Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2009, 08:11 PM

1,710 posts, read 4,138,041 times

Advertisements

My favorite suburban theatre was the Broadway. It had a nice balcony, a large, curtained screen, was 70mm capable, and had comfortable seats. It was always well managed and clean.

I also liked the Wonder before they twinned it. I LOVED the waterfall curtain.

My least favorite suburban theatre was the Josephine. It had no balcony, and was downright ugly inside. It did have a nice curtained screen.

The best drive in to see a movie was the Bandera Road. The original screen there was made of aluminum, and was silver in color. It made the picture much brighter than a white screen. It also was a full CinemaScope width.

My least favorite was the Valley Hi. It had a CinemaScope width screen, but that's all I can say good about it.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2009, 09:02 PM

3,109 posts, read 9,844,322 times
I just completed a Photo Album of Indoor Theatres in San Antonio, http://www.city-data.com/forum/album...id=4117&page=3

Last edited by gy2020; 08-02-2009 at 09:13 PM..

Old 08-02-2009, 09:53 PM

3,770 posts, read 8,296,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gy2020 View Post
I just completed a Photo Album of Indoor Theatres in San Antonio, http://www.city-data.com/forum/album...id=4117&page=3
Oh snap! Fox was my theater when I was a kid....until somebody got shot, then my parents starting taking us to Nakoma dollar theater. (totally lame) Century South! I had no idea Casa dos Pedros had been serving craptaculous food for so long! And Godfather's Pizza was the shizz!

Old 08-04-2009, 04:04 PM

1,510 posts, read 2,965,031 times
I won't do AMC (Huebner Oaks, at least) anymore. Went with a friend who is in the Navy. He was told that they don't do military discounts. In this town, especially, I was taken aback by the news. Besides, Silverado and Palladium are closer to home...

--Dim

Old 10-30-2009, 07:50 AM

73 posts, read 229,294 times
I saw on the news last night that the new Alamo Drafthouse theater in the Park North Plaza (Loop 410 between Blanco and San Pedro, on the site of the old Central Park Mall) is opening Nov 20th. It's the first Alamo Drafthouse built from the ground up and the first to feature stadium seating. There's also a comedy club opening in the same complex. As for theaters that are currently open, I enjoy going to Huebner Oaks and Palladium, although Palladium's parking lot does get really crowded at times. One time, I saw a movie there and ended up parking across the street, in front of Target and Best Buy.

Old 10-30-2009, 02:40 PM

284 posts, read 1,088,220 times
I read something written over 3 years ago by Roger Ebert about how many movies are not projected properly:

"Train projectionists to show films at the proper light and sound levels. Twenty years after I first wrote about this problem, many movie theaters continue the insane practice of dialing down the intensity of projector lamps under the mistaken belief that they can reduce their power bills and extend lamp life. As a result, many movies are projected so dimly that their impact is diminished. I've quoted Eastman Kodak experts who say the light level has no effect on bulb life."

I have always wondered if I have ever seen a movie projected at the right light levels. Does anyone have any experience with this in San Antonio theatres?

Old 10-30-2009, 04:53 PM

1,710 posts, read 4,138,041 times
I was a projectionist here in San Antonio for 12 years, 1972-84, and I also made service calls to projection rooms all over Texas through the mid 90s. In the days of carbon arc lamps, most of the theatres had good light, but reflectors would get bad, and many theatre owners were reluctant to buy new ones. When the xenon bulb lamphouse came out, many lamphouses were ordered too small for the screen, and as xenon bulbs age, they dim. Most of the San Antonio theatres had pretty good screen presentations. General Cinema Corporation that had the North Star, McCreless, and Ingram Square Cinemas was best. They INSISTED on changing the bulbs at half their warranted life. The other San Antonio companies were pretty good about changing them on an as needed basis.

The darkest screen presentation I ever encountered was at the Broadway Theatre in Galveston. The bulb was on it's last legs, and the reflector was bad. The owner said he was in the market for a used reflector because the new ones were too expensive.

Now digital projection is supplanting film. The lamps in the digital machines are nowhere as intense as carbon arc, or xenon. It will be interesting to see how the digital setups fare.

Old 10-30-2009, 08:21 PM

2,359 posts, read 6,438,550 times
Thanks for the pics, bring back great memories.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio