Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2010, 08:45 AM

7,130 posts, read 11,838,269 times

Advertisements

Sorry - didn't mean to "call you out" - was trying to make clear the issues I was addressing. Although it does make me wonder why you are so thin-skinned on this. I don't think that I was derogatory or demeaning in my comments regarding your post - I was simply stating my thoughts and trying to be clear about 'em.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2010, 09:06 AM

14,637 posts, read 35,036,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
Good Lord sapphire. ! Why do you think there is a quote button feature on this forum (and virtually every other forum on the internet)? If someone disagrees with YOUR take on something, you quote it and reply. That's the way it works. If you can't handle that, perhaps internet discussion forums aren't for you.

Sorry, but I don't really see it as a stretch at all. The lady used the energy and needs to pay for it.
Yes, you're so right. I bow to you, mr snake. There, I agreed with you.

Old 05-16-2010, 09:15 AM

11,578 posts, read 13,950,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
Yes, you're so right. I bow to you, mr snake. There, I agreed with you.
We are all entitled to our own opinion. No need to get bent out of shape when others disagree with what you posted.

Back to the topic...

My favorite quote from this lady has got to be "I have to pay it back no matter what and I feel cheated."

Old 05-16-2010, 09:21 AM

14,637 posts, read 35,036,574 times
Quote:
We are all entitled to our own opinion. No need to get bent out of shape when others disagree with what you posted.

Back to the topic...

My favorite quote from this lady has got to be "I have to pay it back no matter what and I feel cheated."
Oh, I agree!

Old 05-16-2010, 09:27 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,992,062 times
Quote:
Similar to what I said when I paid taxes this year...but I still paid!

Old 05-16-2010, 09:36 AM

11,578 posts, read 13,950,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
Similar to what I said when I paid taxes this year...but I still paid!
haha

Old 05-16-2010, 12:08 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,123,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
That's the point....it could have been, but of course, no one is willing to give the benefit of the doubt. They would DEMAND it if the shoes were on THEIR feet but oh no, she's just a dumb woman who doesn't work so obviously she's just trying to get over on CPS. She's one crafty dumb chick.

The newly lowered bills came after the new meter was installed......maybe she thought NOW the bills were right and she had been overpaying all along???? Who knows what she thought? I still say it's CPS's fault and they need to just move forward. You win some, you lose some.
I see where you're coming from this.
My mother in law (before my husband became representative payee for her bills) would pay her own electricity bill. She didn't know anything about the bill; her brain comprehension is that of a tween/teen (hence her receiving social security disability). She would just pay and not know where the numbers came from. As long as she paid it on time and the lights were working, she thought she would be doing the right thing. She doesn't have the capacity to know how to read the meter (she is illiterate) or comprehend why the bill is higher one month than the other. She would just go to the service center and give the cash and he/she (the cashier) would figure it out for her.
Before my husband jumped in to help her out with financial matters, there was no one to check the dotted i's and crossed t's and her boyfriend was in the same boat disability wise. My brother in laws are nowhere to be found to help at that time and still aren't. Now we check it out for her and she's even saving some money.

Old 05-16-2010, 12:10 PM

4,331 posts, read 7,237,536 times
If CPS Energy were a private utility company, they might be willing to forgive at least part of the amount due, but public entities just don't seem to be as forgiving.

Here's an example of something similar that happened to my Mom a few years ago. She has an Over-65 exemption on her home here in San Antonio. As you may know, she is entitled to an additional exemption on her assessed property value, and most taxing entities also freeze taxes at that point. But unknown to her, and probably most people, is that new improvements to the property after age 65 - something maybe as simple as a patio cover or a new storage building - allows the local tax appraiser to "thaw" the senior's taxes, add the value of the new improvement(s) to their tax bill, then "re-freeze" the taxes.

It so happened my Mom had done a minor new improvement to her home a few years earlier, and the appraisal district properly recorded said improvement. What didn't happen was the County appraiser adding the additional tax amount to her bill. In a letter to her, they blamed it on a software program supplied by an outside vendor that failed to properly add the additional taxes to senior's bills when new improvements were recorded.

So my Mom ended up with the letter of explanation, and a bill for a few hundred additional dollars for back taxes that were erroneously not billed in prior years. I don't recall any payment plan being offered.

Other than another senior citizen who wrote in to Roddy Stinson's column complaining about the same thing happening to him, I don't recall any publicity over this.

Old 05-16-2010, 12:23 PM

15 posts, read 41,148 times
She knew that she wasn't paying for electric, so I don't feel sorry for her. In the dead heat of summer her bill was probably ~$20. I agree that they should probably only be able to bill her for the past 3 years, if it is indeed their policy to only credit for 3 years.

Old 05-16-2010, 08:49 PM

95 posts, read 206,476 times
There are three obvious things you can tell just from the story.

1. Customer is either a complete idiot or knew full well they weren't getting charged for the electric.

2. Customer bragged to friends about it. (This is a guess but I bet its correct)

3. Customer is Hispanic and is living in poverty.

Maybe she should get a job to help pay for it? Nevermind why bother she should probably just complain to the media...

Everything aside she should get a discount since it was CPS's error.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio