Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 07:42 AM

1,671 posts, read 3,842,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric&dorag64 View Post
I have a son who is 19 years of age and who was born with Pectus Excavatum (sunken chest) a congential abnormaility......since he was 16 he has been denied of this surgery. The chest encaved more as he was growing taller now that he is 19 I again took him back to a different Pediatrician who of course sent us to have all tests required for Pectus Excavatum surgery, his doctor received the results and did see that his pulmonary function and EKG, CT scan which showed the heart pushed all the way to the left side of the breast, but other then that the others test came back fine but what concerned him was the compression of his chest which is 3.3 abnormal and is higher than what it should be. He submitted all paperwork to the insurance company for surgery. On 3/23/10 Insurance got back and denied it simply because my son does not meet the medical review board criteria for surgery. His surgery was scheduled to have taken place today 3/25/10-in other words my sons heart and lungs are fine, but lets forget about the indention on his chest, shortness of breathe, and where the heart is located and the slumping forward of his shoulders due to PE and most of all let's just forget my son's self esteem which has gotten lower especially now that he knows the insurance company denied him of his surgery, he now hates insurance companies. Our Doctor is appealing with the decision that the Doctor from the Insurance Company came down with. It is funny how the system works WE pay so much $$$$ for family health insurance for the sake of when a loved one needs surgery and it is up to the medical review board of our insurance company who make the final decision of whether or not surgery is required.....I bet each member of the families of the review board have had surgery whether required or not.....Having Insurance is a SCAM especially when being DENIED!!
Thank you for the information as I am sorry to hear this. I can honnestly say I too want the best for your Son. At this time we do not know if our Son's will be approved. I will let you know if /when it is. It sounds to me like your Son would be a good candidate for the procedure.

I hope that your Doctor coded everything correctly since as we all know that will make a big difference with the Insurance Companies. I am please to hear that he is appealing it. If you are able I would contact Dr. DeArmonds Office( www.surgery.uthscsa.edu/faculty/dearmond.asp ) and schedule an appt with him and as you know bring all the doucumentation on your Son's previous tests.

If only the Insurance Companies would look at the potential for Psycological Problems that some Young /Adult Males face. We both know that this condition has taken tolls on our Son's. Some that as Parents we may never know. As I had stated our Son experiences contiuous back pain as he compensates for his posture by pulling back his shoulders. I wonder if they think about this also? What long term problems might he be facing?

I'm not trying to sound crude here but Females can have Breast Reduction Surgery due to the complications it causes. I know this is needed and I feel it should be done. I really see no difference since both conditions can cause severe problems and both are much more than Cosmetic.

Let's stay in touch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2010, 10:11 PM

I'm so sorry I did not post this earlier. Our Son will have his Surgery next Tuesday at Santa Rosa Northwest. This Thursday afternoon he will have some Blood Work done along with a Chest X-Ray. We will also be meeting with his Doctor Thursday morning to discuss the Nuss Procedure once again.

We as Parents will soon be able to feel the same joy that many of you have. But most importantly our Son will feel the same joy that your Son's, Relative's ,and Friend's have. This Blessing will be a life changing experience for him as it has been for all others.

Thank You All for Your Thoughts and Prayers.

Last edited by wellguy; 06-22-2010 at 10:20 PM..

Old 06-23-2010, 04:12 PM

3,216 posts, read 8,557,580 times
And we will keep those thoughts and prayers coming!! Please do keep us updated on his surgery and recovery!

Old 06-23-2010, 08:27 PM

1,276 posts, read 3,826,021 times
Please keep us posted on his recovery.

I'm keeping all of you in our thoughts and prayers and hoping for a quick recovery after surgery.

Old 06-26-2010, 11:38 AM

Thank you both very much as it is appreciated more than you know. We have to be at Santa Rosa Norhwest at 8:00am Tuesday morning. I will post as soon as I am able.

Besides all the kind words and experiences of others he was able to meet a young man here through City-Data that has had the operation. I think he's close to 30 (but when your a month shy of 50 he is still a young man) He had the more invasive operation and as far as I know everything has worked out GREAT for him. He too has been a God Send. They exchange emails and have even met each other in person.

Old 07-01-2010, 05:41 AM

Good Morning,

The last couple of days have been exhausting. The Operation was a SUCCESS. The resluts are enough to make a grown Man cry.

Our Son was taken into Surgery at 10:00am Tuesday morning and was out by 12:00pm. When we spoke to his Doctor and he said he was very pleased with the results I knew that he had just changed our Son's Life. He stayed in Intensive Care Tuesday night until 4:00pm yesterday. This was done for Pain Control and My "Hat is Off"to all the Nurses and Staff at Santa Rosa Medical Center. He could not have been in a better place or had better care.

He is now in his own room and resting well with slight pain (according to him). Besides two small 1 1/2" incisions you would not know that he had the operation. He does have to stay on top of his breathing exercises which he is doing as instructed. The Doctor did have to partially collaspe his Left Lung since his chest had to be raised in order to place the bar past his Heart.

I have seen a boost in confidence since the Operation which is something you can't put a price tag on. Recovery will be long and he will have to cease all physical contact (basketball in his case), no lifting, etc. for some time. My Wife has a Family Reunion in August and when anyone speaks of swimming his face lights up.

Last edited by wellguy; 07-01-2010 at 05:50 AM..

Old 07-01-2010, 08:12 AM

1,287 posts, read 3,820,173 times
Best wishes and a speedy recovery!

Old 07-02-2010, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodmanm View Post
Best wishes and a speedy recovery!
Thank You Very Very Much.

Yesterday morning his Doctor came in to see him and said that he was doing well enough to go home. His stay was extremely short (much shorter than we expected) and the care was OUTSTANDING.

As expected he is on pain medication and needs help getting out of bed or up from a sitting position. His recovery will take time but he has his youth on his side. He was sent home with a many Do's and Dont's and knows that not following them will result in another operation.

His chest is perfect and now very well defined along with some swelling which is to be expected. His posture has improved greatly. He can't say for now that his shortness of breath has improved since there is still some pain when he breathes and he has to do breathing exercises 6-10 times per hour. We were talking earlier and he told me that it appears that he feels the bar against his ribs, which again is to be expected. His Doctor informed him that all this is normal and he has a followup later this next week.

If anyone has a Child / Teenager that wants to talk to him please DM me and I'll give you his email address. I know he will be more than happy to help anyone that has Pectus Excavatum and he can talk about the NUSS Procedure.

Old 07-02-2010, 06:24 PM

3,216 posts, read 8,557,580 times
Glad to hear all went well...it sounds like he was/is in good hands, and that the wait was worth it!!

Old 07-02-2010, 10:58 PM

63 posts, read 227,282 times
Please continue to keep us posted. It is so good to hear some happy news in the world for a change!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio