Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2007, 12:24 AM

2 posts, read 6,151 times

Advertisements

I am not from here originally. I've had the oppotunity to travel and live in other places and can't help but noticing that there's a serious work ethic lacking in San Antonio. What is it? Why can't I find a decent dry cleaner or car wash? Why are people in customer service so lazy and mean? Why do schools mess up financial aid and lose transcripts? Why can't vendors meet deadlines or get orders right? Why is there no accountability anywhere?

No offense, but a lot of people here don't seem to take any pride in their work nor do they care whether it's done correctly.

I am not alone in this observation, as several of my friends- both natives and non-natives of San Antonio- have expressed the same frustration.

How does anyone stay in business here depending on employees or vendors that are such slackers? Is it the low wages here that make people just not care?

I am by no means perfect. I certainly don't think that my standards are all that high to begin with, but COME ON! This is ridiculous!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2007, 02:12 AM

1,722 posts, read 2,244,515 times
This isn't a website to air your petty grievances.

Old 06-17-2007, 06:45 AM
Owl

112 posts, read 556,201 times
Miriamflores...

I'm a transplant from a large metropolitan city--second largest in the U.S., for that matter. I can't agree with you about your S.A. comment, though I can sympathize with you if this lack of accountability has been your experience. My own experience is that people go out of their way to be helpful, and that they take their work personally, in terms of trying their best to help customers. In fact, my husband and I were (and continue to be) downright amazed at the kindness and effort to assist, that we've experienced from people we've dealt with in business.

Old 06-17-2007, 07:13 AM

562 posts, read 660,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miriamflores View Post
I am not from here originally. I've had the oppotunity to travel and live in other places and can't help but noticing that there's a serious work ethic lacking in San Antonio. What is it? Why can't I find a decent dry cleaner or car wash? Why are people in customer service so lazy and mean? Why do schools mess up financial aid and lose transcripts? Why can't vendors meet deadlines or get orders right? Why is there no accountability anywhere?

No offense, but a lot of people here don't seem to take any pride in their work nor do they care whether it's done correctly.

I am not alone in this observation, as several of my friends- both natives and non-natives of San Antonio- have expressed the same frustration.

How does anyone stay in business here depending on employees or vendors that are such slackers? Is it the low wages here that make people just not care?

I am by no means perfect. I certainly don't think that my standards are all that high to begin with, but COME ON! This is ridiculous!

Low wages.... Hit the nail on the head. However it's worse in Lousiana where I work. I'm an offshore worker, working for a company out of Lousiana, but live in San Antonio. The people in La. are much worse, trust me.

Old 06-17-2007, 08:47 AM

29 posts, read 115,642 times
I moved in SA from Michigan about a year ago, and I think that people in SA are very nice, helpful and friendly. Whenever I needed any kind of help, regardless of the type of store, I only encountered helpful and very polite people. I did not experience this before, so I was very pleasantly surprised.

Old 06-17-2007, 12:00 PM

351 posts, read 1,585,549 times
Hello,

People serving YOU are more receptive if YOU are friendly, open, and caring in the way YOU treat them.

YOU get back what YOU put out there.

crazedchef

Old 06-17-2007, 12:22 PM

217 posts, read 671,062 times
Miriamflores, as you've probably noticed before, negative threads are not welcome on this site, and the thread will likely be closed very soon, but just let me say that I agree with you. I've noticed some of the things you have, but the personal business bugaboo in SA that gets me the most is that the support staff at doctors' offices can never get their act together. In one case I had medical records faxed and snail mailed to my SA doctor four times before they showed up in my file. I don't think that lack of education would explain it. It can't be intelligence either, because how hard is it to file a paper? So I concluded that it must be a Southern cultural lack of focus on precision or something.

Old 06-17-2007, 01:24 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,371,909 times
I'm finding it hard to see this as a SA problem....but more of an "industry" problem. I find bad customer service in a lot of places, but exemplary service as well.

Places with the best customer service I've frequented:

Starbucks
Whole Foods
Restoration Hardware
Lowes
Outback Restaurant
Mama's cafe
Barnes and Noble
Sherwin Williams paint stores!

vs

poor CS:

Home Depot (where do those employees go????)
Borders Books at the Quarry (they struggle with teens loitering before movies and the store is always a wreck!)
Sprint Store!
Best Buy!!!! Omg.....does anyone want to sell anything there?

Keep in mind.....I usually give a place several chances because sometimes an employee may just be having a bad day.....so these are repeat offenders or shining examples.

Old 06-17-2007, 01:32 PM

2,269 posts, read 7,335,671 times
I'd like to address your remark regarding negative threads getting closed. The reason threads like these end up getting closed is because of remarks like these:

Quote:
So I concluded that it must be a Southern cultural lack of focus on precision or something.
This does nothing but foster hate and discontent. As is very evident on these forums, a lot of people are constantly on the move in this country. The stereotypical "Southern" culture surely can't continue being blamed for everything. The South is now full of people who moved from somewhere else.

I totally agree with wCat that this is an industry problem. Unfortunately, you will find lazy and rude customer service in every part of the country. Naturally, it is going to seem more prevalent where you live.

Old 06-17-2007, 01:55 PM

217 posts, read 671,062 times
By expressing my opinion that Southern cultures may not be as "precise," I think I'm referring to an overall way of organizing that more regimented Northern cultures engage. This is just an opinion. If a Southerner disagrees, why is my opinion consiered an act to incite "hatred"? Suggesting people are imprecise is a "hateful" remark? It is not personal. It is not an attack. It is an opinion.

A very cogent, well-spoken poster who moved to SA from NYC wrote a post expressing her unhappiness about SA's culture. He/she was seeking support. Locals got defensive and her post was deleted within two hours. I think that people considering a move to SA could have benefitted from it. So readers here should know that they are getting a heavily censored view of life and culture in SA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio