Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 10:36 AM

82 posts, read 118,135 times

Advertisements

What is a strong chemical that kills scorpions?

-I bought my new house in mid-August 2009 and I have killed about 20+ scorpions mainly in the garage. I killed in 6 in the house. 5 downstairs and 1 last night upstairs.
Last nite at 4am my fiance got stung while we were sleeping.

any help is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2010, 10:50 AM

1,287 posts, read 3,818,189 times
Get a pest control company to come out.......

Old 01-12-2010, 11:19 AM

1,035 posts, read 2,339,147 times
they are hard as heck to get rid of...particularly if you are having that many. Also think you need to bring in the professionals...problem will just get much worse when the weather warms up...

Old 01-12-2010, 11:24 AM

It's a new subdivision so they are still building homes around mine.
I'm sure that has a lot to do with it.

Any recommendations on a good pest control co.?
Never used them.

Old 01-12-2010, 11:33 AM

1,893 posts, read 5,585,752 times
Do you live over the Edwards Aquifer recharge zone? If so, please don't be so quick to reach for the strong chemicals to dump on your yard or around your home. They eventually wind up in our water. IMO chemical pest control should be banned from area over the recharge zone.

Old 01-12-2010, 11:38 AM

186 posts, read 345,266 times
I'm not a big fan of chemicals(pets and beneficial critters) but I had a similar experience and used Diatomaceous earth. Applied outside around the foundation of the house, entrances to the garage and around the garage base boards and dark tight places. I haven't seen a scorpion since (13 years ago). If you decide you want to go scorpion hunting...most species are flourescent under a black light (UV). Just turn out the lights and go hunting! Clothes, bedding, shoes, out of the way dark tight places, and don't forget the attic. I'm not making light of your situation having been stung several times in several countries I sympathize with any one who tangles with these pests. (Diatomite) is also used as an insecticide, due to its physico-sorptive properties. The fine powder absorbs lipids from the waxy outer layer of insects' exoskeletons, causing them to dehydrate. Arthropods die as a result of the water pressure deficiency, based on Fick's law of diffusion. This also works against gastropods and is commonly employed in gardening to defeat slugs. However, since slugs inhabit humid environments, efficacy is very low. It is sometimes mixed with an attractant or other additives to increase its effectiveness. Medical-grade diatomite is sometimes used to de-worm both animals and humans. It is most commonly used in lieu of boric acid, and can be used to help control and eventually eliminate a cockroach infestation. This material has wide application for insect control in grain storage.

Old 01-12-2010, 11:39 AM

2,793 posts, read 6,044,257 times
Get Ortho Home Defense and move all objects and furniture away from the baseboards. Spray every single square inch of the entire perimeter, inside and OUTSIDE of your home, and in every single room, to include pantries and laundry care room....upstairs and downstairs.

This will keep them at bay for awhile, but as long as construction is going on nearby the problem will return eventually.

One question, is your yard finished out and grass planted, fences installed, etc.?

Old 01-12-2010, 11:45 AM

311 posts, read 845,695 times
Have never seen scorpians (knock wood) in our home but I wanted to 2nd the ortho home defense. That stuff works so great!!!
When we moved in our house had sat empty for almost a year so the critters had gotten quite comfortable here.

I looked into getting the pros out but didn't have the $$ since we had just bought the house....spent about $12 on the big sprayer of home defense & it's worked VERY well!

Old 01-12-2010, 12:02 PM

Fence is up but no grass planted in the back yet. Waiting till the warmer weather it lessens the chance of it dying on me .

I live by 410 & 35...southwest school district

Can I pick up the Ortho Home Defense at the local home depot?

I read about the Diatomaceous earth and haven't did any more research on it. Hmmm..

Old 01-12-2010, 12:02 PM

18,126 posts, read 25,266,042 times
Just pee on them... it'll make you feel better
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio