Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 06:46 PM

1,061 posts, read 3,583,804 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pll View Post
One interesting fact to note- when we lived in CA we could hardly afford to go to Disneyland but when we left CA we were able to go 7or 8 times.Interesting.
That *is* interesting! Just the other day I went to one of my friend's bridal showers down in San Diego- drove the 60 miles to get there, stayed 2 hours, then drove the 60 miles home. All the other girls wanted to go out for drinks and everything afterward, but I knew I couldn't safely make that happen and get home at a decent hour.....and then one of my friends said something along the lines of your statement. She said "You know, you don't live close enough to just come out with us whenever you want and you don't live far enough away to justify a weekend trip to the hubby and kids. I almost think we'd be able to have more fun together if you lived out of state and flew in for a weekend every six months". That was a real eye-opener, that someone else who really loves living in SoCal would advise that I move so I could see them more and enjoy the coastal areas more. I've been thinking about that a lot since then, so your comment about Disneyland really struck me. Definitely something to think about!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2009, 08:34 PM
pll pll started this thread

1,112 posts, read 2,486,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dweej View Post
That *is* interesting! Just the other day I went to one of my friend's bridal showers down in San Diego- drove the 60 miles to get there, stayed 2 hours, then drove the 60 miles home. All the other girls wanted to go out for drinks and everything afterward, but I knew I couldn't safely make that happen and get home at a decent hour.....and then one of my friends said something along the lines of your statement. She said "You know, you don't live close enough to just come out with us whenever you want and you don't live far enough away to justify a weekend trip to the hubby and kids. I almost think we'd be able to have more fun together if you lived out of state and flew in for a weekend every six months". That was a real eye-opener, that someone else who really loves living in SoCal would advise that I move so I could see them more and enjoy the coastal areas more. I've been thinking about that a lot since then, so your comment about Disneyland really struck me. Definitely something to think about!
Are you wishing you lived closer to the coast? That would be ideal for us too. The homes are at least 100k more. The travel time is something we will have to consider too because our relatives live closer to the coast. Staying the night would be an option for you and your girlfriends as well.

Old 02-01-2009, 09:06 PM

1,061 posts, read 3,583,804 times
Quote:
Are you wishing you lived closer to the coast? That would be ideal for us too. The homes are at least 100k more. The travel time is something we will have to consider too because our relatives live closer to the coast. Staying the night would be an option for you and your girlfriends as well.
Sure! I don't know of many (any?) people who would choose to live inland if they could afford to have a nice home closer to the coast. Of course, that's precisely why the coastal homes are so much more expensive . There's just not a 'perfect' combination in SoCal unless you are quite well-off financially. Temecula is great if you have kids because you get the good schools, the extra-curricular activities, a house that's big enough for you to breathe, etc. What you don't get is the short commute, a quick trip to the beach or the zoo, or lots of events/nightlife/higher ed. I think if a person has family, friends, history, and a job in SoCal, it's wise to make sure you're clear on your priorities before choosing exactly where to live around here (Temecula is my pick!!). If a person doesn't have family, friends, history, or a good job in SoCal, it's wise to weigh the option of living in a different state altogether . Good luck in whatever you choose to do!

Old 02-01-2009, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dweej View Post
Sure! I don't know of many (any?) people who would choose to live inland if they could afford to have a nice home closer to the coast. Of course, that's precisely why the coastal homes are so much more expensive . There's just not a 'perfect' combination in SoCal unless you are quite well-off financially. Temecula is great if you have kids because you get the good schools, the extra-curricular activities, a house that's big enough for you to breathe, etc. What you don't get is the short commute, a quick trip to the beach or the zoo, or lots of events/nightlife/higher ed. I think if a person has family, friends, history, and a job in SoCal, it's wise to make sure you're clear on your priorities before choosing exactly where to live around here (Temecula is my pick!!). If a person doesn't have family, friends, history, or a good job in SoCal, it's wise to weigh the option of living in a different state altogether . Good luck in whatever you choose to do!
Thanks for your help. Yes, I agree there is so much more to do as you get closer to the coast. You have to realize that we are coming from Boise. It is rural compared to CA standards. One example would be our tiny zoo. A person could probably go through our zoo in 45 minutes. Much different then the SD zoo. There is not a lot to do here. So, if we have to drive to play on the weekends we won't complain ...at first. Maybe we will in the future though.lol. I know if my husband lost his job and had to commute we would have to reevaluate living situation.

I do have a question about the friendliness of the people. I know that people are the same everywhere but there is no denying the fact that sometimes in certain areas people have personality traits. Right now we live in an area where the locals are reserved, friendly but distant. Maybe the weather and the time spent indoors has contributed to this but we are looking for a city where friendships go beyond the "hello" stage. What are they like in Temecula/Murietta?

Old 02-03-2009, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipxe View Post
This is one reason I enjoy Temecula. You can find an affordable place in a safe area that has a lot in town, but isn't far from *anything* you could want. Even though I don't live on the coast I sometimes get an urge to just dip my toes in the water and enjoy the cool breeze. If I lived in Boise that is just a dream. Living in Temecula I can take my lunch break and drive down to Oceanside. I can go to Laguna Beach saturday morning and spend the day relaxing by the ocean. All without paying coastal prices.
I was wondering what your thoughts were of Murrieta? From what I have seen it seems like the homes are less expensive. It probably takes longer to get the the coastal areas. Is it as nice as Temecula?

Old 02-03-2009, 07:43 PM

214 posts, read 1,084,378 times
Quote:
I was wondering what your thoughts were of Murrieta? From what I have seen it seems like the homes are less expensive. It probably takes longer to get the the coastal areas. Is it as nice as Temecula?
I actually live right on the border of Murrieta/Temecula. Murrieta is very nice also. Not as industrialized as Temecula. Some parts of Murrieta are in the Menifee Valley (vs the Temecula Valley) and I tend to not like those parts. It seems very far from "the city" (Temecula). You are a bit further from the coast (5 minutes or so more). Some parts of Murrieta are in the Temecula school district (which is a bit better). Murrieta has a higher median family income and some very exclusive neighborhoods (La Costa, Greer Ranch, Bear Creek) but it also has more rural neighborhoods than Temecula. There are some AMAZING custom estates in the hills of Murrieta that have great views of the valley.

Old 02-03-2009, 08:59 PM

Some parts of Murrieta are in the Menifee Valley (vs the Temecula Valley) and I tend to not like those parts[quote=eclipxe;7310256]

Where is the Menifee Valley?

Quick question about Murietta Subdivisions: La Costa, Greer Ranch, Bear Creek

Do they have community pools? Where are they are located?

Thanks for your help

Old 02-03-2009, 09:16 PM

[quote=pll;7311429]Some parts of Murrieta are in the Menifee Valley (vs the Temecula Valley) and I tend to not like those parts
Quote:

Where is the Menifee Valley?

Quick question about Murietta Subdivisions: La Costa, Greer Ranch, Bear Creek

Do they have community pools? Where are they are located?

Thanks for your help
Sorry - I said La Costa, I meant La Cresta.

Menifee Valley is the area past Clinton Keith rd, along the I-215. It is adjacent to Temecula Valley but separated by a few hills. It is much more rural in character (although there are plenty of subdivisions throughout). This area is poised for much more pain ahead, as it is not well established and doesn't have a strong core. When most folks describe Murrieta/Temecula they tend to describe an area that is closer in character to Menifee Valley than the actual Temecula Valley. The Temecula Valley gets cool afternoon coastal breezes from the Rainbow gap and is a lot "greener" with rolling hills. Menifee Valley is much flatter and browner. Cities in the Menifee Valley are truly suburbs of Temecula. There are a couple of shopping centers/strip malls but everyone I know in the area drives to Temecula or Murrieta for shopping, movies, dining, etc. There aren't many businesses or office parks in Menifee Valley, but there are a few fortune 500 companies in Temecula and lots more business and office parks with smaller businesses.

I believe Greer Ranch has a community pool, not sure. The HOA there is crazy ($300-$400/mo) and taxes are VERY high (2.5+%). Bear Creek is a gated community in the hills to the west, near Wildomar and the Santa Rosa plateau. It is a golf community with multi-million dollar homes. La Cresta is further nestled in the Santa Rosa plateau and also has multi-million dollar estates.

Old 02-23-2009, 09:49 PM

101 posts, read 327,980 times
[quote=eclipxe;7311704]
Quote:
Some parts of Murrieta are in the Menifee Valley (vs the Temecula Valley) and I tend to not like those parts

Sorry - I said La Costa, I meant La Cresta.

Menifee Valley is the area past Clinton Keith rd, along the I-215. It is adjacent to Temecula Valley but separated by a few hills. It is much more rural in character (although there are plenty of subdivisions throughout). This area is poised for much more pain ahead, as it is not well established and doesn't have a strong core. When most folks describe Murrieta/Temecula they tend to describe an area that is closer in character to Menifee Valley than the actual Temecula Valley. The Temecula Valley gets cool afternoon coastal breezes from the Rainbow gap and is a lot "greener" with rolling hills. Menifee Valley is much flatter and browner. Cities in the Menifee Valley are truly suburbs of Temecula. There are a couple of shopping centers/strip malls but everyone I know in the area drives to Temecula or Murrieta for shopping, movies, dining, etc. There aren't many businesses or office parks in Menifee Valley, but there are a few fortune 500 companies in Temecula and lots more business and office parks with smaller businesses.

I believe Greer Ranch has a community pool, not sure. The HOA there is crazy ($300-$400/mo) and taxes are VERY high (2.5+%). Bear Creek is a gated community in the hills to the west, near Wildomar and the Santa Rosa plateau. It is a golf community with multi-million dollar homes. La Cresta is further nestled in the Santa Rosa plateau and also has multi-million dollar estates.
If 2.5% property tax is high,What is the average.I`m planning to move there by years end and I have 4 children and presently live in a beautiful part of the pacific northwet,but the rain festival(october-april) is starting to wear us out after 7 years.thanks.

Old 02-24-2009, 12:47 AM

[quote=bigolwoody;7600932]
Quote:
If 2.5% property tax is high,What is the average.I`m planning to move there by years end and I have 4 children and presently live in a beautiful part of the pacific northwet,but the rain festival(october-april) is starting to wear us out after 7 years.thanks.

The base property tax is anywhere from 1.0 - 1.2%. Newer cities have higher base rates. Unincorporated riverside county (which some parts of Murrieta/Temecula are) start with a 1.1% base rate.

Mello-roos will be in most neighborhoods. These depend on the amount of infrastructure and community services that were put in place when the neighborhood was developed. Because of Prop 13 in California, communities pay for new sewers, schools, roads, etc by adding additional bonds in certain neighborhoods. Mello-roos expire after time but they add anywhere from .2-1% to the tax bill. These are often a fixed price rather than based on the sales price like property tax.

Your lot size will also determine the property tax and mello-roos you pay. Some of the tracts in Morgan Hill have regular lots and the taxes are abotu 1.8-1.9%. Larger lots (.25+ acres) have up to 2.5%. That was the highest rate I saw out here. The property tax is capped and can only increase a very small percentage each year (Prop 13) so you don't have to worry too much about exploding tax bills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties