Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 09:56 PM

1,710 posts, read 4,129,944 times

Advertisements

I am new to this forum. I was in the movie theatre business for 30 years, and worked at nearly every theatre in San Antonio that was open from 1968-1998. I started out at North Star Cinema, and most people don't even remember a theatre ever being in North Star Mall!

Which are your favorite theatres?

Remember the 22 drive ins San Antonio once sported? I worked at 16 of them!

Which are your favorite drive ins, and drive in memories?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2009, 11:01 PM

304 posts, read 1,326,014 times
I just saw a movie today, so I had to comment. SA was so overran with Santikos for awhile when I was growing up (80s to early 90s), that now I can say it is rather nice having a good choice of theatres. I really like the Regal theatres (Live Oak and Huebner Oaks are faves), and AMC has dome good screens across town too. I really enjoy offbeat/foreign/ arthouse and low-budget movies that often don't get a chance anywhere in SA, and am thankful for the fact that we even have the Bijou at Crossroads. Still, have to say that the Alamo Drafthouse is awesome for being able to host "non-movies" and otherwise eclectic viewing such as the Dr.Who theme night that they have there once a month, which is always awesome.

On another note....here's my last memory of going to the drive-in, as a teenager with my folks....We went to go see Batman ( I could look it up, but I am thinking what 1990?). It was awesome and I loved it....the funniest and saddest thing I ever remember there happened that night when the drug moron next to me told his 5 year old to jump off the roof of the family van and he would catch him..."Go ahead and jump, Batman! You're Batman!" Needless to say drunky did not catch the boy who landed on his head. So I am sure it wasn't supposed to be funny, but it was in a messed up sad way. (Hope this story doesn't offend anyone. I am a parent and love my children. I felt sad for this child.)

Old 08-01-2009, 12:09 AM

574 posts, read 1,337,938 times
Bijou then Huebner Oaks

Old 08-01-2009, 01:30 AM

2,046 posts, read 5,585,248 times
Did you know a theatre manager named Tom Milam? I think that is his name, trying to locate him.

Old 08-01-2009, 06:44 AM

3,109 posts, read 9,836,023 times
LovingSAT: I don't know a Tom Milam, but there was a Tom Powers. He used to manage Aztec 3. Been deseased for about 10 years.

Old 08-01-2009, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lol_Stacey View Post
I just saw a movie today, so I had to comment. SA was so overran with Santikos for awhile when I was growing up (80s to early 90s), that now I can say it is rather nice having a good choice of theatres. I really like the Regal theatres (Live Oak and Huebner Oaks are faves), and AMC has dome good screens across town too. I really enjoy offbeat/foreign/ arthouse and low-budget movies that often don't get a chance anywhere in SA, and am thankful for the fact that we even have the Bijou at Crossroads. Still, have to say that the Alamo Drafthouse is awesome for being able to host "non-movies" and otherwise eclectic viewing such as the Dr.Who theme night that they have there once a month, which is always awesome.

On another note....here's my last memory of going to the drive-in, as a teenager with my folks....We went to go see Batman ( I could look it up, but I am thinking what 1990?). It was awesome and I loved it....the funniest and saddest thing I ever remember there happened that night when the drug moron next to me told his 5 year old to jump off the roof of the family van and he would catch him..."Go ahead and jump, Batman! You're Batman!" Needless to say drunky did not catch the boy who landed on his head. So I am sure it wasn't supposed to be funny, but it was in a messed up sad way. (Hope this story doesn't offend anyone. I am a parent and love my children. I felt sad for this child.)
San Antonio has long been haven to monopolies. Long before Santikos had his monopoly in the 1980's, there was Interstate Theatres, Inc. owned by Karl Hoblitzell. He started out in vaudeville in the early 1906 to 1915 period and then as film became popular he switched to movie houses. By the 1940's he owned most of the theatres in San Antonio, Dallas, Houston, Austin and many small town theatres as well. He also had theatres in other states, St. Louis, Mo., E. St. Louis, Il, Chicago, Il, Little Rock, AR,
and many more.

In 1942, Hoblitzell bought out most of the neighborhood theatres and eventually had most of the drive-in theattres as well. John Santikos learned from the biggest monopolist of all, Karl Hoblitzell.

Old 08-01-2009, 11:26 AM

1,314 posts, read 3,176,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lol_Stacey View Post
I really like the Regal theatres (Live Oak and Huebner Oaks are faves), and AMC has dome good screens across town too.
Actually, Huebner Oaks is AMC.

I personally like both Huebner Oaks and the Palladium (Santikos). The Bijou is good for the movie selection although the theater itself is dated. Haven't made it to Alamo Drafthouse yet, but I hear good things about it.

Old 08-01-2009, 05:12 PM

1,710 posts, read 4,129,944 times
I knew Tom Milam and Tom Powers very well. The last I heard of Milam, he was working for Target, but that was MANY years ago. Tom Powers has been dead for a long time.

Most of the Santikos Theatres were bought by him from other chains, or independents. Remember the Colonies North Theatre? It was originally called the Cinematex, and owned by yet another Tom; long time local personality, Tommy Reynolds.

Santikos also ran General Cinema, United Artists, Plitt, Gulf States and other national chains out of town, and took over most of their local theatres. The first time I met john Santikos, he had two theatres; the Olmos, and the San Pedro Drive In. When he announced that he was going to build a FOUR screen INDOOR on the SOUTH SIDE, most of us in the industry laughed! He got the last laugh though. Century South was a goldmine from day one.

He was once a force to be reckoned with. He had some of the greatest theatre minds in the industry working for him. Too bad it's not that way anymore.

Last edited by outafocus; 08-01-2009 at 05:23 PM..

Old 08-01-2009, 05:53 PM

Outafocus. I sent you a dm. Check it. I'm a local theatre historian and I want to get a hold of you. Share some thoughts.

Old 08-01-2009, 06:13 PM

2,260 posts, read 5,614,577 times
Bijou, then the Silverado.

Bijou by a long shot though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio