Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 02:10 PM
JNA

243 posts, read 735,327 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayag_Mo_Gago View Post
So are you saying you don't agree that the bottom line is because it's cheaper? Everything in your post talks about the cost of living.
I agree that it's the cost of living that led us to look elsewhere. In doing so, we've discovered that life doesn't have to be about long commutes, raising kids in day care, worrying about making more and more money, etc. The supposed glitz and glamour culture of CA doesn't appeal to me like it once did. I'd rather raise our kids in a more down to earth place with more traditional values than the overhyped CA culture.

Old 05-07-2007, 02:17 PM

85 posts, read 261,854 times
If nobody has figured it out yet, us Californians are buying in the "Very Best" suburban neighborhoods that San Antonio has to offer. If they made a lateral move to neighborhoods comparable to their previous ones, do you think these Californians would feel the same about San Antonio? I truly don't think so!

Old 05-07-2007, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNA View Post
I'd rather raise our kids in a more down to earth place with more traditional values than the overhyped CA culture.
More down to earth? Let's get real here! Where do you plan on buying your home? I'm assuming one of the newer nicer areas like Kyle Seale area, Stone Oak , or somewhere north where only the rich local San Antonians or other Californians live, right?

Old 05-07-2007, 02:23 PM
JNA

Quote:
More down to earth? Let's get real here! Where do you plan on buying your home? I'm assuming one of the newer nicer areas like Kyle Seale area, Stone Oak , or somewhere north where only the rich local San Antonians or other Californians live, right?
I'm looking at several places that would cost $150-$200K, probably in NW San Antonio outside 1604. That would be about 1/3 of the cost of a similar home in CA. When I mean down to earth, I mean living a lifestyle more centered around family, friends, and church, as opposed to who you know and where you have been.

Old 05-07-2007, 02:29 PM

Quote:
When I mean down to earth, I mean living a lifestyle more centered around family, friends, and church, as opposed to who you know and where you have been.
So you're saying you can't find that in CA? Sure there is a bit more materialistic people in CA, but it comes with the territory. Californians just make more money than San Antonians. And if you make more money, you will spend it.

The "who you know" part will get you very far in life.

Old 05-07-2007, 02:40 PM
JNA

Quote:
So you're saying you can't find that in CA? Sure there is a bit more materialistic people in CA, but it comes with the territory. Californians just make more money than San Antonians. And if you make more money, you will spend it.

The "who you know" part will get you very far in life.
I don't see why you have a problem with the fact that some people would actually enjoy living in San Antonio vs. California for reasons other than just money. Not everyone loves the California lifestyle.

What I am saying is that in San Antonio, I'll be able to have a nice home, nice community, nice schools, one work parent environment, live near work, without needing a six-figure income.

Old 05-07-2007, 02:41 PM

380 posts, read 1,280,047 times
Quote:
I have to disagree! Long time Southern CA resident (30+ years) and I'm planning on moving to San Antonio. Of course cost is a factor, but it's not just about the money . We have an upper middle class income so we do not come from a "poor" community.

We are looking for a place to raise our family in which both parents don't have to work to pay for an overpriced mortgage just because of the "great weather" and overrated "culture", which is more hype and snobbery than anything. We are not looking to keep living in a place that we have to commute 75 minutes each way to live in a nice suburban area with good schools and homes less than $500K.

Cost is a factor in that if the homes were cheaper, we probably would have never looked elsewhere. Cost is a factor in that if the housing cost was lower, we could afford a home closer to work. But when most homes near the L.A. area in decent neighborhoods are at least $600K, that becomes unrealistic. Southern CA's home ownership rate is lower than the national average for a reason...it's become grossly overpriced and now the market here is starting to adjust.

My wife and I do not want a day care raising our kids. We want to actually be parents to our kids. San Antonio should allow us that opportunity. Sure, there are things I'll miss from CA, but I hope to gain much more in a slower, more family oriented lifestyle. We could easily continue paying our current mortgage and put our kids in day care, but we've decided that raising our kids with a parent in the home (and the other one working nearby) easily outweighs the CA lifestyle. You shouldn't need to make six-figures to afford a halfway decent home, but that's how it is out here.

We will be looking for a bigger home as it is probably affordable for us in San Antonio and it will be a nicer place to call home for me, my wife and my future family. Even if a bigger home wasn't affordable, just moving to a place where we don't feel we both have to work to support our family in a decent home and community will be a huge blessing. We hope to find a close knit community with lots of friendly, church-going, family-oriented people. I will never know if San Antonio is for us until we try it, but I do know that CA is not, at least not in its present state.
I agree with you and the whole "Not having both parents to work". The problem with our society today is that both parents are working and their not parents they are friends. Having a parent at home does help keep kids out of trouble and does help the community. Who wouldn't want that? I think this is a great reason for moving here to SA.

Old 05-07-2007, 02:46 PM
JNA

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1StarRanch View Post
I agree with you and the whole "Not having both parents to work". The problem with our society today is that both parents are working and their not parents they are friends. Having a parent at home does help keep kids out of trouble and does help the community. Who wouldn't want that? I think this is a great reason for moving here to SA.
Thanks! Look forward to meeting people like-minded people in SA.

Old 05-07-2007, 02:49 PM

Quote:
I don't see why you have a problem with the fact that some people would actually enjoy living in San Antonio vs. California for reasons other than just money. Not everyone loves the California lifestyle.

What I am saying is that in San Antonio, I'll be able to have a nice home, nice community, nice schools, one work parent environment, live near work, without needing a six-figure income.
Read the title of the thread. I'm speaking for the majority. Don't kid yourself and say the financial part is not the main reason. Your response clearly states financials is the most motivating factor to move. The rest are just secondary.

Be honest, how did you hear about SA? I've never in my whole lifetime heard anyone from CA (who wasn't aware of the real estate market in SA) say I'm gonna move or visit San Antonio.

One other thing. I don't want you to get the impression that I think moving to SA is wrong. I'm just responding to this thread and these are just my opinions and observations.

Old 05-07-2007, 02:51 PM

4,610 posts, read 11,102,781 times
One big reason is because Texas is cheap compared to California. Most Californians who can afford to move back to Calif after moving to Texas, do. The ones that have been priced out of Calif, stay or they move to another state that is also cheap compared to Calif if they don't like Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio