Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2017, 05:54 PM

1,377 posts, read 2,128,580 times

Advertisements

I don't know, but the fact that the cities of Palm Springs, Rancho Mirage, Palm Desert, Indian Wells, and La Quinta always get the better/more upscale stuff (i.e., restaurants, venues, etc.), and that DHS, Cat City, Indio, and Coachella don't (or, hardly do) really kind of irks me. Gee, I wonder why? That's kind of unfair to us and those who reside in the other four cities.

Let me guess... Is it because that PS, RM, PD, IW, and LQ are the more desirable/upscale cities in the CV than DHS, CC, Indio, and Coachella (maybe this has something to do with it)? Huh? Is this why?

Can anyone care to give me insights on why this is the way it is? I'd like to find out!

Any answers are greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2017, 06:27 PM

1,069 posts, read 1,260,588 times
These businesses go to where the customers are. Also, there is vanity. The Chambers of Commerce of DHS, Cat City, Indio, and Coachella could launch initiatives designed at drawing upscale businesses to their cities, but you also have the factors of customers not wanting to go shopping in those towns, because they're "better than that".

You don't see the gentrification you do in bigger cities because there is a hipster deficit in the CV. The party-hearty service workers of the CV with their high school degrees aren't into hipster things. Also, there are no older, historic sections of the CV that would become "cool" once gentrified, other than Palm Springs and that is already upscale.

So the main difference I would think would be lack of older, historic neighborhoods and a lack of gentrifiers.

The only place being targeted for gentrification anywhere near CV is Bombay Beach. But that'll never be upscale in a million years.

Old 08-22-2017, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSR13 View Post
These businesses go to where the customers are. Also, there is vanity. The Chambers of Commerce of DHS, Cat City, Indio, and Coachella could launch initiatives designed at drawing upscale businesses to their cities, but you also have the factors of customers not wanting to go shopping in those towns, because they're "better than that".

You don't see the gentrification you do in bigger cities because there is a hipster deficit in the CV. The party-hearty service workers of the CV with their high school degrees aren't into hipster things. Also, there are no older, historic sections of the CV that would become "cool" once gentrified, other than Palm Springs and that is already upscale.

So the main difference I would think would be lack of older, historic neighborhoods and a lack of gentrifiers.

The only place being targeted for gentrification anywhere near CV is Bombay Beach. But that'll never be upscale in a million years.
Makes me wonder why exactly would they not shop in either of these cities.

Old 08-22-2017, 07:22 PM

Because they're image-conscious and a lot of CV residents are from the LA area. The main drawback of the CV imo is the LA influence.

It's like asking a Scottsdale snob to shop in Phoenix, lol.

Old 08-22-2017, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Because they're image-conscious and a lot of CV residents are from the LA area. The main drawback of the CV imo is the LA influence.

It's like asking a Scottsdale snob to shop in Phoenix, lol.
No LA influence, you say? Huh... I always thought that no matter where in SoCal you are there would always be some LA influence.

Old 08-22-2017, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Graves View Post
No LA influence, you say? Huh... I always thought that no matter where in SoCal you are there would always be some LA influence.
There's too much LA influence in the CV, esp the western part. The further east and south you go (towards Blythe or towards Mexicali), the less LA influence there is.

LA influence is something to avoid imo.

Old 08-22-2017, 07:37 PM

Quote:
There's too much LA influence in the CV, esp the western part. The further east and south you go (towards Blythe or towards Mexicali), the less LA influence there is.

LA influence is something to avoid imo.
Interesting indeed...

Old 08-22-2017, 07:39 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,923,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Graves View Post
Not San Diego.

Anyhow, just enjoy your Jack-in-the-Box's and Del Tacos when they get built. "Good" stuff is overrated. When a Whole Foods or a micro brewery gets built in my neighborhood, I know it's time to move.

Old 08-22-2017, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Not San Diego.

Anyhow, just enjoy your Jack-in-the-Box's and Del Tacos when they get built. "Good" stuff is overrated. When a Whole Foods or a micro brewery gets built in my neighborhood, I know it's time to move.
Awesome, that's now my profile's greeting message

Old 08-22-2017, 07:57 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,923,286 times
Quote:
Awesome, that's now my profile's greeting message
As they say...."there goes the neighborhood".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties