Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2008, 09:24 AM

53 posts, read 206,594 times

Advertisements

My husbands job is in Ontario. Where is a good,safe clean place to live if you have kids? The air quality always looks so nasty out there. Any opinions on home prices declining further out there? How is Murrieta and Temecula? Is it worth living in Riverside County to have a house or stay in OC?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2008, 12:34 PM

3,536 posts, read 5,905,198 times
Rancho Cucamonga, Chino, Chino Hills, Northern Ontario, and North Fontana are closer to you husbands work. These are all nice places. Rancho Cucamonga is a good bet. The traffic leaving Southwest Riverside County sucks...esp going northbound. North Fontana is the cheapest and is a nice area around Seirra Lakes. Plus the commute time is about 10-20 min whereas it's 40min-1hr from Temecula

Old 10-28-2008, 12:42 PM

53 posts, read 206,594 times
Chino smells and is full of cow farms. Correct me if I am wrong but anytime I have been in the other cities you mentioned the air is full of pollution,white trash, and chulo's/gangs looking people...???

I have never heard of Sierra Lakes,will check it out.

Old 10-28-2008, 03:29 PM

1,061 posts, read 3,582,008 times
My sister in law lives in Rancho Cucomonga and really enjoys it. As most regulars to this board will know, I'm always in support of Temecula.....not because there aren't any other good places to live, but because this is where I do live and it has been very good to our family. No smog, very safe, a fantastic city government with amazing programs throughout the year (but especially during the summer!), a great school district, and a lot of home ownership opportunities at this time. Your commute will certainly be longer so that is something you'll have to take into consideration. My husband commutes 45 miles to Poway every morning, but would rather do that than to live in any of the cities that are closer.

Old 10-29-2008, 03:45 AM

3,536 posts, read 5,905,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OC California View Post
Chino smells and is full of cow farms. Correct me if I am wrong but anytime I have been in the other cities you mentioned the air is full of pollution,white trash, and chulo's/gangs looking people...???

I have never heard of Sierra Lakes,will check it out.
The whole white trash thing is a stereotype. I felt that way when my brother moved to Yorba Linda/Anaheim Hills (bikers and big trucks, but then I realized that this is a minority of people, it's a matter of perception). Chino is actually a lot more developed. Rancho Cucamonga is one of California's safest...along with Chino Hills. Plus Northern Fontana is literally bordering Rancho. Lots of foreclousures on golf course properties, in a place where the median income is around 80k or so. Northern Ontario is bordering Rancho Cucamonga as well. I work around there. No gangs wandering the streets filled with Mcmansions. I mean the bias for this region is mostly fabricated. Check out the neighborhoods.

Air pollution is bad from Yorba Linda onwards...any city relatively inland and surrounded by mountains will be affected by pollution. Every city 15 miles plus inland is affected by smog. The way the mountain system in Southern California works. Winds coming from the coast blow smog inland and that gets trapped by the mountains. The only time that this is reversed is during the Santa Ana winds. Hence why San Gabriel and inland OC also have fairly poor air quality.

Old 10-29-2008, 07:10 AM

419 posts, read 1,449,458 times
Check out San Dimas, Glendora, La Verne, Diamond Bar, Walnut.

These would be reverse commutes to Ontario.

Of course, smog gathers around foothills, too. So that1guy is mostly right - it's generally more smoggy than OC.

You also could consider Big Bear or Lake Arrowhead if you wanted to get above the smog.

My personal advice is to think beyond this one job. We have had a lot of discussion on this board re: jobs in the IE; there is no argument that there are MORE jobs closer to the coast. Thus my original suggestions vs. stuff too far out.

Good luck.

Old 11-17-2008, 11:26 AM

80 posts, read 276,008 times
I guess it depends on where in OC you are. My aunt & uncle live in Anaheim Hills, and that would be my first choice if moving closer to Ontario (or Yorba Linda). If that is out of your price range, I would select Corona, Riverside or Temecula. I live in Temecula and husband works in Rancho Cucamonga and it takes him about 1-1.5 hrs to get to work depending on the time of day....I would not live anymore north on the 15 than Corona (personally) unless it was off the 91 (Riverside, A.H., Y.L.).

Old 11-17-2008, 12:28 PM

419 posts, read 1,449,458 times
Let's see... Corona/Riverside/Temecula

over

San Dimas, Glendora, La Verne, Diamond Bar, Walnut?

That's not a trick question, is it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties