Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 06:49 PM

19 posts, read 51,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
The cedar and oak seem to be the biggest culprit here. In Houston, it was ragweed, pine, and oak that just killed everyone. You can live in a town for any length of time and suddenly one day develop allergies. It has a lot to do with your own crop of histamine-blocking agents that your body produces. Over time, they become less sensitive and you end up having to buy them from Walgreens.

I agree with two natural remedies posted here:

Honey definitely works, at least a tablespoon a day. The more local, the better. Don't use Florida Orange Blossom if you don't have Florida in your backyard LOL. Anything you can pick up that is within 50-100 miles of SA will work.

Neti pots are AWESOME, if you can figure out how to work them and not be afraid. I'm still working on hubby to get past the weird factor. I actually really love the way I can breathe the entire day after using mine. It's very noticable!

I personally can't take antihistamines. They make me so drowsy, even the "non-drowsy" ones. Ick.
Hi, thanks for your info. I can't believe the trees could be a culprit!
hmmm, well I am allergic to bees, so I dont think honey is a good idea.....I use a saline rinse/irrigation thing already.

I have tried Claritin antihistimine, it does not help. Someone else mentioned Zyrtec. Maybe I will give that a try! Funny, antihistimines make me all wired/hyper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2009, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Li'l_Bit View Post
Really? Because I'm living in San Diego and just got through a bout of allergies! I had allergies when I lived in Texas 3 years ago, but when I moved here I wasn't troubled by them the first year. They kicked in again last year worse than ever before! Ugh!
hi,
hmmm, sorry you are having allergies in San Diego. I guess it depends on the individual. I would get sinus headaches occasionally when it was the very HOT "Santa Ana" wind days, where it was extremely dry or also when it rained. ( which isn't that often there!)

Old 10-08-2009, 07:08 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,420,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback_tocali View Post
Hi, thanks for your info. I can't believe the trees could be a culprit!
hmmm, well I am allergic to bees, so I dont think honey is a good idea.....I use a saline rinse/irrigation thing already.

I have tried Claritin antihistimine, it does not help. Someone else mentioned Zyrtec. Maybe I will give that a try! Funny, antihistimines make me all wired/hyper.

If you're allergic to bee venom (as in stings), you shouldn't have any problems with honey.

Old 10-08-2009, 07:28 PM

905 posts, read 2,961,641 times
Pollen.com - Free 4-Day Allergy Forecast for SAN ANTONIO, TX

Check the pollen count on the days you have migraines and other allergy problems to see what you are allergic to.

I feel your pain. I've lived here all my life and suffered with allergies and migraines. I've been lucky to just take 800 mg of motrin to alleviate the pain, but they sometimes go on for three days and the motrin just dulls it.

My physician told me to start taking antihistamines in September to prepare for the fall allergies and the cedar pollen as well. I must live on them 60% of the year. Mold, ragweed and cedar are the big culprits for me.

When my husband moved here, he opted for allergy testing and taking the shots. That didn't last long. He just lives with them now. Either that or his body adjusted to them. Wish mine would, but after all these years, that isn't going to happen.

Old 10-08-2009, 08:11 PM

3,111 posts, read 9,213,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback_tocali View Post

The Claritin doesn't work for me either but Zyrtec D does. You must get the Zyrtec D from the pharmacist. The regular Zyrtec doesn't work (for me at least).

Neti pots are the ****zzzz. I love mine.

Old 10-09-2009, 11:31 AM

317 posts, read 1,752,057 times
My youngest daughter has had migraines since she was 4 years old.(teenager now) We moved here over 3 years ago, and she has a big increase in migraines during September/October. Hubby and I thought maybe it was back to school change of schedule or something, but her neurologist suggested allergies might be the trigger. She has allergies and asthma- which became much worse when we moved here. There have been times we have seriously considered moving, since it has been so hard to control her asthma here. As far as her migraines, we have been through the gambit of meds, and even with a variety of prescriptions, Motrin is often the only med that dulls it down. That and a dose of Benadryl can often chase off the worst ones. But we have to medicate her the minute it starts, or it cycles into "the beast", where we are struggling for days to get it under control. Migraines are a hateful problem. I hope you are able to find a solution to help.

Old 10-09-2009, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catriona View Post
Pollen.com - Free 4-Day Allergy Forecast for SAN ANTONIO, TX

Check the pollen count on the days you have migraines and other allergy problems to see what you are allergic to.

I feel your pain. I've lived here all my life and suffered with allergies and migraines. I've been lucky to just take 800 mg of motrin to alleviate the pain, but they sometimes go on for three days and the motrin just dulls it.

My physician told me to start taking antihistamines in September to prepare for the fall allergies and the cedar pollen as well. I must live on them 60% of the year. Mold, ragweed and cedar are the big culprits for me.

When my husband moved here, he opted for allergy testing and taking the shots. That didn't last long. He just lives with them now. Either that or his body adjusted to them. Wish mine would, but after all these years, that isn't going to happen.

Thanks a lot for the information. I think the extreme humidity was a culprit the last few days, cause since it rained last night/this morning, my migraine went away..... I may see an allergist and try the antihistimines.

Old 10-09-2009, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmmjsm View Post
My youngest daughter has had migraines since she was 4 years old.(teenager now) We moved here over 3 years ago, and she has a big increase in migraines during September/October. Hubby and I thought maybe it was back to school change of schedule or something, but her neurologist suggested allergies might be the trigger. She has allergies and asthma- which became much worse when we moved here. There have been times we have seriously considered moving, since it has been so hard to control her asthma here. As far as her migraines, we have been through the gambit of meds, and even with a variety of prescriptions, Motrin is often the only med that dulls it down. That and a dose of Benadryl can often chase off the worst ones. But we have to medicate her the minute it starts, or it cycles into "the beast", where we are struggling for days to get it under control. Migraines are a hateful problem. I hope you are able to find a solution to help.

Hi...well, I am sorry to hear your daughter has migraines and asthma, but it helps to know others have similar symptoms here in TX. I have been starting to think i have a brain tumor or something cause of the daily headaches! Luckily this move is temporary and I was just going to stay a couple months. As soon as I can move back to CA, I am!

Old 10-29-2009, 12:58 PM

23 posts, read 94,415 times
I have had the same problem - really bad sinus headaches, or so I thought. I miss a lot of work due to the headaches and nothing seems to help. I knew SA was terrible for sinus and allergy so naturally I thought that was the problem.

I use a neti pot regularlly (love it, best and easiest thing ever) and have tried Claritin (with and without D), Zyrtec (with and without D), Tylenol Allergy and Sinus, Excedrin Allergy & Sinus, some of the Tylenot/Execrin Migraine pills with some helpfulness but not for long. They would slow down the headache so I could at least be partially functional, but they never really stopped it.

Finally in an act of desperation I tried my migraine medication when my sister cajoled me into trying it.

I was a changed person! It worked like a snap! Then I got to reading on the web and found out that changes in weather, more specifically, barametric pressure changes can be a migraine trigger.

Now, whenever the weather is about to change and I feel a migraine coming, I take the MaxAlt and I'm good. It's like night and day; I can't believe I've been suffering all this time and no one ever told me that my headaches weren't sinus headaches.

Old 10-29-2009, 01:15 PM

9,853 posts, read 13,717,744 times
It was a while back, but it's true. We are one of the Fall allergy capitals of the US (as opposed to the Spring capital).

Austin Named the New 'Fall Allergy Capital' - Health News - redOrbit
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio