 07-22-2009, 11:59 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,392,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolt View Post
YOu said you would say no to everyone except someone from Florida, which suggests you know other states well enough to make that judgement. I don't mean visit other states. I mean LIVED there. I've lived in about 15 states, and I wouldn't think myself qualified to make such a blanket judgement.
I have only lived in 5 states, but I have lived in three different areas of Florida and two cities in Texas. I have relatives and most of my in-laws in Florida, I met my wife there, and my daughter was born there. I've covered the entire state from top to bottom, coast to coast, and that includes the panhandle. I hate heat and stupid people and that pretty much sums up the state (my relatives and some in-laws exluded). It's also humid heat and a special kind of stupid people there.
In addition to having spent time in almost every state in the union I have also travelled around the world except the portion between Singapore and Hawaii. I have been in every ocean, both sides of the Equator, above the Arctic Circle and visited all continents except Antarctica and Australia. I've truly been there and done that, so I think I can say I'm qualified to call the state of florida a craphole..

Old 07-22-2009, 12:52 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,989,445 times
OK, back on topic...

As a Floridian (Jacksonville) that finally got a chance to pick where we wanted to live (25 years in the USAF made that decision for us until now), I had several choices but chose San Antonio. Why? Well, there's a variety of reasons, most of which you can figure out by purusing this forum; but for the most part we love the city, the weather and Texas in general.

However, while it is cheaper here on some accounts, don't expect your auto insurance to go down. The first time we moved here (from Germany), ours didn't which was a surprise as we paid a lot over there for the luxury of driving on the autobahn (well worth it! ). Property taxes are higher here, and like Florida there is no income tax but sales taxes make up for that.

Like others I wouldn't recommend anyone moving anywhere without a job lined up. If you are having money problems now, not having any income will only make it worse (obvious observation, isn't it? ). Start looking for a better-paying job here and then move!

Cheers! M2

Old 07-22-2009, 01:00 PM

2,046 posts, read 5,587,756 times
[quote=skeet09;9875971]You may want to look into the New Customer offers with our local cable/internet service Time Warner (Time Warner Cable - San Antonio (http://www.twc-sa.com - broken link)). I pay about $45 for high speed internet only with TW and the price includes taxes.

Look for inexpensive cell phone plans, look into our locals called Pocket and Cricket which will offer you long distance to Florida and all the other bells and whistles if you are able to leave your Verizon contract. Cricket has something called mobile broadband which is a nice alternative to high speed internet.

Car insurance is a bit different, varies so much better vehicles, coverage, etc. Mine is 2 cars: 2007 Nissan Sentra and a 2006 Dodge Stratus with only one accident in 2006 with excellent credit and we pay $175/month with Progressive with a $500 deductible.

You can look into apartments in S.A. that are income sensitive or tax credit apartment complexes meaning that they are a acceptable ratio to their maxiumum income level and people living in the home. An apartment locator can steer you in the right direction. These properties exist in all areas of S.A.

I do not understand that para in bold. Can you reexplain or restate? Also, if I do understand correctly can you give a name of an apartment that does this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio