Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 09:54 AM

88 posts, read 301,629 times

Advertisements

We have the telephone/internet/tv bundle package through At&t and pay almost $180 per month, this does not include our cell phones. I'm tired of wasting money, I tried to call them to downgrade, but would only save about $15 per month. The rep said advertised packages are for new customers only. What other companies are there to choose from besides At&t or Time Warner(don't want them)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2010, 10:08 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,096,265 times
Grande, maybe. Depending on whether you're in one of the parts of town they cover. Enter your street address on their web site and it'll tell you if they can connect you.

If you are outside of Time-Warner territory, you might be in GVTC territory. They're supposedly pretty good for a rural provider.

I suppose another option would be DirecTV or Dish Network, wireless phones and Clear Internet. AFAIK, there's no easy way to bundle those.

Old 10-27-2010, 11:26 AM

905 posts, read 1,630,532 times
I was with Time warner and their billing had serious issues to resolve, so I ditched them and went with att uverse and I absolutely love it, plus it was a whole lot less for more features than Time warner...

Old 10-27-2010, 11:46 AM

4,323 posts, read 7,228,886 times
If Grande is available in your area, your mailbox would probably runneth over their new-customer promotions.

You might look at what it would cost you to keep AT&T for everything but TV. You may do a little better to go with Dish or Direct as a standalone TV provider, especially if you only need a basic package. Dish Network, for example, has a $39.99/month package (current regular price), that includes local channels, and popular cable/satellite networks (A&E, Discovery, USA, History, etc.). Plus, I think Dish is still offering the "Free Lifetime HD" with that package.

Old 10-27-2010, 12:58 PM

472 posts, read 1,075,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
If Grande is available in your area, your mailbox would probably runneth over their new-customer promotions.

You might look at what it would cost you to keep AT&T for everything but TV. You may do a little better to go with Dish or Direct as a standalone TV provider, especially if you only need a basic package. Dish Network, for example, has a $39.99/month package (current regular price), that includes local channels, and popular cable/satellite networks (A&E, Discovery, USA, History, etc.). Plus, I think Dish is still offering the "Free Lifetime HD" with that package.
I went with Dish about 2 months ago,..really happy til they started arguring with Fox network,..now we no longer have Fox Sports Southwest which carries my Spurs,...they say they are in negotiations now,..they might get back on for the World series games.

Old 10-27-2010, 01:38 PM

1,710 posts, read 4,129,944 times
Grande is VERY good, but they are way too high on digital cable, especially for HD, and DVRs. They have real, reliable phone service, not digital, and their Internet service is very good. I stopped the ripoff with their digital cable, and went with DirecTv. I get A LOT more for my money with DirecTv.

I prefer DirecTv to Dish Network. I've had them both, but Dish seems to pull shenanigans all the time. The people that dream up these outlandish political ads must work for Dish Network in non election times. There's just enough truth to keep out of jail.

Old 10-27-2010, 03:53 PM

246 posts, read 433,390 times
I guess I am the only person in SA who is very happy with Time Warner. I have had a few issues but finally got everything setup with a good deal and signed a 2 year contract. I always avoid contracts but in this situation it was exactly what I wanted. I only have cable and internet, no phone. Internet almost never has an outage and I got 2 dvrs out of the deal. \\

I have too many televisions to go with a dish setup.

Old 11-24-2010, 10:12 PM

4,323 posts, read 7,228,886 times
San Antonio doesn't have Comcast.

Old 11-25-2010, 12:15 AM

8,238 posts, read 10,721,107 times
Just an FYI (didnt see this when originally posted) but there is no such thing as "too many tvs for a dish set up"

Old 11-25-2010, 09:20 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,096,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanInSA View Post
Just an FYI (didnt see this when originally posted) but there is no such thing as "too many tvs for a dish set up"
How so? The maximum number of LNBs on a dish is 4. Without a 5th LNB, a 5th TV would be stuck watching the same show that one of the other 4 tuners was tuned to. If someone doesn't want to pay for a second dish, they're limited to tuning 4 shows at a time on their system.

I ran into that limitation during the brief time I had Dish Network back in the 90s, when the limit on LNBs was 2.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio