Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 12:40 AM

30 posts, read 64,867 times

Advertisements

U.S. Department of Labor - Wage and Hour Division (WHD) - Family and Medical Leave Act (http://www.dol.gov/whd/fmla/index.htm - broken link) - sorry, missed the URL on this one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2015, 08:20 PM

1 posts, read 862 times
hello , i was recently terminated from a company who has made up there own fmla rules. example if you miss mo re than three days its only on occurrence . i missed work for over a month and they gave me two concurrences " you didn't have enough time for paid time off for the first half, but mid way you did then you didn't so two concurrences were charged, thus leading to termination. is this legal? does anyone know of a good attorney in San Antonio TX? i have more illegal proof, that includes harassment, discrimination etc.... suggestions?

Old 07-31-2015, 08:59 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,838,269 times
Missed work for over a month - and you wonder why you were terminated......really?!??

Old 08-01-2015, 10:47 AM

3,770 posts, read 8,293,158 times
Every company reserves the right to have its own attendance policy. You most likely signed something upon hire, like an employee handbook acknowledgement which often details the policy. Some organizations even have differing attendance policies within each department. If your company guidelines were 3 days of unapproved time off = 1 occurrence after X amount of occurrences = termination, than that is their guideline and they are within their right to end your employment.

Old 08-01-2015, 05:59 PM

63 posts, read 116,968 times
An attorney told my son that since Texas is a right to work state your employer can fire you if he doesn't like the color of the shirt you are wearing.

Old 08-01-2015, 08:23 PM

6,707 posts, read 8,780,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 24annie View Post
An attorney told my son that since Texas is a right to work state your employer can fire you if he doesn't like the color of the shirt you are wearing.
Yes but the employer better make sure they also have their butts covered. If the employee can prove wrongful termination then there is grounds to sue. Employee must have documentation though.

Old 08-02-2015, 03:52 AM

520 posts, read 782,186 times
Let's get a couple things straight.

A company cannot not have it's own FMLA rules, it is a federal law so it applies to every employer in the U.S with a few exceptions outlines in the statute itself.

"Right to work" laws regulate compulsory union membership. What you are referring to is "At-will employment", whether either party can terminate an employment contract without cause with some limitations imposed by federal and state statutes - FMLA being one of those.

If slkrik72 was indeed taking FMLA then the employer can not terminate him/her despite the violation of the attendance policy. However, one does not simply proclaim FMLA - there are conditions that must be met and forms that must be filled out, i.e. documentation. Failure to do so means your absence does not qualify as FMLA leave and regular attendance policies take precedence.

That said, if there was systematic harassment, and more importantly documentation of it - Judges love documentation, then you 'may' have a case. A visit to an employment lawyer is warranted.

Old 08-02-2015, 04:56 AM

1,073 posts, read 1,043,958 times
This thread belongs in Employment Forum. San Antonio is not the only place where people get fired.

Old 08-04-2015, 02:00 PM

702 posts, read 726,949 times
I'm an HR manager for the SA area. I completed two FMLA packets with EEs today, actually.

FMLA provides unpaid, job-protected leave for up to 12 weeks per year for an EE's own serious medical condition (and other things not relevant to the discussion). When the FMLA is exhausted the EE's job is not protected and it can be filled. Once the EE is cleared to return there may or may not be a position left for them to return to.

I'm curious as to how many weeks people think an employer should be required to give an employee? 3 months is a very long time to not have someone permanent in a position.

And while you technically can fire whoever for whatever reason, without showing cause and demonstrable malice or incompetence, or a history of written warnings, it is likely the EE can receive unemployment benefits.

So if you don't like the color of their shirt, a smart manager writes them up for violating the dress code first.

Old 08-04-2015, 02:31 PM

6,707 posts, read 8,780,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EntropyGuardian View Post
I'm curious as to how many weeks people think an employer should be required to give an employee? 3 months is a very long time to not have someone permanent in a position.
I think it should be up to the employer but if it must be a law, then no longer than a month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio