Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 12:55 PM

8 posts, read 22,520 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I have been planning on moving into this small apartment complex for about a month now. (Im coming from Out of State)
I need to send out a deposit check to this person, but it is going into his personal name and being sent directly to his apartment. Thats a bit odd to me. Anyway....
I want to make sure this place is truly an apartment complex! I have done the whole google the address thing, but I suppose anybody could be like, hey this is the address for rent send me money to hold it. Ya know?
Has anyone heard of La Teresa apartments? (201 E. Huisache st) Does anyone know anything about it?

Anything helps! Thanks, Jennifer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2010, 01:02 PM

4,263 posts, read 10,825,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by just.looking27 View Post
Hi,
I have been planning on moving into this small apartment complex for about a month now. (Im coming from Out of State)
I need to send out a deposit check to this person, but it is going into his personal name and being sent directly to his apartment. Thats a bit odd to me. Anyway....
I want to make sure this place is truly an apartment complex! I have done the whole google the address thing, but I suppose anybody could be like, hey this is the address for rent send me money to hold it. Ya know?
Has anyone heard of La Teresa apartments? (201 E. Huisache st) Does anyone know anything about it?

You sent a deposit without even looking at the place??? Yikes! Good luck! I haven't heard of those apartments.

Old 04-28-2010, 01:06 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,116,197 times
Apartments are not so scarce here that you need to line one up a month in advance to be assured of getting one. I'd be wary of committing any money to a place I hadn't seen with my own eyes.

Old 04-28-2010, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstclassflyer View Post
You sent a deposit without even looking at the place??? Yikes! Good luck! I haven't heard of those apartments.

No, I didnt send anything yet. I did get pictures though, also it would be cheaper to rent this apartment than to stay in hotel for a month while I looked around. But, No I have not sent any money.

Old 04-28-2010, 01:31 PM

I have bad credit, so I wanted to get something lined up for when I arrive in town. Believe it or not, I have been denied at like 8 apartments so far in SA! I didn't think my credit was that bad

Old 04-28-2010, 01:37 PM

4,263 posts, read 10,825,866 times
Quote:
I have bad credit, so I wanted to get something lined up for when I arrive in town. Believe it or not, I have been denied at like 8 apartments so far in SA! I didn't think my credit was that bad
If your credit is trashed, you're probably better off going to SA and speaking with the potential landlord in person. You'll most likely have a better chance that way. There are "extended stay" type places that you could stay at while apartment hunting. I've seen a few signs on these places for $179 per week or so.
As a landlord many times over, I would prefer you came to me and explained your credit situation (and what you're doing about it), than handling things from out of state. Just sayin'.

Old 04-28-2010, 01:48 PM

186 posts, read 345,406 times
These apts sit at the corner of E. Huisache and McCullough and bounded by E. Magnolia on the North and E.Mulberry on the South. The Unit is located in the Monte Vista area of San Antonio approx 4-5 blocks from Trinity University and 3-4 blocks from Hwy 281. Single family residences list fron $220k - $850k. San Antonio College is located approx 6-7 blocks South. The building was built in 1940 sits on 0.35 acres and the total sq footage of the unit is 10,944 sq ft. The Unit is appraised at $750k. I could find no yellow pages listing.

The Monte Vista National Historic District is located one and a half miles north of downtown San Antonio and is home to approximately 3,000 people. Its distinguished residential architecture, primarily from San Antonio's "Gilded Age," defined as extending from 1890 to 1930, forms the most extensive and intact neighborhood of this era in Texas.

The entire Monte Vista neighborhood achieved national landmark status on December 10, 1998, when it was listed on the National Register of Historic Places. This marked the conclusion of a long-term effort supported by the Monte Vista Historical Association, organized in 1973 as enthusiasm, mingled with a sense of responsibility, reflected the spirit of neighborliness hundreds of Monte Vista residents have demonstrated during the last quarter of the twentieth century.

I would pay attention to the Moderators comments.

Old 04-28-2010, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerberus01 View Post
These apts sit at the corner of E. Huisache and McCullough and bounded by E. Magnolia on the North and E.Mulberry on the South. The Unit is located in the Monte Vista area of San Antonio approx 4-5 blocks from Trinity University and 3-4 blocks from Hwy 281. Single family residences list fron $220k - $850k. San Antonio College is located approx 6-7 blocks South. The building was built in 1940 sits on 0.35 acres and the total sq footage of the unit is 10,944 sq ft. The Unit is appraised at $750k. I could find no yellow pages listing.

The Monte Vista National Historic District is located one and a half miles north of downtown San Antonio and is home to approximately 3,000 people. Its distinguished residential architecture, primarily from San Antonio's "Gilded Age," defined as extending from 1890 to 1930, forms the most extensive and intact neighborhood of this era in Texas.

The entire Monte Vista neighborhood achieved national landmark status on December 10, 1998, when it was listed on the National Register of Historic Places. This marked the conclusion of a long-term effort supported by the Monte Vista Historical Association, organized in 1973 as enthusiasm, mingled with a sense of responsibility, reflected the spirit of neighborliness hundreds of Monte Vista residents have demonstrated during the last quarter of the twentieth century.

I would pay attention to the Moderators comments.

So, then Monte Vista area is a nice area to live?

Old 04-28-2010, 02:27 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,003,195 times
Quote:
Hi,

I think that those are the ones on the corner of huisache & mccullough (NE corner). I would not put a deposit on those. They have a PERMANENT Apt for Rent sign at all times. I wouldn't think it necessary to give them a deposit sight unseen. There has to be a reason why they always have a for rent sign in front.

Old 04-28-2010, 02:32 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,003,195 times
Quote:
So, then Monte Vista area is a nice area to live?
the houses are "very nice, not cookie cutter", but expensive for here. on one income, the mortgage plus property taxes are high. the apartments to rent in that area however are rather, small dumpy and lacking in modern accoutrements. I looked there once, found them to be inexpensive, but dumpy. they reminded me of something that I would live in my college days, not now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio