Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2010, 10:02 PM

418 posts, read 1,312,682 times

Advertisements

Would this be a okay area to live in, or would it be to noisy. It appears the way the landing strip at the airport lines up that planes must fly right overhead there just before landing or after take off.

Anyone here live around there or can give me any advice? It looks like a really convenient place to be, so close to the park and walking distance to the bay and to downtown. But am wondering if the airplane or traffic noise would ruin someone's peace and quiet in their home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2010, 10:29 PM

4,542 posts, read 12,409,026 times
Yes, Fir, Grape and Hawthorne are DIRECTLY under the flight path. It will be loud. The only thing that could make it palatable is that they shut down the airport at night. On the other hand, the noise falls off rather rapidly away from the direct flight line of the planes.

Old 08-21-2010, 07:52 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,277,935 times
kettlepot is correct. It will be loud there for sure. The trade off is worth it if you find a good deal in that area though. The incoming flight intervals are roughly 8-10 mins.
The takeoffs however shouldnt be bad.
Just think about how much time you will be at home. Working 8-10 hour days 5 days a week? Are you a weekend warrior?

Old 08-21-2010, 10:25 AM

3,545 posts, read 6,034,824 times
Yup, you're under the flight path. Some people hate it, some people it doesn't bother. When I was down there I barely noticed the places after a little while, and actually enjoyed watching them come in to land. The only time it was really annoying (to me) was when we'd have the Santa Anas and the planes would actually take off heading East instead of West- much noisier on takeoff than on landing.

No noise at night, but they start up fairly early in the morning.

Old 08-21-2010, 02:19 PM

418 posts, read 1,312,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shmoov_groovzsd View Post
kettlepot is correct. It will be loud there for sure. The trade off is worth it if you find a good deal in that area though. The incoming flight intervals are roughly 8-10 mins.
The takeoffs however shouldnt be bad.
Just think about how much time you will be at home. Working 8-10 hour days 5 days a week? Are you a weekend warrior?

Unfortunately I am disabled and am home 23 hrs a day most days. I have a feeling I would hate it there with planes going right over my head every 10 minutes.

Thanks for the input everyone.

Who remembers the plane crash back around 1980 sometime? What streets did that plane come down on? Anyone know?

Old 08-21-2010, 02:24 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,277,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beware_of_Dog View Post
Unfortunately I am disabled and am home 23 hrs a day most days. I have a feeling I would hate it there with planes going right over my head every 10 minutes.

Who remembers the plane crash back around 1980 sometime? What streets did that plane come down on? Anyone know?
Yeah, that was in North Park. PSA flight 182.

Old 08-21-2010, 03:05 PM

3,545 posts, read 6,034,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beware_of_Dog View Post

1978, Dwight and Nile. That's in North Park.

There was a *really* good documentary about it that aired on KPBS not too long ago. Locals, if you have a chance to see it, you really should (especially if you were living in SD at the time).

Return to Dwight & Nile

Old 08-21-2010, 06:02 PM

2,299 posts, read 4,828,309 times
Unhappy The Plane Crash

Well that brings back awful memories. I'm Retired Navy and the Regimental Commander for our class at Officer Candidate School was head back to San Diego from visiting his new wife at Post Grad School in Monterey; of course he died along with all the others on that flight!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego