Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2010, 01:52 PM

1 posts, read 12,049 times

Advertisements

I got a speeing ticket the other day in a construction zone, I was wondering if it is possible to get probation or do defensive driving for this? I know I'll probly have to see the judge, but what are my chances? the only other ticket I have ever had was taken off my record by probation over 9 years ago... anyone have any suggestions? I don't have a lot of money, but I have gotten three letters from lawyers offering to help (ambulance chasers...) should I get a lawyer, or try and take care of it myself? should I pleade no contest, or guilty? any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2010, 02:14 PM

1,893 posts, read 5,587,297 times
Pay the ticket. Slow down.

Old 05-24-2010, 02:32 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,985,488 times
Go to court and see if you can get deferred disposition, I think you are eligible (depending on how much over you were); but only the court can grant you that option.

In my opinion you really don't need to "lawyer up" unless you were at 25 MPH or over the speed limit.

Just note that that the minimum and maximum fines are doubled for speeding in the construction zone!

Quote:
Sec. 542.404. FINE FOR OFFENSE IN CONSTRUCTION OR MAINTENANCE WORK ZONE.

(a) If an offense under this subtitle, other than an offense under Chapter 548 or 552 or Section 545.412 or 545.413, is committed in a construction or maintenance work zone when workers are present and any written notice to appear issued for the offense states on its face that workers were present when the offense was committed:

(1) the minimum fine applicable to the offense is twice the minimum fine that would be applicable to the offense if it were committed outside a construction or maintenance work zone; and

(2) the maximum fine applicable to the offense is twice the maximum fine that would be applicable to the offense if it were committed outside a construction or maintenance work zone.

(b) In this section, "construction or maintenance work zone" has the meaning assigned by Section 472.022.

Added by Acts 1997, 75th Leg., ch. 674, Sec. 2, eff. Jan. 1, 1998. Amended by Acts 1999, 76th Leg., ch. 789, Sec. 3, eff. Sept. 1, 1999. (Source)
So it makes more sense to see if you can get deferred disposition!

And ya might want to start slowing down in those areas!

Cheers! M2

Old 05-24-2010, 02:37 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,832,217 times
Just FYI...lots of judges have stopped allowing deferred adjutication in construction speeding incidents as a way of "getting tough". Yeah, you need to slow down - but when they whammy you with a fine AND higher insurance rates, that stinks - so call soon, find out about DA, and if they say "no", then find an attorney.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio