Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2009, 09:19 AM

5 posts, read 11,894 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if anyone knows the laws about loud noise on the weekend. My neighbors send their kids outside every weekend as early as 6 am and they scream, yell and fight right next to our bedroom windows waking me and my daughter up. They have about 12 people living in a 2 bedroom 543 square foot house, so they constantly put the kids outside so they don't have to deal with it, and the rest of the neighborhood does. We call the cops, but it takes hours to get out here and usually they quiet down when the see the cops pull up. The man next door told me he does not care about waking people up and we can go f@#% ourselves if we don't like it. Is there anything else I can do. Is there someone other than the police, who really don't care anyway, that can help. We have also tried to let the landlord know and he also said he doesn't care, and to call the police. It is lame that we can't even enjoy peace and quiet after a long week of work because some people can't be respectful. Thanks in advance to anyone that might be able to give me some advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2009, 09:33 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,552,296 times
Try calling childrens services, citing lack of care and supervision of these children.

Old 09-05-2009, 09:53 AM

8,091 posts, read 15,429,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raynay View Post
I was wondering if anyone knows the laws about loud noise on the weekend. My neighbors send their kids outside every weekend as early as 6 am and they scream, yell and fight right next to our bedroom windows waking me and my daughter up. They have about 12 people living in a 2 bedroom 543 square foot house, so they constantly put the kids outside so they don't have to deal with it, and the rest of the neighborhood does. We call the cops, but it takes hours to get out here and usually they quiet down when the see the cops pull up. The man next door told me he does not care about waking people up and we can go f@#% ourselves if we don't like it. Is there anything else I can do. Is there someone other than the police, who really don't care anyway, that can help. We have also tried to let the landlord know and he also said he doesn't care, and to call the police. It is lame that we can't even enjoy peace and quiet after a long week of work because some people can't be respectful. Thanks in advance to anyone that might be able to give me some advice.

Call your landlord every single time they wake you up. And then call the police. Especially if it's 6 AM.

Seriously - most local noise ordinances designate certain "quiet hours" -- for example, from 10 p.m. to 7 a.m. on weekdays and until 8 or 9 a.m. on weekends.

If complaining doesn't work, get a copy of your local noise ordinance. Send a copy to the neighbor with a note repeating your request to keep the noise down and explaining that you'll be forced to notify the authorities if you don't get results. Be sure to provide details on the problem, including the dates and times of the noise.

If you rent or live in a planned development, send a copy of the lease agreement or special rules (usually called Covenants, Conditions, and Restrictions) to the neighbor. If that doesn't work, report the problem to the landlord or homeowners' association in writing. It helps if several tenants complain at the same time.

Almost every community prohibits excessive, unnecessary, and unreasonable noise. To find Riverside's noise rules, look up the local ordinances.

* County: www .countyofriverside.us
* City: www .riversideca.gov

(remove the space between www and '.' - I couldn't stop C-D from mangling the URL)

If your neighbor keeps disturbing you, you can sue, and ask the court for money damages or to order the neighbor to stop the noise ("abate the nuisance," in legal terms). For money damages alone, you can use small claims court. For a court order telling somebody to stop doing something, you'll probably have to sue in regular court.

Of course, what you really want is for the nuisance to stop. But getting a small claims court to order your neighbor to pay you money can be amazingly effective. And suing in small claims court is easy, inexpensive, and doesn't require a lawyer.

To win, you'll need to show:

* There is excessive and disturbing noise.
* The person you are suing is either creating the noise or is it the landlord and therefore responsible.
* Your enjoyment of your home is affected.
* You have asked the person to stop the noise.

To prove your case, use police reports, witnesses, your own testimony, or even a recording.

As for 12 people living in a 2-bedroom, call code enforcement and report them AND the landlord.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties