Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2016, 06:05 PM

7 posts, read 21,951 times

Advertisements

Hi guys,

I am on the verge of accepting a new job in Moreno Valley. I will be starting work around November. Currently live in Michigan.

I am single and have no kids so school district doesn't matter. I am not sure how traffic is over there but I don't want to be commuting more than 30 minutes one way to work. At the same time I don't want to be too far from LA. I have friends in Santa Monica and might be visiting them during the weekends so I don't want a very long drive there. I am looking for a Studio/1bhk apartment and my budget is $1300 a month.

Looking through the forums it seems that a lot of cities in the Inland Empire have high crime rates. I have lived in the Detroit suburbs (suburbs are very safe) and spent a lot of time in Detroit but I don't know how it compares to places like San Bernardino. Example, for me Chicago is far more dangerous than Detroit even though Detroit is more notorious. So I am not sure if these Inland Empire cities are actually dangerous or just gained notoriety due to their history.

I have done a rough shortlist on cities to live: Riverside, Corona, Chino, Chino Hills, Rancho Cucamonga. Can you please tell me how good or bad these places are and also give me any other suggestions you may have?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2016, 08:13 PM

925 posts, read 1,064,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apparex View Post
Hi guys,

I am on the verge of accepting a new job in Moreno Valley. I will be starting work around November. Currently live in Michigan.

I am single and have no kids so school district doesn't matter. I am not sure how traffic is over there but I don't want to be commuting more than 30 minutes one way to work. At the same time I don't want to be too far from LA. I have friends in Santa Monica and might be visiting them during the weekends so I don't want a very long drive there. I am looking for a Studio/1bhk apartment and my budget is $1300 a month.

Looking through the forums it seems that a lot of cities in the Inland Empire have high crime rates. I have lived in the Detroit suburbs (suburbs are very safe) and spent a lot of time in Detroit but I don't know how it compares to places like San Bernardino. Example, for me Chicago is far more dangerous than Detroit even though Detroit is more notorious. So I am not sure if these Inland Empire cities are actually dangerous or just gained notoriety due to their history.

I have done a rough shortlist on cities to live: Riverside, Corona, Chino, Chino Hills, Rancho Cucamonga. Can you please tell me how good or bad these places are and also give me any other suggestions you may have?

Thanks
Any of those cities would be good. Chino and Chino Hills are about halfway between LA and Moreno Valley and your commute would be against the heavy flow of traffic.

Old 08-22-2016, 12:55 PM

266 posts, read 319,844 times
Chino Hills, Rancho, Redlands.

Old 08-22-2016, 05:28 PM

7 posts, read 21,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGS91762 View Post
Any of those cities would be good. Chino and Chino Hills are about halfway between LA and Moreno Valley and your commute would be against the heavy flow of traffic.
You mean traffic moves from IE towards LA in the morning and vice versa in the evening?

Also would I get decent-nice apartments in my budget?

Old 08-22-2016, 07:47 PM

925 posts, read 1,064,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apparex View Post
You mean traffic moves from IE towards LA in the morning and vice versa in the evening?

Also would I get decent-nice apartments in my budget?
Yes that is the the main commute direction. Not bad at all going the opposite way.

Old 08-28-2016, 06:58 PM

17 posts, read 26,701 times
Honestly, 1300 a month is not going to get you much. Raise yourself to 1400 a month and a lot more opens up.

Chino or Rancho will get you to Moreno Valley in 40ish minutes and to Santa Monica in about an hour and ten to an hour and twenty. Chino is fine and safe, however apartments will be older, from the 70s and early 80s. You will get a nicer/newer apartment in Rancho. Rancho also has Victoria Gardens, a very nice outdoor shopping/dining district. Corona you will get a very nice apartment for 1400, however it will take you longer to get to Santa Monica.

You need about 1600 a month for Chino Hills, so strike that off your list.

Old 09-21-2016, 12:22 AM

6 posts, read 11,366 times
If you're going to be working in MoVal, you might consider the Sycamore Canyon area near UCR. Nice apartments, and the prices are well within your budget.

Rents are around $1,100 a month in that area.
for some of the listings. You can search around the area, but Canyon Crest is a great area for apartments.

UCR (University of California Riverside) has a medical college now, and the student population is growing. But they just put in new dorms, so the apartments around that area are also looking better for other renters.

Riverside is a gorgeous city (unlike San Bernardino to the northeast), and the commutes on weekends to your destinations will be light (Friday night traffic goes the opposite way). Strong sense of community, decent night life (unlike MoVal, which DOEs have a lot of crime).

Best of luck.

Old 09-26-2016, 11:39 AM

5 posts, read 11,921 times
Have you thought of going south a few minutes? The Temecula Valley is nice. Temecula, Murrieta, Menifee, Wildomar are all very nice places. The setting can be more rural if wanted. $1300 a month will get you a nice place to live not surrounded by ghetto, drugs and crime. Moreno Valley is only about 20 minutes away and with little traffic. This area is slightly more conservative if that is what you are looking for. It gets a little warmer here than say Chino but not much.

Old 09-26-2016, 09:10 PM

15 posts, read 23,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWDev View Post
Have you thought of going south a few minutes? The Temecula Valley is nice. Temecula, Murrieta, Menifee, Wildomar are all very nice places. The setting can be more rural if wanted. $1300 a month will get you a nice place to live not surrounded by ghetto, drugs and crime. Moreno Valley is only about 20 minutes away and with little traffic. This area is slightly more conservative if that is what you are looking for. It gets a little warmer here than say Chino but not much.
How sad...all these nice places are 40-45 miles away from San Jacinta where I might work

Old 09-26-2016, 09:23 PM

15 posts, read 23,459 times
I was looking at these places in the gated community.
Apartments for Rent in Moreno Valley, CA | Legends at Rancho Belago - Home or Reserve at Rancho Belago or The Overlook at Rancho Belago

Looks quite decent to me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties