Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 05:13 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,822,217 times

Advertisements

'Brady Bunch' era style is more commonly known to those with design sensibilities as 'Mid-Century Modern.' If you want to get specific, it was also ranch-style. Homes like that now go for mega-bucks in major cities, where young couples usually like to put their own earthy, DWR-esque stamp on them. Really cute stuff. DWELL-magazine inspired for sure.

So anyway, my opinion on Stone Oak is simple: It's bland. If San Antonio were Coca-Cola, Stone Oak would be the Coke Zero rip-off found at the Eisenhower Flea Market. What was once a sub-community with some promise has now turned into a raging monster, seemingly not governed by simple rules such as proper zoning, traffic monitoring and followed speed zones. Let me suggest looking elsewhere: Hollywood Park, Castle Hills, Alamo Heights, Monte Vista, Terrell Hills, Olmos Park, Government Hill, SoFlo (South Flores Street), King Willam and Southtown.

There, you'll find something within the price range you mentioned, but more than that, you'll get a sense of real community. Good luck!

BN
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2010, 05:14 PM

257 posts, read 533,960 times
If you're commuting to BAMC, try a closer neighborhood as stated by smuboy ^. Oakwell farms or Alamo Heights. Choose Alamo Heights & the school will be Alamo Heights though, not NE. AHISD is a good school system though.

Old 02-28-2010, 05:15 PM

257 posts, read 533,960 times
SoFlo, King William, Southtown & Government Hill I believe are in SAISD.

Old 02-28-2010, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raa1371 View Post
SoFlo, King William, Southtown & Government Hill I believe are in SAISD.
Well, if the school system issue is a deal-breaker, they could always pony up a bit more and send the chilt'rens to private school. As a reformed Catholic private schooler myself, I cannot vouch for the quality or quantity of success it may or may not bring.

BN

Old 02-28-2010, 05:23 PM
JNA

243 posts, read 735,392 times
Default Stone Oak

Geez! I didn't see the OP ask about everyone's problems with Stone Oak, but rather about places to best avoid as much of the traffic issues. Having said that, I'd look at places where going on 281 North, you'd exit at Sonterra and head to Stone Oak. There'll be some definite traffic issues in peak hours, but generally living near Sonterra/Stone Oak will be much better than living further north up 281. 281 traffic north of Sonterra is often a mess! Best wishes on finding the right place. Lived in Stone Oak for two years and there are lots of great places here to live!

Old 02-28-2010, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNA View Post
... Geez! I didn't see the OP ask about everyone's problems with Stone Oak...
Yeah, but if you give a mouse a cookie...

Stone Oak wouldn't have so many detractors if it didn't constantly refuse to fix it's own problems. Uncontainable growth is a seriously bad issue. I too lived there (3+ years) and am thankful everyday that I am now away in King William, where people actually smile and talk to each other.

Overall, I'm just looking to save the OP from a years long headache... as well as push forward my 'anti-Stone Oak' agenda in typical Communist fashion. When I run for Mayor in a few years, I want folks to know that they can count on Benjamin Nicholas to wipe out SO, one stucco McMansion at a time.

BN

Old 02-28-2010, 06:50 PM

45 posts, read 123,116 times
Thanks for the helpful replies. We have looked at homes in Mesa Grande (very concerned about traffic), Rogers Ranch, Vineyard and some of Sonterra. I just didn't know if I was missing any neighborhoods that were something we should consider. I appreciate any help you can give me regarding neighborhoods in the area. I looked at Oakwell Farms and my dollar didn't seem to go very far there.

Old 02-28-2010, 06:52 PM

201 posts, read 383,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by needsomeinfo View Post
maybe rogers ranch? (or is that in northside?)

any particular reason for northeast isd? northside is also very good, with less traffic.
Would 2nd the recommendation for Rogers Ranch. This community has direct access to 1604 without the Stone Oak headaches. Rogers Ranch is split between Northeast ISD and Northside ISD, depending on the specific section. Would also consider Inwood and The Hollow at Inwood. These neighborhoods are just inside 1604 off Bitters Road (which is called Rogers Ranch Parkway outside 1604). These neighborhoods are both Northside ISD.

Old 02-28-2010, 08:05 PM

38 posts, read 157,549 times
Agree that the Stone Oak traffic can at peak time be heavy, but usually very easy to get around. I love that the area is kept free of all of those political signs, advertising signs in grass areas, and graffiti is none to be found. The neighborhoods between Knights Cross and Huebner are very accessible especially when Hardy Oak is extended. The NEISD school are also very close and easy to access within these neighbor hoods.

Old 02-28-2010, 08:11 PM

487 posts, read 1,118,240 times
BN: Would love to know what problems Stone Oak has that "they refuse to fix."
OP: I've lived in Stone Oak / Big Springs for 12 years and have NO complaints. Easy access to 281 and despite what MANY people say (who do not live here) I never spend more than 15 minutes making my turn at Evans . . . and then I am home. The schools are second to none. Johnson High School, Bush Middle, and Canyon Rim should be uncapped by fall.
The SuperStreet construction is scheduled to start next week and is to be completed by August which should improve our traffic situation considerably. (our "situation" is nothing compared to other large cities)
Just a thought. I would at least take a look at the area. We have three different communities that differ in price. Regardless what you decide, good luck to you.
I you want to know about a great Realtor, let me know
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio