Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2007, 03:26 PM

2 posts, read 12,066 times

Advertisements

Help,

Moving to Carlsbad, but will be working in Temecula. How is the drive? What are rents like in Carlsbad? What would you recommend? Want to save on electric bills with the heat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2007, 09:57 PM

59 posts, read 428,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hannah1955 View Post
Help,

Moving to Carlsbad, but will be working in Temecula. How is the drive? What are rents like in Carlsbad? What would you recommend? Want to save on electric bills with the heat.
You might be the only one, ha ha. You should be driving against traffic in all segments of your commute. Maybe a bit of something from 1-5 north to 76 East? Did I read that right? Living in Carlsbad, working in Temecula?!? When I drove the 76 from Old Hwy 395 to East Vista Way, I recall eastbound traffic being very light. I'd be surprised if the rest of eastbound 76 (from I-5) would be any different. 15 north from 76 is nothing.

I've never rented in Carlsbad. Obviously it's going to be more than T-Town, Vista or Oceanside, unless it's the worst of Carlsbad compared to those areas' best. Try North County Times' online classified section or Craigslist. Done and done.

Old 05-30-2007, 11:56 AM

3,490 posts, read 3,200,429 times
Quote:
Help,

The previous poster is right, you should be going against traffic.
Don't know if your familiar with the area, but Temecula is a nice town and a great place to live, and cheaper than S.D. County, unless you are determined to live by the beach.
Rent in Carlsbad will depend on if you are single, married, children....????

Old 05-30-2007, 12:57 PM

2 posts, read 12,066 times
working 3rd shift, so to save on air-conditioning - do not want to live in Temecula.

Old 05-30-2007, 01:02 PM

840 posts, read 6,516,145 times
Quote:
working 3rd shift, so to save on air-conditioning - do not want to live in Temecula.
That would be the least of your problems. You're going 100+ miles round trip a day and gas is definitely high in Southern California. Unless you're rich or have a hybrid, most people wouldn't even think about commuting 100 miles to and from work everyday.

EDIT: Just realized the difference between Google Maps and Yahoo Maps with estimated miles and times. Yahoo is saying around 60 miles round trip. Could be worse, but not a commute I'd do myself.

Last edited by Imperial1904; 05-30-2007 at 01:25 PM..

Old 05-30-2007, 01:14 PM

Quote:
You realize the rent difference will make living in either about the same monetarily, but you wont be waisting gas/time commuting if you live in Temecula. Just saying!

Otherwise, rent in Carlsbad will be about $500-$1k a month at least for a decent place for 1 person. You may want to look into renting a room in a house, but it will run about the same and you have to live with your landlord. Good option though if, say, the house is really nice and/or by the beach and that's what you want and you get a cool landlord/roommate. Lots of people rent out rooms in order to meet their outrageous mortgage payments.

To commute to Temecula, don't do what Mapquest says and take the 78 to the 15. Instead, take the 78 to either Melrose or Vista Village Dr. exit. Go under/over the freeway and at the light turn right on E. Vista Way. Go north about 10 minutes to Gopher Canyon Rd. and go right. Go to the 15 freeway and go north. Hope this helps!

Old 05-30-2007, 03:54 PM

Is third shift like 11 p - 7 a.m.?

I was gonna say, 100 miles is high. It is about 10-12 miles from Temecula to I-15/76 junction, then about 18 miles to the 5 in Oceanside, then 3-5 miles south to Carlsbad.

Generally, I'd imagine a single person enjoying Carlsbad more than Temecula. All of our recommendations are influenced, of course, by our own preferences. In Carlsbad, you have access to the same big-box stores and chains, if not quite as centralized fashion as a central T-Towner, but more entertainment/dining variety. You are also closer to all that Encinitas/Solana Beach/Del Mar has to offer in those areas. And cruising the Duck Pond really isn't the same as the boardwalk in Carlsbad, IMHO.

Old 05-30-2007, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northcountystooge View Post
Is third shift like 11 p - 7 a.m.?

I was gonna say, 100 miles is high. It is about 10-12 miles from Temecula to I-15/76 junction, then about 18 miles to the 5 in Oceanside, then 3-5 miles south to Carlsbad.

Generally, I'd imagine a single person enjoying Carlsbad more than Temecula. All of our recommendations are influenced, of course, by our own preferences. In Carlsbad, you have quick access to all the same big-box stores and chains, but more entertainment/dining variety. You are also closer to Encinitas/Solana Beach/Del Mar.
Agree with you here again, stooge. If I were single I wouldnt care about the commute too much, but just thought I should point out the $$ savings in electricity would be matched by the gas/time spent driving instead if that was the reason to live in Carlsbad.
Otherwise? NO comparison. Live by the beach!

Old 05-30-2007, 04:08 PM

You're right, if I may return the favor to you.
I suppose if you were going to do what Hannah wants to do, you could rationalize the commute time and gas $ by noting the energy savings.

If third shift means overnight, she's going to join morning commuters heading south and west, too. Maybe a spiffy Rancho del Oro apartment near 76? Compromises, however, usually leave one feeling compromised, I reckon.

Old 02-06-2009, 02:02 AM

1 posts, read 5,359 times
hey I am planning on doing the same thing!!! Have you done it ? how is it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties