Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 01:36 AM

5,610 posts, read 23,310,736 times

Advertisements

Hello-- I live in Phoenix right now and am also very familiar with Las Vegas (hence, my user name) but haven't been to Southern California much at all. I'm in college right now and want to pursue a career in real estate development. I'm researching different parts of the country I might want to live in after I graduate. I notice that the Inland Empire area, San Bernardino and Riverside counties has cheaper housing prices, more development going on, and more land to grow than LA, OC, or SD, and it seems many people will commute to the coastal cities. Has anybody lived or travelled extensively in Phoenix and the Inland Empire? How does the climate compare? Is the desert landscape similar? How urbanized, or "packed in" is the Inland Empire? Is it mile-to-mile gridded out concrete, like Phoenix, or is there a lot of open space? If you had to choose between living in Phoenix, Vegas, the Inland Empire, and heck, throw in the High Desert/ Apple Valley areas as well, which would you choose?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2007, 11:30 AM

1,999 posts, read 4,875,368 times
The Inland Empire is Huge and currently has a population of over 4 million and is the fastest growing region in Southern CA...I don't know about the entire region,but only the area called Rancho Cucamonga,because I lived there for 3 months while visiting friends.

In my opinion if you live in the Inland Empire their is a much Greater Variety of things to See and Do since Los Angeles,Orange,and Ventura Counties are nearby.

The Climate in the valley portion of the Inland Empire does get hot,but it doesn't stay as hot for long periods like Phoenix since the Marine Layer occasionally flows in from the Pacific and cools things off...I also heard that the closer you live towards Cajon Pass it becomes more Breezy or Windier...When I was in Rancho Cucamonga is was rare to have a day with the air calm...The Winters can get chilly with occasional frost in some parts of the Inland Empire.

I don't think any area of the Inland Empire is located in the same desert as Phoenix,so the Landscape and Vegetation is different,but I have a feeling that you'll find the Inland Empire more Greener than Phoenix despite the Dry Climate of both areas.

If I had a choice between Phoenix,Las Vegas or The Inland Empire,I would definately choose The Inland Empire since it's closer to the Beach and I enjoy so much of the Activities and Entertainment that Southern California offers.

Old 06-14-2007, 11:38 AM

9,527 posts, read 30,477,668 times
IE is not the high desert, it is a valley between the LA coastal ranges (San Gabriel) and the eastern mountain ranges (San Bernardinos). East of the SB range is the actual desert.

IE is a mix of older communities and new communities. The northern part of the IE is the most developed with the new development mostly in the southern IE (Riverside County). It is growing fast as it is the transportation and manufacturing hub of SoCal, as well as relatively affordable compared to LA or OC.

Generally houses in the IE tend to be either small ranch homes in the older areas or large crackerbox tract homes in the newer areas. Many people commute to LA and OC for work, especially white-collar professionals.

Old 06-14-2007, 10:42 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,310,736 times
Okay, what I'm really wondering is, do people who live in the IE really want to live there, or are they "settling" for those areas because they want proximity to LA or OC but can't afford to live closer to the coast? Let's make this more concrete. What about places like:

Rancho Cucamonga (already mentioned by Caliguy)?
Ontario?
Moreno Valley?
Hemet?
Lake Elsinore?
Temecula?

Here's what I'm getting at... are these cities that people would move to California just to live in, or are they "second best" places? I'm sure that if money was no issue, most people would rather live in Santa Barbara, Santa Monica, Newport Beach, or La Jolla, than either the IE or Phoenix. But if the choice was between a Moreno Valley, CA, or say, a Surprise, AZ, would that still be as easy a choice?

Old 06-15-2007, 12:05 AM

683 posts, read 4,616,803 times
For me, it is definitely settling, which is why I'm moving. I would guess it's settling for a lot of people, but I'm sure there will be some who will defend it...why? We will have to see.

Old 06-15-2007, 09:01 AM

3,490 posts, read 3,199,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
Okay, what I'm really wondering is, do people who live in the IE really want to live there, or are they "settling" for those areas because they want proximity to LA or OC but can't afford to live closer to the coast? Let's make this more concrete. What about places like:

Rancho Cucamonga (already mentioned by Caliguy)?
Ontario?
Moreno Valley?
Hemet?
Lake Elsinore?
Temecula?

Here's what I'm getting at... are these cities that people would move to California just to live in, or are they "second best" places? I'm sure that if money was no issue, most people would rather live in Santa Barbara, Santa Monica, Newport Beach, or La Jolla, than either the IE or Phoenix. But if the choice was between a Moreno Valley, CA, or say, a Surprise, AZ, would that still be as easy a choice?
IMHO, in general the IE is "settling" because one can't afford to live in OC or LA or SD. That being said, one possible exception to this would be Temecula, where I used to live from 2000-2006. It is generally cooler (temperature-wise) and nicer than most other towns in the IE.

I'm not familiar with Surprise, but I am with MoVal, and it's not a very nice place (again, IMHO).

The other town on your list that isn't that bad (in parts) is Rancho Cuco. Avoid the rest like the plague. Some people will say that Lake Elsinore is improving, and perhaps it is, but I don't like it.

Sassberto's post is right on as well, so consider that good info on the area.

Old 06-15-2007, 09:08 AM

23 posts, read 95,622 times
I would say that most of the people in the IE have "settled" and it is basically economics. For those that want to own a home in S. Cal, you drive until you can qualify for a home loan!!!

Old 06-15-2007, 09:12 AM

9,527 posts, read 30,477,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
Okay, what I'm really wondering is, do people who live in the IE really want to live there, or are they "settling" for those areas because they want proximity to LA or OC but can't afford to live closer to the coast?
Given that the cost of a house in the IE may be 50% or less than the same house in LA / OC / San Diego, I don't even know that it's a choice for a lot of people. The choice is either leave CA, buy in a sketchy area, or move to the IE.

The key is job centers. The closer you are to the job centers the more expensive it gets. That's why places like Temecula remain cheap - there are simply no jobs anywhere nearby.

Most of the cities you mentioned are not particularly desirable with the exception of Rancho Cucamonga and Temecula. In the north IE most of the better areas are west of 15 and north of 66 (Foothill blvd). Chino Hills, Corona also have nice areas too.

Just be prepared for the heat, smog, and traffic that is endemic to the area. Yes it is growing fast and it looks like that growth is not stopping anytime soon.

Old 06-15-2007, 11:31 AM

1,082 posts, read 3,780,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffncandace View Post
IMHO, in general the IE is "settling" because one can't afford to live in OC or LA or SD. That being said, one possible exception to this would be Temecula, where I used to live from 2000-2006. It is generally cooler (temperature-wise) and nicer than most other towns in the IE.

I'm not familiar with Surprise, but I am with MoVal, and it's not a very nice place (again, IMHO).

The other town on your list that isn't that bad (in parts) is Rancho Cuco. Avoid the rest like the plague. Some people will say that Lake Elsinore is improving, and perhaps it is, but I don't like it.

Sassberto's post is right on as well, so consider that good info on the area.
Oh goodness jeffncandace, we agree on something, most definitely agree!!
You are spot on here!
MBG

Old 06-15-2007, 12:00 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,199,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightbirdgirl View Post
Oh goodness jeffncandace, we agree on something, most definitely agree!!
You are spot on here!
MBG
*falls to the floor* WHOA! I think this makes twice!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties