Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 07:39 PM

309 posts, read 765,843 times

Advertisements

Hoping for a little inside info and advice. Husband has potential job prospect in the Palm Springs Area & I need to do a little research on the area to weigh if it's really worth it or not. Currently we live in a fairly low cost of living part of the East Coast. We know that it would be a difficult adjustment to deal with the weather, lack of seasons, etc.

What areas would you recommend for a family with young children? What about the public schools -- is the California public education system a complete disaster or are there any good public schools in that area? If we were to look for a 3500SF updated house on more than a sliver of land, what kind of numbers are we talking?

I know this is not very specific, but I know zero about the area and am looking to narrow my research down.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2012, 07:51 PM

3,113 posts, read 8,377,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somersmom View Post
difficult adjustment to deal with the weather
Quote:
lack of seasons, etc.
Quote:
is the California public education system a complete disaster
Quote:
a 3500SF updated house on more than a sliver of land
You sound a little negative about the prospect... there wasn't a single positive thing in your post. Are you sure you want to consider moving? We can give you opinions, but if you've already made up your mind?

Old 05-11-2012, 08:09 PM

309 posts, read 765,843 times
In a way you're correct -- we've visited the Riverside area a couple times before and know it's not the climate or topography that we prefer, which is why we're doing all this research before considering this job. However, it seems kind of trivial to discount a place based on land and weather. But, if we're also going to be taking a step down in housing, paying more in taxes, getting fewer services, dealing with crummy schools -- which is what preliminary research indicates may be the case -- those would be bigger issues and deal-breakers.

I hate to sound negative, but we're not "California" people. That's not to say that there aren't others who love those things we don't prefer and they would be unhappy where we live. And that's fine.

Old 05-11-2012, 09:09 PM

Quote:
However, it seems kind of trivial to discount a place based on land and weather.
I don't think it's trivial at all. In fact, in my opinion, it's probably the most important aspect when choosing a place to live. I know I love the sun, and bright blue sky, and I would be unhappy in a place where that wasn't the norm. I love Seattle in brief doses, but I could never live there.

Quote:
I hate to sound negative, but we're not "California" people.
But I do think not being "California" people may be a little trivial! I'm a fifth generation Californian, and we have so many different types of people here - so much variety - including East Coast transplants! So I would think you could find plenty of like-minded people to socialize with, once you got here. Despite what you see in the media, there is no one type of Southern Californian - we come in many different colors and flavors!

And just so you know, while Palm Springs is in Riverside County, it is not in what is commonly known as the "Riverside Area" which usually is applied only to the extreme western portion of the county, including the city of Riverside. The Riverside City area is an inland valley and suburbia. Palm Springs is desert and still has a bit of a resort town vibe downtown, even today. Very different places!

Last edited by bouncethelight; 05-11-2012 at 09:17 PM..

Old 05-12-2012, 07:36 AM

18 posts, read 33,937 times
Quote:
Hoping for a little inside info and advice. Husband has potential job prospect in the Palm Springs Area & I need to do a little research on the area to weigh if it's really worth it or not. Currently we live in a fairly low cost of living part of the East Coast. We know that it would be a difficult adjustment to deal with the weather, lack of seasons, etc.

What areas would you recommend for a family with young children? What about the public schools -- is the California public education system a complete disaster or are there any good public schools in that area? If we were to look for a 3500SF updated house on more than a sliver of land, what kind of numbers are we talking?

I know this is not very specific, but I know zero about the area and am looking to narrow my research down.

Thanks.
Costs
California will be a higher COL for living, ignoring the housing costs. State Income Tax rates are well published on the state's website, and you can buy a copy of TurboTax and do a whatif? on your last year's taxes to see if you would have fared better or worse.

Sales tax rates are currently 7.75%

Property Tax Rates are 1.1% of the assessed value.

Utilities: water is cheap, gas is ok, electrical is ok--but for a large house during the [4] hottest months plan on at least $350/month. Trash is $20/month.

Auto registration is high--it's another tax, I think at 1.5% of value, gasoline is high--$0.25 more than national average, auto insurance is high in LA, but not bad in Palm Springs--budget $100 per month per vehicle with no points or accidents or teenagers.

Housing
3500 sq ft, updated and with maybe 0.3 acre?
Budget $1.5+ mil.
Moderator cut: link removed
REO's that are good deals do pop-up now and then.
Last year I saw a 4000 sq ft house in a good area with a pool and great view for $600K--postage stamp lot though.

Area for family with kids
Indian Wells
Rancho Mirage
Palm Springs
Palm Desert
Some people LOVE La Quinta, others cannot stand it.

Weather
Many easterners like the constant sunshine, some cannot stand it. If you love rain, not the place for you. If you must have seasons, ditto. You are an hour away from snow in the mountains.
Topography
If you like green vegetation like Westchester Co. NY, not the place for you.
The mountains create beautiful views though.

Education
There are private elem and HS's.
This is a mediocre community college.
The closest university is 1 hr away.
The public systems are nothing like the east coast, but not hopeless.
SAT/Act/AP scores are lower than national average.
If you are expecting Greenwich Day/Exeter in a public school system, stay away.

Remember, Pam Springs [et al] is essentially a resort town with a 7 month season, and many full time residents are retirees. Your kids won't likely have a neighborhood full of kids to play with. Fifty percent of the economy is generated between Nov & March. Most of the workers that support tourism are service workers and trades. Then there are service workers who support them. There is not a large professional workforce as in most metro areas.

Last edited by Count David; 05-15-2012 at 06:53 AM.. Reason: new members are not allowed to post links

Old 05-12-2012, 10:13 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,931,898 times
Quote:
However, it seems kind of trivial to discount a place based on land
Not when you're used to lush green and the place you're considering offers shades of brown.

Quote:
However, it seems kind of trivial to discount a place based on... weather.
Not when that place serves up Summer temps in the one hundred teens and low one-twenties.

Old 05-12-2012, 12:18 PM

581 posts, read 920,383 times
In my 40 plus years of desert living I've noticed that there are desert people and non-desert people, not much in between. You really need to visit the area to see if you're going to ever be desert folks. Everything else you can work out.

Old 05-12-2012, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murfslaw View Post
In my 40 plus years of desert living I've noticed that there are desert people and non-desert people, not much in between. You really need to visit the area to see if you're going to ever be desert folks. Everything else you can work out.
This is probably the best post in this thread, and should be read at least twice! It really is just that simple.

Old 05-14-2012, 04:49 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,027,811 times
As a long time desert resident (15+ years, full-time) I have to disagree with a lot of what Phxjcc posted. For one thing there are a LOT of 3500+ sq.ft. homes for WAY under $1.5 million. I disagree with the order of cities he/she has listed as "kid/family friendly". We also have Cal State San Bernardino, University of California Riverside, and University of California Irvine campuses on Cook Street in Palm Desert - brand new buildings - and University Park directly across the street! I'm not even going to address the rest of the foolishness of that post because it is obvious that person has either never been to the desert, or hasn't been to the desert in many, many years.

Old 05-25-2012, 05:52 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,093,761 times
The area is charming hot with an active arts culture. Indian Wells and East offer activities and spa. Yes it's hot....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties