Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 06:19 PM

4,088 posts, read 4,388,688 times

Advertisements

John and Ken are doing a live broacast of their KFI 640 radio show from Temecula tomorrow (Thurs). Their purpose is to present a check for $50,000, raised from listener contributions, to help finance a trip to a competiton in Arizona for the Oak Hills High band.

How do the residents of Temecula, especially those with relations with Oak Hills, feel about this? Was lack of funds really the reason for cancelling the trip in the first place, or was it political, due to Arizona's illegal immigration policy? Will the school use the donations to finance a trip? Is the trip back on? Is the community grateful for the attention (and the money)?

Does anyone feel like your community and school are being used as pawns to inflame a radio show's "base" and jack up ratings?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2010, 06:25 PM

458 posts, read 1,263,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurbie View Post
John and Ken are doing a live broacast of their KFI 640 radio show from Temecula tomorrow (Thurs). Their purpose is to present a check for $50,000, raised from listener contributions, to help finance a trip to a competiton in Arizona for the Oak Hills High band.

How do the residents of Temecula, especially those with relations with Oak Hills, feel about this? Was lack of funds really the reason for cancelling the trip in the first place, or was it political, due to Arizona's illegal immigration policy? Will the school use the donations to finance a trip? Is the trip back on? Is the community grateful for the attention (and the money)?

Does anyone feel like your community and school are being used as pawns to inflame a radio show's "base" and jack up ratings?
No clue what you are talking about, never heard of Oak Hills HS.

Old 07-14-2010, 06:28 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,950,586 times
Well of course they're doing it to jack up ratings. Would you expect them to pick an event designed to lower the ratings?

Old 07-14-2010, 07:46 PM

93 posts, read 265,091 times
Do you mean Great Oak?

Old 07-14-2010, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 31st State View Post
Do you mean Great Oak?
Yes, Great Oak, sorry...

Old 07-14-2010, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Well of course they're doing it to jack up ratings. Would you expect them to pick an event designed to lower the ratings?
Hi Fontucky, yeah, that was kind of a rhetorical question. I'm interested in what, if any, reaction the people involved with the school have. Is the attention (and the money) welcome? Or do they resent being used as pawns in the illegal immigration debate?

Old 07-14-2010, 09:12 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,437,282 times
In education, money is always welcome.

Old 07-15-2010, 08:38 AM

209 posts, read 749,654 times
jon and ken are idiots who drum up outrage to make themselves millions. whatever. if they can help some high school kids then great but anyone with half a brain can easily see through their show.

Old 07-15-2010, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolutionrules View Post
jon and ken are idiots who drum up outrage to make themselves millions. whatever. if they can help some high school kids then great but anyone with half a brain can easily see through their show.
Hey, I tend to agree with your opinion of John and Ken. And any plan that separates their listeners from $50,000, which then gets handed over to a local high school band, I'm all for it! I just hope the checks don't bounce!

There is an immigration angle here,of course, or John and Ken never would have got involved (they are not known for big-hearted gestures of philanthropy). The school was apparently prepared to send the band to a competition in Arizona. Then, the state of Arizona announced the passage of SB 1070, and the school cancelled the trip.

John and Ken got wind of the story, and concluded, rightly or wrongly, that the school's motive for cancelling the trip was political. They contacted the school, and were told that the reason for cancelling the trip was financial. John and Ken began a fund drive, and are now prepared to present Great Oaks High with a check for $50,000, to finance the band's trip.

That is the story as I understand it. Anyone who knows first-hand what is going on, feel free to correct any factual errors in my account.

My reason for starting this thread was to try to get a response from anyone in the community (parents, students, or staff) from Great Oak High in particular, or Temecula in general, as to what they think of all this. Why was the trip really canceled in the first place? Is it back on? Does the school plan to accept the donation? Is the community grateful, or resentful (or indifferent?) for the attention?

Old 07-16-2010, 09:46 PM

Well, I heard the second half of the John and Ken show today. They did indeed do a live show from Pat and Oscar's. About 30 members of the school band were there, and played some tunes (sounded good!)

John and Ken presented a check (two checks, actually) totaling $55,000. The checks were accepted on behalf of the band by the "booster president", who I assume is a parent of a band member or something. Apparently, the proposed trip is going to cost about $100,000, so they are half-way there (The guy was very gracious, reminding everyone that ALL school's music programs have had their budgets cut, and need community support)

Oddly (or not), in case I missed it, no one from the school Admin or the city were there. At one point, John called out to the band director to say a few words. Everyone laughed a little uncomfortably, as I guess they all knew he wasn't there- guess he was involved in the original controversy. That was the only time I heard the original "issue" raised, though, like I said, I missed most of the show.

So bottom line, the band got the money, so that is a win. But my initial questions remain unresolved...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties