Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 10:27 PM

6 posts, read 22,524 times

Advertisements

Hello all, My wife and I are trying to decide where to move. She has an employment offer in Barstow but we don't want to live that close to the middle of nowhere. We would like to live in downtown Riverside as we have friends there and like the area. However, we really have no clue if that commute is possible. If it's just over an hour as google maps says than it's a possibility, but we would love to hear from some folks in the area.

Is there any public transportation between Barstow and Riverside? Are there any cool areas (coffee shops, restaurants, safety) in San Bernardino? All we have heard from our friends who grew up in the IE is that SB is really sketchy... Is this true? Please give us some advice on what will be the least painful compromise. How does one work in Barstow and have a good home life that is near you know....something?

For the record, we are in our late 20s, liberal, and I surf. So, being closer rather than further from the ocean is a consideration.

In advance, thanks so much for your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2009, 01:35 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,440,674 times
Riverside to Barstow is approximately 80 miles one-way, up and over the Cajon Pass.

That would be a *miserable* drive. There is no public transportation (ie, city buses) between the two.

Barstow to Newport Beach is about 115 to 125 miles one-way.

Riverside to Newport is about 45 miles through some of the worst traffic Southern California has to offer.

I don't think you're going to get your wishes.

Last edited by Gandalara; 08-17-2009 at 01:49 PM.. Reason: spelling and addition

Old 08-17-2009, 02:53 PM

1,554 posts, read 5,291,338 times
Whatever you do, don't move to Barstow.

Old 08-17-2009, 03:02 PM

6 posts, read 22,524 times
Yeah, Barstow is out for sure. Is the Cajon Pass drivable throughout the winter? I assume most commuter traffic goes away from Barstow...

Concerning the drive to the coast, I know it is pretty hellish. I have done it a handful of times when visiting.

Any good neighborhoods in Victorville/San Bernardino? Near the college perhaps?

Thanks again.

Old 08-17-2009, 06:38 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,440,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskell View Post
Yeah, Barstow is out for sure. Is the Cajon Pass drivable throughout the winter? I assume most commuter traffic goes away from Barstow...
It depends on the winter -- I can't remember the last time it was closed for the whole day, they usually open it up within in a few hours.

But it can also get closed down *completely* during fire season too.

I got stuck in Hesperia once when they closed it due to fog (late night).

LOL - I don't think there is any commuter traffic in Barstow. Between Apple Valley/Victorville and San Bernardino there can be some. It's 2-4 lanes on both sides all the way over the hill.

If you look for housing in San Bernardino (that'd still be too much of an everyday drive for me, to Barstow) -- choose your neighborhoods very very VERY carefully. Oh, and SB has a city utility tax. Phone, power, gas, water, cable, etc. It was 8%, they're *lowering* it to 7.93%. It adds a LOT to your utility bills.

Old 08-17-2009, 10:31 PM

89 posts, read 201,890 times
You might check out one of the mountain towns like Crestline or Lake Arrowhead. That would save you a trip up the mountain every day... It still seems too long of a commute to me though.... Good luck finding something!

Old 08-18-2009, 01:55 AM

4,538 posts, read 10,633,438 times
Quote:
She has an employment offer in Barstow
Quote:
For the record, we are in our late 20s, liberal, and I surf. So, being closer rather than further from the ocean is a consideration.
These two things are not compatible.

The only reason you should accept that job offer in Bartsow is if you intend to use it to save money like mad and promote your further careers. Weekends in Vegas or Los Angeles. Longer weekends = better(ie a modified work schedule to 9/80 or 4/10 is preferable).

Barstow is an armpit. There are a couple nice neighborhoods. Many people live in Apple Valley or Victorville. Those are still a combination of cookie cutter desert suburbia and white trash meth hoods. It doesn't sound like you would be happy at all out there.

I don't think anything in the IE is a reasonable consideration due to the drive. Same thing with the mountain communities. Its about an hour from Big Bear to Barstow and the road WILL be closed during some days in the winter.

Old 08-18-2009, 02:06 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,951,328 times
Most people that are willing to take a job in Barstow are also those that are willing to live in Barstow. There isn't really much of a way around it. Life will slowly evaporate if she chooses to commute from RIV or SB.

What's more important? The job, or the life?

Old 08-18-2009, 07:34 AM

1,627 posts, read 3,218,757 times
There are some very nice neighborhoods in Apple Valley, Victorville and Hesperia. Please, please consider living closer to work. Do not buy property but rent.

I agree with the rest of the posters, you would not be comfortable living in Barstow.

Cajon pass can become very foggy and very dangerous to drive. Not uncommon for cars to hit each other during the foggy conditions. I have driven that several times, where we were driving 25 miles an hour..hoping we would not run into a car.

My advice is to rent, live closer to work, and enjoy the surroundings. You have the San Bernardino Mountains nearby that are fun to explore. You are within 3 hours of the ocean. Not far from Vegas. Lake Silverwood is within a 40 min commute. Enjoy!!

Old 08-18-2009, 03:55 PM

4 posts, read 21,180 times
Check out Spring Valley Lake (SVLA.COM) it is one of the only places I would live in the desert as it is a higher income community.

Good Luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties