Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 10:50 AM

26 posts, read 35,604 times

Advertisements

Hello all!

I am currently in Plano, Texas but thinking about moving to SA soon. I would be moving without a job but I am in that situation now on Plano and there seems to be nothing here in terms of jobs so I guess I would be in the same situation as I am currently only 4 and a half hours south of where I'm at now.

How is the job situation in SA for a 43 yr old caucasian with a bachelor in Social Sciences and 14 years experience on the admin side of universities?

Is there a Whole Foods?

Which part of the city is safe like Plano? North, south, east, or west?

I would be staying at an extended stay type hotel for the first few months and was wondering if the following areas are safe...

Spectrum one. I'm assuming this is a street but I'm not sure which part of town it is in. One of the hotels is on this street.

Central Pkwy. This is another area with a hotel I'm thinking about.

Any information would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2012, 05:46 PM

45 posts, read 63,076 times
This place is NOTHING like Plano... I about choked on my Gatorade. PLEASE know that SA is nothing like your area. We just got back from the Frisco, Allen, Plano area. My wife cried when it was time to come back here. It was clean, modern, safe, amazing shopping, restaurants. The ballfield in Frisco is wonderful. West Plano is great! I can't say enough good things about your area. We're about your age and caucasian, as well. SA is mostly Hispanic in cultural acceptances. Tagging, litter, no respect for animals, etc, is the "norm". You will go in to stores/restaurants here and only hear Spanish, so it helps if you know it. There is a Whole Foods which is ok, but the one in Allen makes ours look like a 7-11. Plus, it's way across town and not too convenient to people in the outlying areas. We are moving in July and cannot wait. Have to rent out the house in SA... if you plan on buying, PLEASE rent the first year until you know exactly where you'd like to put down roots. Also, you will hear, "Jobs, jobs, jobs" down here, but the pay and average incomes are pretty pathetic. Oh, but houses are super cheap!

Last edited by BlueU81; 01-20-2012 at 06:12 PM..

Old 01-20-2012, 06:23 PM

1,707 posts, read 6,212,342 times
I fail to see how moving to another large metro area is going to change the job prospects. SA has some very nice areas, but yes it is a heavily Hispanic culture city and nothing like the Dallas area. I don't know where Blue lives, but I have not seen anything tagged or litter filled streets anywhere near my home here on the far North side.

Old 01-20-2012, 06:31 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,886,067 times
Most of the universities post their job openings on their websites. Maybe that would be a good way to see what kind of prospects you'd have here.

Old 01-20-2012, 06:34 PM

45 posts, read 63,076 times
Zembonez, I'm on the far-west side in Alamo Ranch and I see tagging all over this city. Look, I don't know what it is here, but I read other city/state threads and people are free to be honest about their own PERSONAL viewpoint. However, for some unknown reason, if you dare to say anything except this place is heaven on earth, you get slammed. I will say this: I've already received 3 private messages agreeing with me. SA might be for those who have never experienced better or just find it to be good enough, which is fine with me. But it aint no Plano, folks... that was my point.

Old 01-20-2012, 07:40 PM

4,064 posts, read 5,647,880 times
Do you have enough money saved up to live for at least six months while you look for a good job? If not, it probably isn't a good idea to move until you have a job offer lined up.

Old 01-20-2012, 09:05 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,049,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee W. View Post
Do you have enough money saved up to live for at least six months while you look for a good job? If not, it probably isn't a good idea to move until you have a job offer lined up.
I agree. This is yet another post where the OP states no job, yet wanting to move. That's not a good idea, wherever you would like to move to.

Old 01-20-2012, 09:51 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,481,358 times
You should start applying online and line up a job before you move. A few of the universities are advertising openings for admissions counselor and similar jobs.

Old 01-21-2012, 12:18 AM

77 posts, read 125,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueU81 View Post
This place is NOTHING like Plano... I about choked on my Gatorade. PLEASE know that SA is nothing like your area. We just got back from the Frisco, Allen, Plano area. My wife cried when it was time to come back here. It was clean, modern, safe, amazing shopping, restaurants. The ballfield in Frisco is wonderful. West Plano is great! I can't say enough good things about your area. We're about your age and caucasian, as well. SA is mostly Hispanic in cultural acceptances. Tagging, litter, no respect for animals, etc, is the "norm". You will go in to stores/restaurants here and only hear Spanish, so it helps if you know it. There is a Whole Foods which is ok, but the one in Allen makes ours look like a 7-11. Plus, it's way across town and not too convenient to people in the outlying areas. We are moving in July and cannot wait. Have to rent out the house in SA... if you plan on buying, PLEASE rent the first year until you know exactly where you'd like to put down roots. Also, you will hear, "Jobs, jobs, jobs" down here, but the pay and average incomes are pretty pathetic. Oh, but houses are super cheap!
I wish you godspeed in leaving San Antonio. Do you really have to wait until July? Can't you go sooner? If there's anything I can do to facilitate your early departure, just let me know.

Texas Lover, San Antonio is about 250 years older than Plano. Spanish was the primary language here for over 100 years before English. San Antonio's history is deeply connected to Spanish colonialism and the Mexican struggle for independence from Spain, years before the battle of the Alamo, and that heritage is still felt today. Regardless, there is at least 50 square miles of city on the northside that will remind you of Plano, lots of middle class neighborhoods and new suburban sprawl. Whole Foods is north central, conveniently located off highway 281 in the "old rich" area, and I believe a far north location is in the works. There are four private universities, five or six community college campuses, trade schools galore, and UT and A&M campuses. I bid you welcome, and I wish you best of luck in finding a job.

Old 01-21-2012, 12:30 AM

592 posts, read 2,025,435 times
Answer Just move to San Antonio. Your life will improve.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio