Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 07:23 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,036,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasNick View Post
What? No. What's that? Does he die at the end?
No.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2009, 07:44 PM

5,642 posts, read 15,713,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
No.
I see.

Old 10-26-2009, 07:56 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,369,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
Well, the signing of the Articles of Capitulation wasn't exactly a battle, was it?!? Nor was it in the NW part of SA. So why would it be relevant?
#1 Cos did more than sign a paper. He wasn't made GENERAL just to surrender.
#2 We reallllly don't know what took place in the NW quadrant of the current boundaries of Bexar County, because Bexar county didn't exist in 1835.
#3 The link you posted is nice, but not even informative about COS, although the chairs are really pretty with the bows tied on the back

Moderator cut: off-topic/personal

#5 We really don't know why people see ghosts in certain clothes and you're talking like it would be proof of something?

Which is really an interesting question......if someone dies....why are they wearing clothes as a ghost? Does anyone know the answer? Do they show up in their favorite outfit? Or wear what they died in? or what they were buried in? Anyone? Anyone? Ferris? Anyone? Beuhler?

Last edited by Bo; 10-26-2009 at 08:10 PM..

Old 10-26-2009, 08:05 PM

5,642 posts, read 15,713,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wCat View Post

Which is really an interesting question......if someone dies....why are they wearing clothes as a ghost? Does anyone know the answer?
No, but I know what I'd be wearing:
http://i464.photobucket.com/albums/rr2/dosstx/17757.jpg (broken link)

Old 10-26-2009, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasNick View Post
No, but I know what I'd be wearing:
That is sooooo, YOU!

Old 10-26-2009, 09:31 PM

4,132 posts, read 7,196,629 times
Since this thread is starting to get a little out of control let's get back to the original thought here. Due to the location it would be fair to assume that the ghost and the dream seemed to indicate something violent happened in this area. My money is on a confrontation between Mexican troops and native (or non-native) indians seeing that the Onion House (a stagecoach stop) is not too far away. If you read the link I posted earlier the article alluded to the local settlers having a time with the indians and the Mexican Army was in the area...so....

Most everything else discussed here is about San Antonio history and that's not what we're looking for.

Old 10-26-2009, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Forest View Post
Since this thread is starting to get a little out of control let's get back to the original thought here. Due to the location it would be fair to assume that the ghost and the dream seemed to indicate something violent happened in this area. My money is on a confrontation between Mexican troops and native (or non-native) indians seeing that the Onion House (a stagecoach stop) is not too far away. If you read the link I posted earlier the article alluded to the local settlers having a time with the indians and the Mexican Army was in the area...so....

Most everything else discussed here is about San Antonio history and that's not what we're looking for.
Very good point DF. I think your theory makes sense. That direction was very active as it was the main route between SA and Fredericksburg. Lot's of pony riders, stage coaches, banditos, Indian raids etc. The book I have on the Guenther/Frederick families is that they founded Fredericksburg and have diaries about Indian raids on the mill and farm houses in the colony up there.
That is the main reason Guenther relocated to San Antonio and established his mill on the SA River where it still stands today in King William. Honestly, the stories are so interesting.

One other thing that took place, most likely along stage stops and settlements was the post Civil War occupation of Union Soldiers during the restoration period just following the war. The Civil War may have been over, but there was still a lot of hostility post war as things were being enforced. As I mentioned earlier, there were some examples in "True Women", however the setting is in Seguin. But it does give a snapshot of the hostility that was going on in little settlements across the South. There definitely would have been a military presence ....and possible skirmishes involving posses and troops on a small scale. I'm sure the DRT library is a great source of info on that topic.....and possible locations.

Old 10-27-2009, 08:01 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,992,062 times
Moderator cut: orphaned

DF, I agree that if the OP's dream was about an actual event it would most likely be involving those groups you identified; but it is more likely they transplaced an actual event that they know about (most likely from a movie as the visual memory is what triggered the dream, but it could also come from a very detailed passage in a book) and imposed it on the NW area. The coverage of battles in the SA was to only highlight those known to history, possibly what the OP was recalling.

The bottom line is that there are no indications that a "battle" took place in the NW area; but we don't even know what the OP means when they say "battle" in the first place. Their definition could be vastly different then ours, for me a battle involves hundreds or thousands of combatants; but for others a skirmish involving 40-50 fighters may constitute a "battle."

Yet I think it is safe to say that there was no reported major battles occurring in the NW part of SA. Smaller ones are quite possible, but until the OP comes back to provide more info, we can only speculate.

Cheers! M2

Last edited by Bo; 10-27-2009 at 12:16 PM.. Reason: orphaned - the post it refers to was deleted

Old 10-27-2009, 09:53 PM

4,132 posts, read 7,196,629 times
Since we're dealing in semantics now let's just say that this "dream" could be real and the ghost in uniform was very real to the person that saw it and for lack of a better term this could have been an actual "engagement" between Mexican Army troops and indians that was not worthy enough to be recorded anywhere. Whatever it was it included violence and that's usually one of markers associated with spectral visions.

Old 10-28-2009, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Forest View Post
Since we're dealing in semantics now let's just say that this "dream" could be real and the ghost in uniform was very real to the person that saw it and for lack of a better term this could have been an actual "engagement" between Mexican Army troops and indians that was not worthy enough to be recorded anywhere. Whatever it was it included violence and that's usually one of markers associated with spectral visions.
DF.....I totally agree. I think it's safe to say that the OP using the term "battle" is her description of a violent conflict, or as you say an "engagement".
I agree also that it's safe to say that trying to document an actual event or location would be difficult if it was not specifically recorded anywhere. If it was recorded, chances are that if it were very early, it may not have included enough landmarks to indicate where it was. For example...even if a recorded event said a battle along the Salado, unless it was more specific, it could have been anywhere from NW to SE of the current Bexar County boundaries.

DF...just a question....I've yet had anyone explain this....aren't there some paranormal experiences that seem to show up in places they didn't occur? I've heard a lot of various theories on that. Maybe it could have been a violent occurrence that took place elsewhere, but something ties it to that particular land or location. That's where I usually come in. I've done a lot of historical research on property and the chain of ownership to see who owned it and what happened to those people. It's very interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio