Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 08:45 AM

490 posts, read 1,094,856 times

Advertisements

Do we know that the pink color is the final color and not a primer/sealant/something else? I recently watched a house under construction near me turn that color, only to have it then covered with stone or other masonry material. Or maybe, wishful thinking....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2010, 09:31 AM

824 posts, read 1,816,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave72 View Post
beautiful neighborhood, beautiful building........... that they painted bright pink

its not open yet but it looks ridiculous, they could not have picked an uglier color, i went so far as to ask on the workers if it was really going to stay that color, unfortunately they said it was
I think it looks great. When the hot summer sun hits that color, it's going to look even better.

But irrespective of my personal opinion, it is absolutely historically accurate. The color was reviewed and approved by the HPO (city staff) and the HDRC (comprised of citizens, including many architects). And it provides much-needed break in the color pattern from the drab brick of the adjacent St. Benedict's project.

Oh, and yes, it is the final color. And it wasn't an accident.

Old 03-29-2010, 09:35 AM

Quote:
ha yea exactly, its kinda sad, when you think of liberty bar you think of an old classy kinda bar with lots of dark wood and steaks... not some bright pink abomination
Uh, what?

Liberty Bar = classy? You must not spend much time there...

Also, on the entire menu, I think there's 2 steaks. Most of the menu is anything but steakhouse fare.

Old 03-29-2010, 11:23 AM

580 posts, read 1,429,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDogsTX View Post
Does anyone know when they are planning on moving? I have guests coming over the next month who specifically requested eating at liberty bar...
I just ate there last night. I asked the waiter, and he said that they'd be at the old location until the end of April. (I was there a few weeks ago, and they said that they were moving out at the end of March, with a mere one or two days down before opening the 1st or 2nd of April in King William--so it looks like the transition has slowed down a bit.)

Old 03-29-2010, 12:39 PM

69 posts, read 186,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvlpr View Post
I think it looks great. When the hot summer sun hits that color, it's going to look even better.

But irrespective of my personal opinion, it is absolutely historically accurate. The color was reviewed and approved by the HPO (city staff) and the HDRC (comprised of citizens, including many architects). And it provides much-needed break in the color pattern from the drab brick of the adjacent St. Benedict's project.

Oh, and yes, it is the final color. And it wasn't an accident.

you gotta be kidding me...

please someone else go look at the new building and tell me the color looks good

Old 03-29-2010, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuneOf48 View Post
I just ate there last night. I asked the waiter, and he said that they'd be at the old location until the end of April. (I was there a few weeks ago, and they said that they were moving out at the end of March, with a mere one or two days down before opening the 1st or 2nd of April in King William--so it looks like the transition has slowed down a bit.)
i was just there yesterday, theres no way its opening in a week, id say at least another few months

Old 03-29-2010, 12:59 PM

13,791 posts, read 8,155,037 times
Quote:
Uh, what?

Liberty Bar = classy? You must not spend much time there...

Also, on the entire menu, I think there's 2 steaks. Most of the menu is anything but steakhouse fare.
I was thinking the same thing...Liberty Bar has always been quirky so the color of the building at the new location doesn't surprise me in the least.
As a Trinity U student who started going there with other friends in 1985, I remember Drew and Dwight and Drew's friend Mike...they all did things their own way and I think that's what started drawing life-long fans.
And didn't they all live upstairs at one point? I remember being upstairs with my friend Louis as we hung out with Mike and Drew...

Old 03-29-2010, 03:33 PM

915 posts, read 1,904,301 times
Dark wood and steakhouse? I've been eating there sporadically for the last 20 years and those descriptors never came to mind. Eclectic has always been my word for their decor and food.

I like the pink.

Old 03-29-2010, 03:39 PM

Quote:
you gotta be kidding me...

please someone else go look at the new building and tell me the color looks good
The point of my response was that whether you dislike it, or I like it, it was reviewed and approved (by people who have a greater level of expertise in matters of design, architecture, and historical appropriateness than you or I).

Ask anyone who's ever dealt with HPO and/or HDRC...they don't give approvals for projects in historic districts without a careful/exhaustive review.

If it's that big a deal to you, vote with your wallet and don't go. I'm sure there are plenty of other classy, dark-wood-clad steak joints you can patronize...

Old 03-30-2010, 10:44 AM

Quote:
The point of my response was that whether you dislike it, or I like it, it was reviewed and approved (by people who have a greater level of expertise in matters of design, architecture, and historical appropriateness than you or I).

Ask anyone who's ever dealt with HPO and/or HDRC...they don't give approvals for projects in historic districts without a careful/exhaustive review.

If it's that big a deal to you, vote with your wallet and don't go. I'm sure there are plenty of other classy, dark-wood-clad steak joints you can patronize...
I wont get into an arguing match with you, but i think you just outlined exactly the problem, that it was "reviewed and approved" by all these "experts" and architects, and no commonsense was used. I have gone out to see the building a few times, with different people and its always the same thing, "wow, why did they paint it that hot pink color, i hope they change it"

if you took 10 people out there to look at it, i GUARANTEE you 8 of them would find it ugly... regardless of what the experts say
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio