Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 01:15 AM

1,619 posts, read 2,042,649 times

Advertisements

Tell me all the bad things about living in Hillcrest. I was all set to move there full time in June next year after school ends. I had everything mapped out, planned, and really anticipated the move.

Then, deaths in family back in NY and I feel guilty for not being back home to be with relatives there. I almost feel like it is my duty to be there and feel bad other family members are not of the same mindset.

So, I am doing what people suggested and trying to do a pro/con list.

I wouldn't be unhappy in NY, but I really had my heart set on SD. What is making it hard for me is the human aspect. A million pros on the SD list cannot compare to being with family on the NY pro list, can it?

So, I know this is my decision and 4 other people's living situation (brother and his wife/kids will almost 100% move where I end up) will be based on making the move to NY or SD with me. But, I am trying to ascertain some negatives about SD. All I have so far is that one set of relatives will not be there. Most of my other family would then be in SD or LA, so no problems with family there .

I am actually sick about this. I feel such guilt about not being in NY, but I am also a little sad that I am the only one in the family who does. I feel like I am giving up what I want, to get something I won't hate, but ....... maybe want less??

So, I am not asking anyone to make a decision for me, but tell me what do you like and dislike about living in/near Hillcrest. I fell in love with it the first time I went there and would move there tomorrow if there was no other options. Maybe I am looking at it through rose-colored glasses and don't see the bad.'

So, what do we not like about the area? Cause I am sure having a hard time answering that myself.

Last edited by sidrah; 08-01-2010 at 01:50 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2010, 09:06 AM

9,527 posts, read 30,477,668 times
Homeless, Noise and parking. Other than that, it's great.

Old 08-01-2010, 10:37 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,274,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidrah View Post
Tell me all the bad things about living in Hillcrest. I was all set to move there full time in June next year after school ends. I had everything mapped out, planned, and really anticipated the move.

Then, deaths in family back in NY and I feel guilty for not being back home to be with relatives there. I almost feel like it is my duty to be there and feel bad other family members are not of the same mindset.

So, I am doing what people suggested and trying to do a pro/con list.

I wouldn't be unhappy in NY, but I really had my heart set on SD. What is making it hard for me is the human aspect. A million pros on the SD list cannot compare to being with family on the NY pro list, can it?

So, I know this is my decision and 4 other people's living situation (brother and his wife/kids will almost 100% move where I end up) will be based on making the move to NY or SD with me. But, I am trying to ascertain some negativeas about SD. All I have so far is that one set of relatives will not be there. Most of my other family would then be in SD or LA, so no problems with family there .

I am actually sick about this. I feel such guilt about not being in NY, but I am also a little sad that I am the only one in the family who does. I feel like I am giving up what I want, to get something I won't hate, but ....... maybe want less??

So, I am not asking anyone to make a decision for me, but tell me what do you like and dislike about living in/near Hillcrest. I fell in love with it the first time I went there and would move there tomorrow if there was no other options. Maybe I am looking at it through rose-colored glasses and don't see the bad.'

So, what do we not like about the area? Cause I am sure having a hard time answering that myself.
You should probably make another trip back to Hillcrest to visit now that your mindset is different. Many northeasterners I know, typically go back after several years. There are many different reasons they do, but the most common reasons were : family guilt, no jobs, people in SD sucking.
I agree with 2 of those aspects, family and no jobs. The 3rd well....that always sounded like a cop out for being homesick. If you are unaccustomed to putting yourself out there regardless of where you move, its your fault for not making new friends and then blaming the community.

Here is what I have always told friends that have received the "guilt".
If you have really strong family ties that make you feel guilty about moving far away from "family" then; its either you get over it because you are enjoying your life or you succumb to the guilt and go back. If the family gives you guilt about moving without thinking about what is important to you than the decision seems pretty simple. MOVE. They will learn that your happiness on your terms is ultimately what matters. Its not like there are no transportation options for you to visit or them visit you.
I have seen family love and contributions to family turn into a positive when the person that leaves the nest is happy. Basically, you will learn that being a family counselor or problem solver only enables everyone around you to treat you that way.

Other than that, Hillcrest is a place to live is pretty cool. Generally speaking if you are used to urban settings, then its a nice fit. Its busy, has many outlets for meeting friends etc. Its one of the more social communities where you will find more locals hanging out as opposed to the Gaslamp which caters to a different audience. But for most folks that I have seen post here on this forum, its probably not their cup of tea.

Old 08-01-2010, 04:50 PM

3,113 posts, read 8,379,755 times
My advice would be to book a trip to San Diego sometime in the next year - maybe over Christmas, or Spring Break next year? And then forget all about it, and just live your life. So much can change in a year, and by the time your vacation in San Diego rolls around, you may be totally over your guilt, and ready to move on with your life - you never know? Or you may get here, and decide that while San Diego is a nice place to visit, your heart really does belong to NY.

It really doesn't take a year to plan a move like this, you could wait until next spring to decide. So why torture yourself now, when you're feeling so much guilt? Forget about it for now, enjoy your last year in school, and figure you'll know what to do when you get closer to graduation.

Old 08-01-2010, 04:52 PM

3,113 posts, read 8,379,755 times
Oh, and by the way, I lived in Hillcrest and loved it. Like shmoov_groovzsd says, it's not everyone's cup of tea, but it's a very cool community!

Old 08-01-2010, 05:45 PM

3,545 posts, read 6,032,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
Homeless, Noise and parking. Other than that, it's great.
I think the parking is the only thing that's an issue for the *whole* neighborhood. Homeless folks usually frequent the main streets and the canyons, but they're not anymore ubiquitous than any other "urban" San Diego neighborhood. Noise is a constant issue if you live near bars, but again, that's just the main drags.. Of course, you can have noisy neighbors anywhere.

In general it's a pretty great area to live, and there are plenty of streets that are off the main drag and really quite pleasant and quiet. You might also like South Park and University Heights, if that helps to broaden your search area

Old 08-01-2010, 06:23 PM

2,160 posts, read 5,853,343 times
It's too crowded and too far from the beach, IMO.

Old 08-01-2010, 07:08 PM

6,893 posts, read 8,935,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Encinitan View Post
give - me - a - break

Old 08-01-2010, 08:24 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,174,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Encinitan View Post

lol you're kidding right?

Old 08-01-2010, 08:50 PM

2,160 posts, read 5,853,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliguy19 View Post
lol you're kidding right?
Um, no, I wasn't. I thought we were saying why we would never live in Hillcrest. And for me, if I have to get in a car and drive 20 minutes or whatever to surf, I couldn't live there. I wasn't kidding. News flash: Not everyone wants to live in Hillcrest. Shocking, I know, but true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego